Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fan Housing Color for 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisV
Does anyone know what coating was used at the factory for the fan housing on 914-6? Or at the very least know the original color?

I have found a few 914 threads. I have also found several detailed 911 threads. They are all over the map (i.e. bare, powder coat, ceramic / Cerikote, paint, etc.). What I can't find is a 914-6 reference.

Ours was missing. Bought a new one off eBay. Don't know what model car it came off of. It's currently black on the outside and silver on the inside. Appears to have been painted.

Thank you.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mepstein
They were coated with some stuff to help corrosion but it didn’t add any color to the material. Not like paint, powder or cerikote. Basically if you lightly bead blasted and wipe down with WD-40, it will look similar.
davep
The castings can be machined to different depths for different alternators. Make sure of the fit when installing.
DennisV
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 27 2022, 10:07 AM) *

They were coated with some stuff to help corrosion but it didn’t add any color to the material. Not like paint, powder or cerikote. Basically if you lightly bead blasted and wipe down with WD-40, it will look similar.

Hey mepstein. Here's my after (light glass bead blast) photo. I've been reading some good things about Gibbs Brand Lubricant on magnesium. Any experience with that?

Click to view attachment
DennisV
QUOTE(davep @ Sep 27 2022, 04:59 PM) *

The castings can be machined to different depths for different alternators. Make sure of the fit when installing.

Excellent point Dave. Luckily I discovered this when I started investigating the casting numbers. I did a blog post on the variations I'm aware of. My understanding is, if you’re about a 914-6, you should be looking for casting number 901.106.101.5R with a depth of 86 mm (lip to alternator mount face). Please feel free to correct me if mistaken.
Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(DennisV @ Sep 27 2022, 11:19 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 27 2022, 10:07 AM) *

Hey mepstein. Here's my after (light glass bead blast) photo. I've been reading some good things about Gibbs Brand Lubricant on magnesium. Any experience with that?

Click to view attachment

Yes. I used Gibbs on a couple pieces years ago and it’s held up well. It’s just a light coating but it makes it hard for dirt to take hold. Just reapply with a rag as needed.
914Sixer
LPS-III is another option. Heavy type film that flows in to the voids.
PanelBilly
I had mine refinished with coating that the local powder coat guy recommended. The think was effected the way everything fit back together. And I need to sand some spots to make it right. It does look good but not stock at all
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.