Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Little Carb Help?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Craigers17
I just noticed today that my driver's side carb is leaking. It is leaking around the area where the fuel line mates up with the carb....in that little "T" portion. Just wondered if there is an accessible gasket behind that somewhere that might be shot or if anyone has an idea of the likely culprit leaking up that high. I believe these to be EMPI 40's. As a side note, they seem very "dialed in", and before this I haven't really had any issues.

On the off chance that it was leaking from the fuel line at the clamp, I removed it, cut off about a 1/2" and replaced with a fuel injection clamp. This is not the source of the leak. I am online now researching fixes, but didn't know if the carb gurus might chime in and give me some pointers. I realize I might just need to buy a rebuild kit and get to learn'n.

It's hard to tell by the photo, but the fuel is most apparent as it builds up on the that "barrel" portion where the EMPI logo is.

Thanks in advance.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sportlicherFahrer
Might try sourcing new crush washers that fit under the barb fitting and the plug opposite. There's also another bolt on the bottom that holds a small screen I believe, and it has one, too. Hopefully the crush washers fix it. On Webers I think the washers are a fiber material. May or may not work on the Empi.

The aluminum body that the fittings screw into is one piece with the carburetor top. If that's leaking, you'll likely need to find a new top.
Superhawk996
Take them apart.

Rebuild kit will have the fiber crush washers mentioned.

Alternate causes:
Stuck float - leaky needle valve. As carb bowl overfills it may begin leaking out from under the top plate.

Corrosion or porosity in that inlet / fuel strainer

Fuel strainer is usually plastic and it may have shrunk and/or been compromised by Ethanol.

Rebuild kit will have new gaskets, a new needle valve, and crush washers. Check the kit - not all come with a new fuel strainer.

Craigers17
Thanks for the tips! I'm gonna get a kit ordered soon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.