Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Killing spyders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JoeSharp
Thomas and I have a way to kill large spyders. Get out the shop vac and suck the guy right in and then fill it with starter fluid until it blows. ar15.gif
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
SLITS
Uhhhhhh....who blows? this is beginning to sound like a "Tale of Two Cities" (Corona & Costa Mesa).

Spiders..........unless you're one of them bf'n Limeys.

Can of "Quick Start" works too!
MrKona
Hey that's kind of scary... you realize that spider is a female black widow!? ohmy.gif
ArtechnikA
i have found that wasp spray will knock them down and out for the count in short order. so far, we haven't found any evidence of black widows in the stuff we moved East but they were plentiful in SoCal and northern NV.

(here, we just have to worry about fiddleback (brown recluse) spiders and Lyme Disease ticks -- and West Nile from mosquitos, and ...
Joe Bob
When those spiders are around an area that isn't expensive or flamable.....a gud blast with a blow torch is fun.... rocking nana.gif
Jake Raby
Carb cleaner-

It's kill em in their tracks!
snflupigus
Black widows are tougher to kill for some reason... they breath through their skin or something.

I use raid's roach killer. If it will kill a roach - it will kill anything is my theory. Hit a widow with it and about 10 seconds of freaking out and running around their legs start to not work very well and they run in circles till they finally curl up. Its fun smile.gif
sportlicherFahrer
if it is on a web away from anything flamable or easily damaged, I always favored a torch and a good can of brake parts cleaner. happy11.gif Or if you want, soak the thing down, then spray a line on the ground or whatever and light that up and watch it go straight towards the spider. biggrin.gif
redshift
They taste great.

M
morph
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Aug 7 2005, 09:58 AM)
Carb cleaner-

It's kill em in their tracks!

agree.gif
good ole carb clean,awsome bug killer. they squirm alittle then DIE.
james
Rand
A friend of mine held a match under a spider's nest one time thinking he was going to destroy it, and got a freaky surprise... it quickly popped open and a ton of baby spiders came crawling out all over... Always go in with extra fire power! ohmy.gif
Hammy
I remember once I was underneath the rear of the 914 taking the rear bumper off, when I looked up into the left rear fender and saw a big fat juicy black widow staring at me. I nearly hit my head I jumped up so fast from out underneath... rolleyes.gif I felt like a little girl. Then I got the hose and soaked the bastard.
ematulac
Tons of those in my mom's neighborhood. We used to knock them down and spray them with spray adhesive so they would stick to the ground and spray a line of adhesive going towards it. Then we would light the other end and watch the flames race towards the spider and roast it. happy11.gif

Powerwashers also work pretty good for washing out spiders, wasps, wasp nests, etc.
meares
i had a friend that was bitten on the NECK by a black widow while pressure washing a deck........sheeesh....he was in bed for 8 days!! wacko.gif barf.gif
djporsche
my dad showed me how to use a can of wd40 and a lighter. it works real good. ar15.gif
eeyore
I thought the best way to kill a Spyder was to take it out to intersection of Routes 41 and 466 (near San Robles) smash it with a Ford Tudor.

Spiders, on the other hand...
Sammy
When i was putting the 3 liter engine back together I was trying to connect the wires on the alternator that are under the shroud and behind the fan.
Takes quite a but if finnagling to get my fat finners in there.
Anywho, as I was all scrunched up, I happened to look in the fan that was about 4 inches in front of my face. Yep, a big ole black widow was perched in the fan half way between my face and my hands.
I jumped back so fast i left the skin from two knuckles on the fan housing and fell flat on my ass as i tripped over the base of the engine stand.
A good shot of parts cleaner took care of the spider but I was real careful about sticking my hands back in that engine for a while.
Hammy
QUOTE (Cloudbuster @ Aug 8 2005, 09:50 AM)
I thought the best way to kill a Spyder was to take it out to intersection of Routes 41 and 466 (near San Robles) smash it with a Ford Tudor.

Spiders, on the other hand...

cool.gif .... ohmy.gif
Britain Smith
It is kinda funny because right after reading this thread this weekend, I went outside to start working on my car and one the first thing that I did I found this...

Like it has been said above, it is hard to kill these things. I sprayed it with brake cleaner twice and it was still alive when I went back to scoop it up with a paper towel.

-Britain

YksKrad
Atleast widows are larger and easier to spot... Recluses bites I don't think are as bad, but a little brown spider is damn hard to spot.
redshift
Widow bites leave mosquito scars... a recluse bite isn't something you know you have, until you are already looking like Captain Ebola.

pinch.gif

M
SpecialK
QUOTE (YksKrad @ Aug 9 2005, 12:52 AM)
Atleast widows are larger and easier to spot... Recluses bites I don't think are as bad, but a little brown spider is damn hard to spot.

Hmmm.....must've missed the "little brown spider bite" pic. After 11 days a black widow bite is forgotten by everyone (except the person that got bit). After 11 days a brown recluse bite is there for everyone to admire.... icon8.gif
gaz914
We have those over here as well, but we take notice of THESE

Apart from finding these inside your house, people find them at the BOTTOM of the pool and think they must be dead after beng there for a few days. NUH, they go after you ohmy.gif

We have got heaps of cool "nasties" to avoid cool.gif

cheers
GAZ
Sammy
I know a guy who got bit several times by a brown recluse spider, he ended up losing his entire left arm and left leg.

He's all right now wink.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Sammy @ Aug 9 2005, 07:18 AM)
I know a guy who got bit several times by a brown recluse spider, he ended up losing his entire left arm and left leg.

He's all right now wink.gif

sad.gif lol2.gif chairfall.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.