Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lowering the front end
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
Looking to lower the front end on my car after new struts installed. Car now too high in front. Is there some relationship between the number of turns of the adjuster screw/bolt and how much lower the car will sit after adjustment?
If I turn the screw say a half turn, how much lower will the car sit? 1/2"? 1"? Or is it a trial and error thing? Adjust, put it on the ground and drive it, check measurement at top of wheel opening

If I dont get it aligned right way, can car still be driven without any negative effects on how it drives, handles.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Ed
URY914
Crank it a few turns then rolls it a 10' and back and measure it. Rolling it allows for the suspension to take on a new setting and "relax". Jacking it up to take some weight off the wheel will make turning the bolt easier. Also give it a squirt of oil to allow it to turn easier.
mlindner
I'd mark it on a stick where you are at. Then take one full turn counter-clock wise to lower....drive around the block and mark it again on the stick. Another turn etc. You don't need to jack car up to lower. Just turn wheel left or right to reach behind to adjust....just did nine last week. Best, Mark
porschetub
QUOTE(mlindner @ Sep 25 2022, 12:58 PM) *

I'd mark it on a stick where you are at. Then take one full turn counter-clock wise to lower....drive around the block and mark it again on the stick. Another turn etc. You don't need to jack car up to lower. Just turn wheel left or right to reach behind to adjust....just did nine last week. Best, Mark

agree.gif thats what I did and few marks with a metal marker ...took little really.
EJP914
Many thanks guys. It's on the list for tomorrow.
914Sixer
Just a side note, the front end always set higher to meet DOT headlight regulations. 914's had the motor boat look as I called it.
Spoke
QUOTE(EJP914 @ Sep 24 2022, 11:06 PM) *

Many thanks guys. It's on the list for tomorrow.

@EJP914

Keep in mind that you most likely will have to adjust the toe on the front end if you lower or raise the front end.
VaccaRabite
Not sure if you did this already. If you turn the adjuster too much and it runs off the worm gear, that corner will immediately collapse to the ground. Always have the front end supported.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.