Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 99 mm P&C's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
930cabman
Recently got my 2056 rockin and she has a nice kick, with an Elgin street cam and twin Weber 40's. I have yet to run any A/F testing and the Master Cyl is on the docket for this weekend.

96mm pistons are a common update, are 99 or 100 mm pistons a thing? Can the VW cast iron cylinders be opened up a bit. Is anybody making 99 or 100 pistons/rings? I have looked and can find nothing on the subject.

TIA
mate914

European motorworks.com

Matt flag.gif

Superhawk996
There are plenty of big bore kits out there. They all have the same longevity issues created by excess heat.

Nickies are the way to go to do big bore and have some decent heat rejection and durability.

Bigger is not always better - especially when dealing with cast iron cylinders and air cooling. Don’t have to take my word for it. Benchmark what Porsche did when they went beyond 400 cc per cylinder.
930cabman
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 23 2022, 06:04 PM) *

There are plenty of big bore kits out there. They all have the same longevity issues created by excess heat.

Nickies are the way to go to do big bore and have some decent heat rejection and durability.

Bigger is not always better - especially when dealing with cast iron cylinders and air cooling. Don’t have to take my word for it. Benchmark what Porsche did when they went beyond 400 cc per cylinder.

My thoughts exactly, the boys in Stuggart knew (know) their stuff. The 96's I am running now are working great, but would consider a bit larger for the next build. Being the CSOB I am Nickies are out of the question. At 2056 we are already past the 400/cyl number
JamesM
96s are drop in replacements, anything larger requires machining the case.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.