Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Observation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NARP74
I saw a lot of space saver spares tucked into frunks last weekend. They require an air source to pump them up prior to use. What are people using for the pumps? I am very familiar with some off road solutions but they are all big, bulky and heavy, not a good solution for a 914.
mgphoto
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Sep 20 2022, 08:12 AM) *

I saw a lot of space saver spares tucked into frunks last weekend. They require an air source to pump them up prior to use. What are people using for the pumps? I am very familiar with some off road solutions but they are all big, bulky and heavy, not a good solution for a 914.

I use a Porsche air compressor small triangle shape fits in the compact spare. I’ve had this setup for more than 10 years, I’ve never gotten a flat. Good insurance.
brant
I bought the smalled cigarette powered pump that I could find...
also some of the other brands of cars used to sell a compressed bottle for their space savers... I have one of those from a nissan.

but ultimately... I feared using a space saver for a long trip.
so I bought a full sized spare for peace of mind, and take out my front space saver for any events.... put the full sized in the rear trunk.

brant
914Sixer
I simply aired mine up to make it afull size spare.
jrmdir
Some people on the 911 forum recommended this so I got one. Have yet to see if it works (thankfully.) Yes, the tire will need to be thoroughly cleaned after repair but it does what is says it does, that would be worth the hassle.

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-steerin...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

Ron
jrmdir
Nothing new under the sun!

Let's all get big bottles of CO2!!

But, wait! How did she dismount the old tire on the side of the road - without getting her hands dirty? Or removing the wheel? What a woman!!

Click to view attachment
Steve
I use a full size boxster spare tire. As far as I know, collapsible spares are not available any more and far exceed there end of life date codes.
porschetub
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Sep 21 2022, 03:12 AM) *

Use a Porsche factory pump from a 944,good powerful pump unlike the small cheap nasty ones that get too hot pumping up a space saver from flat.
mb911
I have this NOS pump that was really popular in the 70s and 80s. If you want a deal on it let me know. Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
dakotaewing
you can find these on ebay for about $200
NARP74
I was mostly just asking. I have a bunch of solutions from the off road world. I have a full size spare and a donut spare I can use
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.