Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BRAKE LIGHT ON THE GAUGE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JLance67
Hi, I have a 914 with the 911 cluster and sb 350 conversion. What is the top red light in the oil/temp gauge that has a B in a circle for? It was blinking without touching the brake. This was after driving and noticed my brakes were acting like my calipers were sticking. When I got where I was going the brakes acted fully applied and it wouldn't roll at all like the emergency brake was applied but don't even have one. I did recently replace the master cylinder and have a full pedal. After a bit it will roll freely again. I press on the brake and the light blinks. The reservoir is full. Thanks for any advice!
Steve
That brake light is tide to a switch on the master cylinder and a switch on the emergency brake. Some master cylinders have a reset switch under a rubber boot that you have to manually push back in after replacing the master cylinder and or bleeding the brakes. It’s most likely the MC switch. If you don’t have the reset button on the MC switch, remove the wires and see if the light goes out. If it does, than you need either a new switch or need to fix the brakes.
Spoke
As Steve said, the B light comes from the warning switch on the MC. You can test if the switch is tripped by disconnecting the wire on the switch to see if the light goes off.

As far as the brakes dragging, that is some other issue. You may want to lift each tire; press the brakes and rotate the wheels and see if one caliper is sticking all all are sticking. I think there's an adjustment between the MC and the brake pedal. Make sure there's some free play between pressing the brake and depressing the MC plunger.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 18 2022, 09:31 AM) *

As Steve said, the B light comes from the warning switch on the MC. You can test if the switch is tripped by disconnecting the wire on the switch to see if the light goes off.

As far as the brakes dragging, that is some other issue. You may want to lift each tire; press the brakes and rotate the wheels and see if one caliper is sticking all all are sticking. I think there's an adjustment between the MC and the brake pedal. Make sure there's some free play between pressing the brake and depressing the MC plunger.

agree.gif
The brakes are lightly applied due to incorrect adjustment of the MC pushrod.
They heat up from constant application then release when allowed to cool.
Ajust so there is some play between the brake pushrod and the master piston.
The fact that they free-up after cooling probably eliminates stuck calipers.....
probably.
Dave_Darling
If you don't have an E-brake, meaning you don't have the handle, then you need to disconnect the button that the handle would normally press when it is all the way down.

If the button is not pressed, the car thinks the handbrake is set because the handle isn't all the way down. So it turns on the blinking light to remind you.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.