Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hub Extension Specifics 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisV
Can anyone help me with specifics on the Hub extension Complete Black, part number 911-106-033-00 NLA? (aka fan housing extension, alternator shield, cooling fan hub, alternator hub, etc.)
Click to view attachment
The PDF parts catalogs seem to suggest this part number is shared with 1970-73 911 and 1978-83 turbo.

I've seen some 911 threads indicating there are 5 and 6 hole versions. Assuming the parts catalog drawing is correct, 6 is what is needed for 914-6.

Is it actually black? I've been hitting the Google machine and all I find are primer gray. Are they fiberglass with metal fins?

Thanks for your help with my tedious questions. As I dig through what we're missing, it seems like the devil is in the details. happy11.gif
fixer34
Even though it has been years since I had mine apart, I can confirm the ducting shroud that bolts to the back of the alternator, and that it has 6 holes.
I think (but not sure) that it was all fiberglass. Not sure of color.
mepstein
Grey plastic with metal fins attached with rivets. There’s more than one shape so it’s not a universal fit. If you have to repair or replace the fins, use some small screws and locking nuts.
DennisV
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 15 2022, 10:42 AM) *

There’s more than one shape so it’s not a universal fit.

@mepstein Can you be more specific so I know what I'm looking for to use on a 1970 914-6? Other than the number of bolt holes, I'm having a tough time finding distinguishing features. Thanks.
mepstein
QUOTE(DennisV @ Sep 15 2022, 02:09 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 15 2022, 10:42 AM) *

There’s more than one shape so it’s not a universal fit.

@mepstein Can you be more specific so I know what I'm looking for to use on a 1970 914-6? Other than the number of bolt holes, I'm having a tough time finding distinguishing features. Thanks.

I’m sorry I can’t at the moment but I know when I was looking for one for my 3.2, not all of them fit correctly. They are pretty common so usually $30-60 will get you one off eBay etc. If the blades are rusty or broken, just drill out the aluminum rivets, fix, paint and bolt back on.
Front yard mechanic
My 77 has grey fiberglass with fiberglass blades riveted on the holes line up with the alternator so it only fits one way
Krieger
I have a spare one in the attic if you'd like to look at it or borrow.
DennisV
QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 15 2022, 10:13 PM) *

Hey Andy. Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately the car is in another state, so I don't have anything physical to match it to at the moment.

If you have one that you know is a fit for 914-6 and can share photos and / or any distinguishing factors that would be great. All I know right now is there are at least 3 different versions that can be distinguished by number of bolt holes (3, 5, 6). Differences in shape described by @mepstein I've not yet been able to identify.

I'm not finding any decent ones for $30-60. So I am probably going to have to make a 3-figure leap of faith on something.
mepstein
QUOTE(DennisV @ Sep 16 2022, 08:24 AM) *

QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 15 2022, 10:13 PM) *

Hey Andy. Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately the car is in another state, so I don't have anything physical to match it to at the moment.

If you have one that you know is a fit for 914-6 and can share photos and / or any distinguishing factors that would be great. All I know right now is there are at least 3 different versions that can be distinguished by number of bolt holes (3, 5, 6). Differences in shape described by @mepstein I've not yet been able to identify.

I'm not finding any decent ones for $30-60. So I am probably going to have to make a 3-figure leap of faith on something.

When you figure out the right one, do a wtb on pelican. they really arent so rare that they should be expensive.
johnhora
DennisV

Here is the one with the fiberglass fins
It fits the stock Bosch alternator for the 914-6
The one on my six has the metal fins that are very similar in shape and pop rivet on like the fiberglass one.
I think this one came off a 71 911T CIS engine.
The problem with these is that the plastic cone is not very strong and many have broken mounting tabs where someone has torqued down the nuts way to much and either broken off or cracked the tabs.

Remember that this is internal to the fan housing and is not even seen from the outside.
So find a good one and use it no matter whether metal or fiberglass fins.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.