Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winter storage/Tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
Winter storage in a heated garage kept at 50 degrees. Put it up on jack stands to save the tires, or roll it out of the garage every month to avoid flat spots? I have all season tires, not high performance summer tires.
Shivers
I'm probably the last person here that should answer this, but, I have a mass of cousins in the Dover and Rockaway NJ area. One has a 69 Vett and in the winter I believe it is air up, do not exceed limit and park on 2" foamboard to help with flat spots. At least in his garage
NARP74
They sell tire pads to stop flat spotting. That way you don't have to have the suspension hanging.
Chris914n6
jack stands.
mlindner
I'm lucky to have a garage that heated and cooled the same as my house. I use two layers of carpeting under the tire area, leave doors at first latch (keeps door seals soft), put rolled up old socks under wiper blades arms (blades off windshield) , battery tender, wash/wax and then car cover if needed. Opps, first change oil. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
Big Len
On stands or 6 x 6 blocks, but just enough to take much but not all of the weight off. The tires still touch the floor.
mlindner
QUOTE(Big Len @ Sep 26 2022, 02:20 PM) *

On stands or 6 x 6 blocks, but just enough to take much but not all of the weight off. The tires still touch the floor.

If I was going to use stands, that is the way to do it. I would not want my struts at full droop all winter.
Geezer914
Thanks for the replies, I like the the idea of blocks under the suspension with the tires just off the floor.
Craigers17
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

confused24.gif
RRietman
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Sep 26 2022, 05:40 PM) *

OK so I have thought about this a bit as I am 6 months here and 6 months there. here's what I do-----nothing. I don't want the suspension to be in a place it wasn't meant to be. tires that are in decent shape won't flat spot (much) in 6 months. just get in the car and drive it. the tires will work themselves out. it's no different than getting in your toyota when it's 15 degrees out and taking off with cold.hard tires.
took the 74 out for a spin today after sitting for 3 months. tires a little hard for a few miles then fine.
Good Luck
Randy
in 85 degree texas
bkrantz
I agree with Randy, especially for "ordinary" tire compounds and sizes. If you want to do something, add an extra 10 psi (some of that will leak out during storage anyway).

Yes, your suspension is better sitting in a normal position. Plus, if you or someone else ever has to move your car in a hurry, it's ready to roll.
VaccaRabite
Here in York PA I try not to drive the car too much after the first winter salt. But on nice days I can't help myself.

Still the car may sit a month between rides in the winter. And the car sat for 5 years in the garage with nothing special done to the tires.

If they are modern tires, I'd just park it. Unplug the battery maybe, or put a tender on it.

Zach
Montreal914
When I was a high school student, I was working part time in a tire shop catering to up-scale clientele. The owner offered some of his high paying customers winter storage for their summer tires. Tires/alloy wheel combo were removed from the car, labeled, and pressure reduced to 15psi FWIW.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.