Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side Marker Seal/Gasket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jetboy
I ordered replacement pins for my side marker lights and decided I should probably change out my dry & cracked gasket that fits on the base and seals the lens and fender. So, I try to fit it and this is how it fits-

Click to view attachment

So, I called the vendor to explain this issue. He said they've never had an issue like this before so he can't understand why its a problem with my gasket. No problem... I asked if I could send a photo to show the fit and sent one similar to that. The person I spoke to then stated it looked like I installed it upside down. I personally think its obvious the sharp lip that fits into the fender hole is seen in that photo as well as the amount of extra gasket. And, I don't know how a round item can get larger if you flip it over, but, OK... here's the smooth lens side to show its installed correctly-

Click to view attachment

So, after an annoying back and forth of emails, the vendor wants me to send my signal base and seal to them so they can fit it for me. He's continuing to assume I fit it incorrectly. Its a round seal. I can install it both directions and its still got about a 1/2 gap. There isn't any "fitting" to be done. Here is a side view of me holding it and you can see the gap on the right side. You can also see the sharp ridge that is supposed to be on the rear/frame side-

Click to view attachment

Am I incorrect about this seal looking/fitting too large? I even made sure I wasn't stretching the gasket to make it look larger. That's how much gap there is on a loose fit.
Or, is it supposed to be a very loose and floppy fit?
bdstone914
@jetboy

' post='3033646' date='Oct 1 2022, 11:00 AM']
I ordered replacement pins for my side marker lights and decided I should probably change out my dry & cracked gasket that fits on the base and seals the lens and fender. So, I try to fit it and this is how it fits-

Click to view attachment

So, I called the vendor to explain this issue. He said they've never had an issue like this before so he can't understand why its a problem with my gasket. No problem... I asked if I could send a photo to show the fit and sent one similar to that. The person I spoke to then stated it looked like I installed it upside down. I personally think its obvious the sharp lip that fits into the fender hole is seen in that photo as well as the amount of extra gasket. And, I don't know how a round item can get larger if you flip it over, but, OK... here's the smooth lens side to show its installed correctly-

Click to view attachment

So, after an annoying back and forth of emails, the vendor wants me to send my signal base and seal to them so they can fit it for me. He's continuing to assume I fit it incorrectly. Its a round seal. I can install it both directions and its still got about a 1/2 gap. There isn't any "fitting" to be done. Here is a side view of me holding it and you can see the gap on the right side. You can also see the sharp ridge that is supposed to be on the rear/frame side-

Click to view attachment

Am I incorrect about this seal looking/fitting too large? I even made sure I wasn't stretching the gasket to make it look larger. That's how much gap there is on a loose fit.
Or, is it supposed to be a very loose and floppy fit?
[/quote]

@914sixer had the same problem with one from 914 Rubber. You could cut out a short section and slpice it back together with super glue.
Superhawk996
This whole fit issue is getting silly. I have full faith and confidence @914sixer knows how to fit a side marker seal. Now we have a second data point.

Not sure why 914Rubber isn’t stepping up. Usually they are pretty good about addressing issues. There is no reason OP should have to rework the seal by cutting and gluing. Hopefully 914Rubber isn’t continuing to sell seals that don’t fit.

@mikey914

@jetboy . Here is the thread from 914sixer’s fit problem
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry3031846
jetboy
Just to be clear, I never stated the vendor was 914Rubber. I have no idea if the product I received originally came from that source, I only know I didn't order from 914Rubber, I did not send these exact photo's to an employee of 914Rubber, and 914Rubber was not responsible for asking me to send them my car part (turn signal base) as well as the gasket so they can fit it... because obviously I'm an idiot that can't make an oversized seal fit.

I was just curious, if it looks like it fits. I feel like its obvious that its too large and defective. I ordered a replacement from PP and will return the other. I don't even want a refund because the attitude about a $9 part, that from my photo's shows it isn't correct, and the inability to just simply replace it.

Also, while not directly naming the vendor, I will have to add that my email contact about this part was not with a "normal" customer service rep. This person is much higher up WTF.gif .
bbrock
QUOTE(jetboy @ Oct 1 2022, 04:11 PM) *

I was just curious, if it looks like it fits. I feel like its obvious that its too large and defective.

No it does not look like it fits. And yes, it looks pretty obvious it is too large from your pics.
914Sixer
What I ran into last week with 914 Rubber, sent them back, new ones on the way.
Mikey914
@jetboy Just contact the office I'm happy to send you one out. I'm just not in the office right now. Pulling some extra shifts at he day job.
jetboy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 2 2022, 10:27 PM) *

@jetboy Just contact the office I'm happy to send you one out. I'm just not in the office right now. Pulling some extra shifts at he day job.

I appreciate that, but, I've already got a replacement on the way.

On a side note of customer service, its refreshing to see a company stand up for a product they didn't even sell me when the actual company (who I sent all of these photo's to) only assumed I installed it wrong and felt like they needed to "fit" it for me. Its a $9 part... send me a replacement and I'll send back my defective one. I don't care if you've never seen this problem before. It's obvious this specific one does not fit. Again, I will send it back to the original vendor and they can fit it on as many side marker bases they'd like. Just not on mine. I'm not sending my car parts to a company that isn't standing behind the product they sold.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the side marker seal fits a certain way only and if wrongly installed will not fit. I have seen way too many cars with the seals backwards. They also need to be snugged up a bit on the baseClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
914e
The first time I tried to install them, I didn't think they fit. I ran out of time and put them away. The next time I must have flipped the seal because they went on perfectly. I might found one of the old ones and noticed I was putting them on wrong. They are strange seals.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
very good observation, yes they are strange. Have seen so many mis installed at too many concours events. People even try to put them on the lenses themselves!!!!

QUOTE(914e @ Oct 3 2022, 08:28 AM) *

The first time I tried to install them, I didn't think they fit. I ran out of time and put them away. The next time I must have flipped the seal because they went on perfectly. I might found one of the old ones and noticed I was putting them on wrong. They are strange seals.

JamesM
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 3 2022, 07:00 AM) *

the side marker seal fits a certain way only and if wrongly installed will not fit. I have seen way too many cars with the seals backwards. They also need to be snugged up a bit on the base

agree.gif That

I was going to say it looks like you have the seal upside down and in the wrong groove.
jetboy
QUOTE(JamesM @ Oct 3 2022, 09:25 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 3 2022, 07:00 AM) *

the side marker seal fits a certain way only and if wrongly installed will not fit. I have seen way too many cars with the seals backwards. They also need to be snugged up a bit on the base

agree.gif That

I was going to say it looks like you have the seal upside down and in the wrong groove.

Here is a photo of it installed both directions.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I was trying not to show those since it reveals where it was purchased. And there is no "groove". The inside groove is completely like.. \_/ . I'll try to get a photo of that too when I get back home. The only way I can fit this one is if its fitted VERY loose. Like having a size 9 foot and wearing a size 11 shoe. It'll work, but, it doesn't fit.
Mikey914
I looked into ours yesterday. It appears that we cut the seal a little too long before bonding on ours. Last production run was only a few weeks ago and we typically do these in smaller batches as needed, so we will be contacting anyone that that has purchased in the last few weeks to make sure that they have correct fitting
ones.

Unfortunately an easy mistake to make, but we can rectify it pretty quickly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.