Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: vent cables
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hndyhrr
Installed ventilation controls. Hooked up top black knob cable to drive side box in front trunk. !@#$%^&*()_ won't slide all the way to the passenger side. I have adjusted and adjusted and it still won't go. Funny thing without clamp that holds cable in place it slides ok. WTF am I doing wrong??????

beer.gif

wacko.gif
Superhawk996
Duplicate
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 2 2022, 01:49 PM) *

QUOTE(hndyhrr @ Oct 1 2022, 09:59 PM) *

WTF am I doing wrong??????

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

No telling since we don’t don’t know what you’re doing or what you’ve done.

Factory manual is your friend for cable routing and adjustment.

Click to view attachment

Since you say it slides OK until you install clip - do you have the right clips and are you installing those properly?
hndyhrr
I have only hooked up one cable thus far. The one controlled by top black knob. It is routed correctly and clip is installed correct. Clip only goes on one way and cable is seated in groove. When I move knob to the open position, knob only goes almost to the first fan setting and then stops. When I take that clip off the knob will move all the way to the right side.
With clip on and knob at first fan setting the flaps inside ( not sure of name) flapper box (not under car but in front trunk) are in the correct position (closed/open). When I connected cables to the controls I used a pic of where the casing should be clamped.
I am truly stumped.

Thank you for you time. It is appreciated.

Renee
Superhawk996
QUOTE(hndyhrr @ Oct 2 2022, 02:40 PM) *

I have only hooked up one cable thus far. The one controlled by top black knob. It is routed correctly and clip is installed correct. Clip only goes on one way and cable is seated in groove. When I move knob to the open position, knob only goes almost to the first fan setting and then stops. When I take that clip off the knob will move all the way to the right side.
With clip on and knob at first fan setting the flaps inside ( not sure of name) flapper box (not under car but in front trunk) are in the correct position (closed/open). When I connected cables to the controls I used a pic of where the casing should be clamped.
I am truly stumped.

Thank you for you time. It is appreciated.

Renee

I don’t have my car in front of me but I seem to recall cables weren’t all the same length.

Likewise - I labeled the flapper vent assemblies for which side of the car they came from. Is it possible that you have parts mixed up?

Have you operated the flapper boxes independently and verified that
They all move freely without cables attached.
Superhawk996
Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
Click to view attachment
hndyhrr
yes cables are not the same length. here is a couple of pics.

I am think that perhaps cable coming thru dash groument are not the the right place.
hndyhrr
QUOTE(hndyhrr @ Oct 2 2022, 12:00 PM) *

yes cables are not the same length. here is a couple of pics.

I am think that perhaps cable coming thru dash groument are not the the right place.

jim_hoyland
Been there, done that; fun smile.gif
Here is what I learned to make sure the connections are right.
1. The above diagrams are great
2. Get a helper to sit in the drivers seat and work the controls
3. Disconnect the hoses going to the defrost vent and footwell
4. Position yourself so you can put your fingers onto the guide inside the valve
5. As helper moves a control, verify the air is going to be guided to the correct output;
Do both sides to verify they are alike.
6. Good luck.
Superhawk996
I don’t think you have cables in right places per diagrams

The circled (yellow) cable is too long to be in this position. Don’t have parts in front of me but that isn’t correct. I think that longest cable goes to control in cabin - not to be used as one of the cross car cables. Also I can’t tell from photo but the cable in yellow is supposed to go cross car and to the rear of the passenger side. I can’t tell if that is what you have it doing

Also In picture it looks like you have three cables going through the grommet? (Red)
Click to view attachment
hndyhrr
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 2 2022, 01:25 PM) *

I don’t think you have cables in right places per diagrams

The circled (yellow) cable is too long to be in this position. Don’t have parts in front of me but that isn’t correct. I think that longest cable goes to control in cabin - not to be used as one of the cross car cables. Also I can’t tell from photo but the cable in yellow is supposed to go cross car and to the rear of the passenger side. I can’t tell if that is what you have it doing

Also In picture it looks like you have three cables going through the grommet? (Red)
Click to view attachment

Cable in yellow does go across car and the rear of pass side.
Yes there are three cables coming thru the grommet. Bottom cable (yellow circle) comes thru from top black knob in cabin. The crise cross cables were never touched .
Superhawk996
Since I don’t have parts or my car available I’m probably not able to help you work through which length cable goes where.

What I can say is don’t assume that just because the crossover cables weren’t touched by you - don’t assume they weren’t previously misrouted or placed into the wrong positions.

Take a look at this photo - different than how yours is. Mine was like this photo.
Click to view attachment

Read this thread which along with the factory manual should be more help than I can provide without my parts in front of me.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...blower&st=0

Make sure the 3rd cable that runs to the fresh air box flapper valves is adjusted properly and not limiting your travel of lever.
hndyhrr
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 2 2022, 04:59 PM) *

Since I don’t have parts or my car available I’m probably not able to help you work through which length cable goes where.

What I can say is don’t assume that just because the crossover cables weren’t touched by you - don’t assume they weren’t previously misrouted or placed into the wrong positions.

Take a look at this photo - different than how yours is. Mine was like this photo.
Click to view attachment

Read this thread which along with the factory manual should be more help than I can provide without my parts in front of me.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...blower&st=0

Make sure the 3rd cable that runs to the fresh air box flapper valves is adjusted properly and not limiting your travel of lever.

Thank you very much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.