Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do clutch cables come in different lengths?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
My new one seems a bit long, but still adjusting within spec
914Sixer
Supposed to be one size, HOWEVER some of the older aftermarket Terry cables were long. Most people are missing the long spacer nut that goes on cable after the clevis goes on. Then the 11mm jamb nut follows that. So there is a total of 3 pieces.

Part number (From 356) 695 423 407 00
raw1298
That explains my issue.
mb911
I never knew that was what is supposed to be there.. what is the best place to get them at?.
930cabman
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 18 2022, 05:22 PM) *

I never knew that was what is supposed to be there.. what is the best place to get them at?.

screwy.gif screwy.gif

Me too, it looks as though a short piece of 1/8" brass/steel pipe would do the job. Call me a DAPO if you like
mb911
QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 18 2022, 03:30 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 18 2022, 05:22 PM) *

screwy.gif screwy.gif

Me too, it looks as though a short piece of 1/8" brass/steel pipe would do the job. Call me a DAPO if you like

Your right.. that's exactly what I will do.
914Sixer
There is a nut formed into the end of the spacer
aharder
Stoddard has them
https://www.stoddard.com/69542340700.html
bkrantz
I learned this here, too. I have always double-nutted mine, and found a thin open-end wrench to fit on the inner nut.
bdstone914
It is a part you can get at a Porsche dealer too for a little more. Might be cheaper overall if that is the only part you need ti order
. @mb911
mb911
Anyone know the length of it?
930cabman
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Sep 18 2022, 07:10 PM) *

I learned this here, too. I have always double-nutted mine, and found a thin open-end wrench to fit on the inner nut.

Did you get the correct threaded part? or a short piece of pipe?

I can get the adjustment where I want it , but the it's all the way to the end of the threaded portion. A sleeve will bring things much better
ClayPerrine
The original clutch clevis on a 914 was plastic and looked like this...

Click to view attachment

It was superseded by the metal one we are all familiar with.......

Click to view attachment

You will notice that the "ears" on the trunion don't really fit the clutch fork. When Porsche superseded the trunion, they didn't update the length of the clutch cable. So you have to put in a spacer to get the full adjustment on the cable.

If you buy one of these from Weltmeister, it works much better.

Click to view attachment

It is for a 911, so you have to trim off about 1/2 inch from the end. Once you do that, it fits right.

And you don't need a spacer. I put one on the original six, and it works great.

Clay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.