Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
Have 73 1.7. Car will not start. Everything electrical works, lights are bright, radio, fan motors all work. I turn the key, the FI system makes its usual buzz sound, the red alternator light is on in the gauge cluster, and then nothing. Not a sound! I don't hear the typical click, click sound from a dead battery. It seems I have no power back to the starter. Starter doe not even try to turn. I charged the battery last nite thinking that might be the problem, but this morning...zippo! All fuses and relays are OK. Is it possible the battery doe not have enough juice to turn the car over? Battery is about 5-6 yrs old and car is not driven much, but it has always turned over. Car stared yesterday morning, went for a drive, but last evening is when all of this BS started. Any suggestions??? I appreciate all help and responses. Thanks mad.gif
DonTraver
Simplest thing, try jumping it. If that works, you need a new battery. If that doesn't do it, try a remote starter switch. If it still doesn't work, it gets harder. Like checking all connections, etc.

Good luck, Don
EJP914
Just put in new battery...still nothing
GWN7
check your connections on the starter....if still nothing, pull the starter and test it by attaching jumper cables to the starter while it's on the ground. Put you foot on it while you touch the ground cable to the outside of the case so the starter doesn't jump around. If it works, check the ignition switch at the back where the wires plug in.
rhodyguy
the car started fine yest when it was cold, correct? then you came home after a drive and it failed to start when hot? when the starter finally gives it up for good, it doesn't matter whether it's hot OR cold. even the old smacking on the starter with a hammer fails to help. have you ever replaced the starter? have you cleaned the bat terminals and posts?

k
Hammy
Had a problem a while back where you'd turn the key, and would get only the fuel pump. No turning over. nothing.
I believe it was a bad ground, I believe the starter ground is to the tranny? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Check there. Also, my starter relay that my crooked mechanic rigged up had a bad fuse on it, and I think that turned out to be the real problem.
Hope thats of some help... dry.gif
Joe Bob
Do the dance.....check the voltage at the battery terminals...should be minmum 12.5 volts.

Check your ground strap under the trunk that attaches to your trans.

Get a mallet and gently whack the solenoid....

Try and start it....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.