Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve adjustment question? Help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jaiden
hey all,

Well I decided to take a look at the valves but removing the valve covers is proving to be a pain.
I have a '75 2.0l in my '72 914. The valve covers are bolt on finned aluminum with metal vents on the top that pass through the engine tin and stick theough about 1.25 inches. The vents hook into the oil fill breather.
I could not get the cover off without removing this vent. The problem is that the vent is through mounted on the valve cover and there is no way to put the vents back in? I thought the vents were supposed to face the tranny and come through the engine tin past the valve cover. The covers have holes that face that way but are threaded holes plugged with screws. It does not look like anything the directions show.

Also after getting the covers off my valve adjustment locking nuts need at 14mm not a 13mm what gives?

Any thoughts
Joe Bob
Sound like aftermarket units....
GS9146Driver
I'll bet the PO did all the work with the engine removed, then reinstalled it. Never to find out about the trouble they created. Some people like to pull the engine to do their engine work. It lets them use some of their really cool tools. screwy.gif
As last resort, you might have to back date the valve covers to original, though the wire bail retainers can be a little tricky to unlatch and latch. Just my exp.
The vents hook into the oil fill breather.

Is there a breather line vented to the air filter or a puke bottle? If the crank case is only vented to valve covers then where is the pressure going to go? Kind of a closed loop thing going on. Is this thing carbed or inj?
I don't know about the 14mm nuts. confused24.gif

good luck,
geo
SLITS
Earlier cars had a 8 mm screw with 13 mm lock nut.

Late cars have 10 mm screw with 14 mm lock nut.

Duh!

Later cars ('75 - '76) did not vent the heads...so, some people added the vents to the valve covers. There is a boss on the head that can be drilled and tapped to emulate the sustem on the '73 - '74. Late cars were "closed" for emissions.

This is for a 2.0L
Dave_Darling
Those cast aluminum bolt-on covers suck anyway. They all seem to leak about ten times worse than the originals ever did... Plus they put stress on the rocker stand bolts, which are not very overengineered to begin with.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jaiden @ Aug 6 2005, 07:24 PM)
Strange valve covers with vents?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Jaiden
hey guys,
I'll post picks tommorrow when I get to work.

I think that the Owner who put the 75 2.0 did all the work with the motor out.
I'm going to have to find a way to get these valve covers back on so moving the vent or maybe fabbing a way to attach the vents after attaching the valve covers to the motor.

Oh yeah and the valve covers leaked but the covers look like nice quality pieces.
Jaiden
oh yeah it's a carbed 75 that an owner (at least two ago) had installed.

The internals for the head look really clean too so I think a rebuild wasn't so long ago.

Joe Bob
You don't NEED the vents. Those aftermarket covers really do suck.
Al Meredith
Jake Rabe showed me some carbon fiber valve covers that were a little deeper on top to accomadate for a high lift cam.
Jaiden
Here are the pics

Jaiden
The inside pic. You can see the second port. SHould I get these welded up or something?

Jaiden
Anyone?
redshift
I would swaP in a stock set.

Of course, I fix my car, and 5 days later, it's worse than before, but maybe my advice isn't broken?

Hard to tell, I noticed both my eyes twitch funny now, and I dream about re-re-re-redoing everything I did last dream..

M
Dave_Darling
I agree with Miles--swap in a stock set.

(Agree with Miles? I feel so *filthy* now...)

--DD
redshift
It washes off, best to use Pam no-stick before agreeing, and then a spermicidal gel afterwards.

GoJo, and phosphor work too.

M
SGB
I gotta agree that it looks like a scary attachment- the rocker assy & bolts were not designed to be loaded that way. Seems like it would mess with valve clearance and cause some weird thermal stresses too.
redshift
The ones I have seen, needed machining to get them true enough to seal.

I have seen, like in the roaring '80s, whole magazing articles on how to modify them to work...

confused24.gif

Is it not hard enough? heh

M
Jaiden
Guys all humour aside I really need to get these covers back on the car.

How much for stockers with the bail wire? When I looked quickly they are crazy expensive new. How about used?

What about using the Other port in the covers? How about other ways to close off these holes?

Can I really close off the vents? While I was checking the motor I did notice on the drivers side that the connection at the vent hose would "bubble" a little Because the hose was a little loose. Does that mean that I have a positive pressure in the crankcase and I need a vent?

I have no knowledge of what this motor has had done to it. Even the PO did not know exactly.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jaiden @ Aug 8 2005, 08:30 AM)
How much for stockers with the bail wire? When I looked quickly they are crazy expensive new. How about used?

call EASY, can't be more than $5-$10 for the pair (used of course) ...

EASY

wink.gif Andy
SLITS
You are already vented (supposedly) thru the oil filler assembly, so those vents are "extra".

If you need a set of bails and covers, they can come from California if you PM me your address, but I would think you could find them locally. Yeh, it's an offer to send you a pair...I'll trade you.
Jaiden
Thanks for the offer Slits I really appreciate it.
I'm going to check out the local yards first and If I really don't need the vents I could just plug the holes. If I can't come up with anything I'll PM you.

If the Alum. Covers are so bad why would you even want them?
SLITS
I don't.....that way I wouldn't charge you the cost of sending the others to you. It was an afterthought 'cause all my friends are on my case for giving parts away free.

Oh well!
SGB
I plugged those vents with a stub of hose and some brass stock. I didn't hose-clamp 'em on, and did have some oil get pushed past the slip on connection point. Its true that the heads are at equal pressure as the crankcase 'cause of the PR tubes I guess, but I think you can get some short term pressure differentials from oil sloshing back & forth in the case, into the PR tubes, etc, during turns.
I removed my block off peices and put in a bug-pack oil breather thing on the back firewall.
I think if you block the vents it will increase the potential for valve cover gasket leaks.
just my 2 million pesos.
redshift
QUOTE (SGB @ Aug 8 2005, 02:03 PM)

just my 2 million pesos.

Trade you 13,000 Iraqi Dinar...

M
Mueller
I'll give you $20 for those aluminum covers smile.gif
Jaiden
I had an Idea last night that I think will solve all of my problems.
It was so simple I almost kicked myself for not thinking of it sooner.

I'm gonna fill the holes with a grommet and a pcv valve. That way I can install the covers first and then install the pcv valve. I'm going to the Auto Parts store at lunch today to get the parts!

If I decide I want to get rid of the aluminum covers I'll let you all know.

Oh and I'll post pics tonight or tommorrow of the finished product.

Man no I want my gaskets to show up asap!!!

Thanks again guys!
Jaiden
All cleaned up with Gromets installed.
Jaiden
Another
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.