Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pertonix/Compufire/Crane
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TravisNeff
Sure the pain in the ass factor of adjusting dwell and replacing points/condensors is just about worth the expense - but is there any other benefit to them (besides point bounce at high rpm)??

I have a dead CHT, so it's one of those while I am ordering things....
nsyr
i just put in the crane xr700 in mine today and it does make it a better running engine. IMHO, ditch the points and convert, it's worth it.
tat2dphreak
anything is better than points... but keep a spare set of points just in case... I use a compufire
Trekkor
Do it!

Set and forget...Unless of course you install it wrong. ohmy.gif

KT
McMark
Electronic ignitions are less susceptable to distributor shaft wear. More smooth at higher RPM ranges. They boast of increased spark gap (ran my stock engine eith pertronix at 45 instead of 35). No maintenance.

Down side, they will burn out if you hook it up wrong, and they can die if the ignition is left on for long periods of time.
markb
I had a problem with the points closing up quickly. We put a crane in it and I wub.gif it! I wouldn't go back. I do think I should carry a second dist in the trunk with a points setup, just in case, but then I was a boy sprout way back when. biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Allison/Crane....best bet.

Pertonix....suckz.....
TravisNeff
That's good enough for me! The crane unit is double the price over the pertronics and compufire, any chebby places offer it for less (summit or whatever)??
Joe Bob
Yeah Summit and Pegasus are the best pricing....they sell them cheaper than what GPR and Pelican can get them for....
TravisNeff
Is the part number CRN-700-0231, they only list one unit for the XR700 points replacement. $90.99 at Summit
brp914
I put on a pertronix a few years ago. Simple install. No module, as opposed to others. If you get one with a module, dont mount on the engine. I went thru a couple of those years ago, back when they were Allison. The module cant handle the heat/vibration.

btw, you say your cht is bad. Had that happen, too. Isn't that weird? No moving parts. wtf?
TravisNeff
No kidding, everytime I do a ohm test on it I get different results within a minute or so of each other. then finally it showed an open circuit.
Aaron Cox
PERTRONIX - awesome kit. drop in. drive off.

Crane takes forever to setup.... is this on a carbed motor? if it is, weigh the 80 bucks toward a mallory unilite......

AA
TravisNeff
nope, fool injected
Rand
Pertonix....suckz.....

PERTRONIX - awesome

Ok, everything is perfectly clear now. Yack.gif

anything is better than points

Points aren't evil. They are easy to maintain, and they work just fine. Take care of them and they won't let you down.

But yes, a modern ET system is potentially better.

Glad that clears everything up.

And now for something completely different.
SLITS
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Aug 6 2005, 10:22 PM)
Crane takes forever to setup.... is this on a carbed motor? if it is, weigh the 80 bucks toward a mallory unilite......

AA

Only for budding engineers like Brit and Aaron.
rhodyguy
wrong coil resistance may burn up the compufire. follow the instructions precicely. if you put one in and it cranks, and cranks, and cranks,... put the points back in.

k
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Aug 7 2005, 08:20 AM)
wrong coil resistance may burn up the compufire. follow the instructions precicely. if you put one in and it cranks, and cranks, and cranks,... put the points back in.

k

not hard to ohm your coil before you buy wink.gif
rhodyguy
right aaron. just a heads up. i failed to due so and burned up $70 worth of a module when i was putting the 73' together. i spent 3 days chasing a "no start/no spark". the solder melted out of the bottom was appearent when i pulled it. couldn't see it when it was installed.

k
Joe Bob
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Aug 7 2005, 08:11 AM)
right aaron. just a heads up. i failed to due so and burned up $70 worth of a module when i was putting the 73' together. i spent 3 days chasing a "no start/no spark". the solder melted out of the bottom was appearent when i pulled it. couldn't see it when it was installed.

k

Ahhhh, ya let the magic smoke out..... dry.gif
rhodyguy
majick smoke is as scarce as hen's teeth. wink.gif smoke.gif

k
Rouser
QUOTE (Rand @ Aug 7 2005, 02:30 AM)
Pertonix....suckz.....

PERTRONIX - awesome

Ok, everything is perfectly clear now.

The usual responses for the Pertronix unit.

I've installed them on two 914's, they're over 4 years old, and STILL running strong; no hiccups, no problems.

All I can say is, if you're happy running points, go for it. If you wanna pay more for a breakerless module, buy a Crane or Compu-Fire unit.

The Pertronix unit does the job just fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.