Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damn air box cables
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hndyhrr
I have about had it!. I am hooking up cables from the control sliders to the vent things.

I Have been trying all day and it is not working as planned. Hooked up the one that goes to the thing on driver side and oh lucky me...... The Black knob in car won't completely go all the way to the closed side. adjusted cable and the same thing happens for it to open. ! @#$%^&*() I am about to use my mechanics/pirate language on here.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've attached a couple of pic's. Yes I know walk away for a bit and that doesn't help. Yes the cables are hooked to control in car the correct way then thru that stinking 3 hole grommet. Thought the one on the drive side front would be easiest but oh hell no. Think Ill go have another beer and another.

confused24.gif beer3.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
hndyhrr
QUOTE(hndyhrr @ Sep 21 2022, 05:42 PM) *

I have about had it!. I am hooking up cables from the control sliders to the vent things.

I Have been trying all day and it is not working as planned. Hooked up the one that goes to the thing on driver side and oh lucky me...... The Black knob in car won't completely go all the way to the closed side. adjusted cable and the same thing happens for it to open. ! @#$%^&*() I am about to use my mechanics/pirate language on here.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've attached a couple of pic's. Yes I know walk away for a bit and that doesn't help. Yes the cables are hooked to control in car the correct way then thru that stinking 3 hole grommet. Thought the one on the drive side front would be easiest but oh hell no. Think Ill go have another beer and another.

confused24.gif beer3.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Sorry for double pic, Can't even get that right tonight
bbrock
First, one thing for sure is that you won't succeed until you DO use your mechanics/pirate words. Empty your pockets and fill the swear jar before your proceed.

Second, the factory manual specifies that the cable sheathing should extend about 5mm past the clip holding them to the control boxes. Yours look like they may be sticking out too far and it does affect the geometry of the cables. I'd start by making sure they are positioned to spec and then try to readjust. I'm not promising this will end your troubles, but hopefully will nudge things in the right direction. Argh pirate.gif bye1.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 22 2022, 12:59 PM) *

First, one thing for sure is that you won't succeed until you DO use your mechanics/pirate words. Empty your pockets and fill the swear jar before your proceed.

Second, the factory manual specifies that the cable sheathing should extend about 5mm past the clip holding them to the control boxes. Yours look like they may be sticking out too far and it does affect the geometry of the cables. I'd start by making sure they are positioned to spec and then try to readjust. I'm not promising this will end your troubles, but hopefully will nudge things in the right direction. Argh pirate.gif bye1.gif

All mine is pretty much deleted including the control unit as I have a "six" with headers and have a thing about hauling around stuff I don't need or use however certain cables have been left in place and parts removed have been marked and stored away.
The clamps that retain the cables leave a mark on the cable outer so start with that as a referance,good luck.

76-914
Be sure to test for full deflection with the cable removed. I found a pencil and a pocket comb (different 914's) that had dropped into the dash vents and prevented the flapper valve from rotating fully. When you're finished with that try Monkeying around with the glove box door springs. happy11.gif
mb911
Working through mine right now. I think I have something screwed up but not sure of my routing. Guess I have nothing to offer.
IronHillRestorations
Hope this helps. My factory manuals are buried in a storage unit at the moment.
PanelBilly
I set the whole thing up on the workbench first. It was easy to adjust the cables and make sure it worked properly when you could see it all work. Then I used some painters tape to mark the cable shields and notch the cables themselves. Was still a pain to install but the adjustments were right on.
hndyhrr
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 23 2022, 12:07 PM) *

Be sure to test for full deflection with the cable removed. I found a pencil and a pocket comb (different 914's) that had dropped into the dash vents and prevented the flapper valve from rotating fully. When you're finished with that try Monkeying around with the glove box door springs. happy11.gif

Found a pencil already and tons of dirt. oh also a pen. Put those springs on glove box before we re installed whole dash. I remembered what a bitch they were to get off.

Thanks
Renee
hndyhrr
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 23 2022, 07:17 PM) *

I set the whole thing up on the workbench first. It was easy to adjust the cables and make sure it worked properly when you could see it all work. Then I used some painters tape to mark the cable shields and notch the cables themselves. Was still a pain to install but the adjustments were right on.

Great idea but..... already in car and NOT coming out again. lol

my problem is with the cable from top black knob to flapper box. adjust cable one way doesn't open all the way. Adjust again and won't close all the way. At this point I think it is the cable, it is a bit bent up. Ordered a new one from 914 rubber and am going to change it out when the cable gets here.

Thanks

Renee
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.