Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swl
I've looked at the diagrams for the front caliper and it looks like they should just pull off once the retainer and boot are removed. They will tap inward with a little force (they haven't moved in 20 years) but my initial (gentle) attempts to rotate them have not been successful. Any hints?
MattR
Welcome to the club!

Yep, the calipers will come right out after the dust cover and retaining ring are removed. You can blow them out with compressed air, but WATCH YOUR FINGERS. Theres a lot of force in there. Pelican has a tech article for rebuilding calipers.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...per_rebuild.htm

Hope that helps wink.gif
swl
Thanks, I had found the rear rebuild instructions but missed that one for the front.
ChrisFoley
They are held in by more than just the seals though.
There are spring loaded mechanisms inside the pistons that ride on a pin in the center of the cylinder behind each piston. The mechanisms are designed to limit the travel of the piston while allowing for brake pad wear.
swl
thanks Chris - I can just see that pin in the diagram. It seems to just sit there - no action required during piston removal right? I got the cylinders up to about 110 PSI and only had about a 1/16th jump on one piston when I tapped with a hammer. Probably going to have to put it back on the car.
Eric_Shea
If they haven't moved in 20 years you'll either need to:

1) Put them back in the car and pump them out with brake fluid or,
2) Using a hydraulic grease gun, remove the nozzle, screw the threaded portion into the caliper and pump them out with grease.

You need a fluid to get pistons out that have been in there for 20 years. Air compresses too much.

You'll also need some bore plugs/stops/covers/seals (whatever you want to call them). Once a piston is out you need to seal that bore so you can get the other out. You can make the seals out of some heavy steel stock and some rubber washers which can be had at Lowe's. You use common C-Clamps to hold them into place while you pump out the other piston. It takes a tremendous amount of pressure to get those out.

Have fun w00t.gif

Welcome to the club smilie_pokal.gif
swl
back on the car it is then. Will be a while 'till I can try it though. Rears are off and I don't want to put them back on until my rotors arrive.

Actually I am having fun. Got my youngest working with me - think I have him hooked. He does the dirty grunt work and I provide advise. This is going to be his car so he has to earn it with sweat and bashed knuckles. Gotta love this bonding stuff slap.gif
Eric_Shea
Actually I am having fun.

Check back in with us when you (or your poor son) dig into those pistons. biggrin.gif

I need one of those... two girls here. Can I borrow yours when you're done abusing him? laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.