Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My car developed a stutter.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mgphoto
This is 400 K miles that I know of.

Click to view attachment

porschetub
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Oct 2 2022, 10:27 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Wow thats amazing,must have been looked after ?.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Oct 1 2022, 06:27 PM) *

Click to view attachment

bs.gif

What you will soon have is a rare, original low miles survivor with “only 3 miles shown on the odometer”. Get it listed on BAT pronto!
drunk.gif

happy11.gif

That is awesome - my 1st 914 was purchased in 87’ with just under 100k and I put another 100k+ on mine so I saw the Odo roll twice. 400k is truly impressive. aktion035.gif

I wish we had more folks like you bragging about high mileage. Too many folks are trying to convince themselves that they are still sub 100k miles even though it’s likely turned over at least once in 50 years before they got it.
ClayPerrine
Betty's 914 was at 435,000 before the idiot in the Kia.

Keep driving.. That's what it was built for. driving.gif driving-girl.gif
930cabman
The proof is in the .... As an entry level sporting car, they have done well. How many other 50 y/o machines have the staying power pray.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 2 2022, 08:05 AM) *

Betty's 914 was at 435,000 before the idiot in the Kia.

Keep driving.. That's what it was built for. driving.gif driving-girl.gif

Right on smilie_pokal.gif

Congrats on those miles and here’s to beerchug.gif seeing it back on the road after repairs are complete.
bbrock
Very impressive. What kind of engine work has been done in those miles? Just curious.
mgphoto
icon_bump.gif
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 2 2022, 08:47 AM) *

Very impressive. What kind of engine work has been done in those miles? Just curious.

I did an autopsy on the engine around 325 K, cam worn out, lifters scored, I posted a photo of the heads and Len pointed out that a valve guide was replaced and the heads were in bad shape. 1972 1.7 so I could just make improvements from here.

Click to view attachment

So I did, AMC heads done up as 2.0L 3 stud, Nickie cylinders, J&E forged pistons, 9550 cam, I used Jakes pushrod procedure, cutting them using an arrow saw. Set the compression ratio at 8.4:1 and I updated to a 1974 version of D-Jet. In the last year I’ve been tuning the 123bluetooth dizzy to run regular gas, with success.
95mm pistons, 71mm stroke.

The body was a very different story, seen in this post:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=211943&hl=

I asked that in 2012, I listened to one individual whose advice was spot on.
What I did was spend about 3 years in body shop classes.

My first teacher, Mr. G had just restored a 21 window bus, he taught me how to section, how to remove with the least amount of damage and how to restore.

Click to view attachment

My second teacher Mr. Solise took a piece of sheet metal, bent it over his knee and created the lower fender section of a 1950’s chevy pickup, I was hooked, I learned how to use an English wheel, a plastic mallet and a shot bag.

But what I did years ago finally mattered. On a whim I took welding classes at El Camino College, I became proficient in welding 2 inch steel using submerged gas, and aluminum cans together using tig. I took 2 years to do that, I became a member of Arne’s army, a great welding teacher Arne Arneson (that was 30 years ago, I may have spelled the name wrong.)
One thing he taught me was, when you feel comfortable, take yourself out of that zone and challenge yourself. That pushed me to do the out of position welding from under the car. I’ve watched hundreds of welds gel and solidify 6 inches from my face (oh my beard is halfway to my navel and my hair is halfway down my back) I’ve been lucky, so far.

Click to view attachment
I call this nose job on a laughing robot.

Welding, sanding filler and painting are quite cathartic for me
Before

Click to view attachment

After

Click to view attachment

And here I thought someone would say, hey in German that reads no no 914.
Superhawk996
@mgphoto

Love it pray.gif
bbrock
Very impressive. The original engine lasted 325K? Also impressive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.