Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MOT: Subie engine out!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ArtechnikA
Mostly Off-Topic...

got the dead-head-gasket EJ25 out of the Outback. hafta swap a couple of parts (AT drive plate, plug wires...) over to the new(er) engine and i can plug it back in and go.

after replacing the rightside inner CV's split boot and a couple of other "items."

as soon as the Subaru is back in daily-driver service, i can put the 2,7S and 915 into the 911 so it can take us to the ECR and the FFC - then it comes all apart again for its bit winter refit (brake upgrade, suspension upgrade, front oil cooler, interior upgrade....)

donno what to do with the old EJ25. since the head gasket issue is endemic, i should probably just rebuild the heads, pickle it, and have to ready to go when the replacement engine suffers the same fate...

but i am really looking forward to having an AWD/ABS car with a good heater for those winter commutes...
Kostamojen
What happened with the motor? The head gasket issue is a result of the old design headgaskets. They were redesigned a couple years ago FYI using a 3 layer metal type of gasket that doesnt have the failure issues like it used to, make sure your new motor has the new gaskets!
MecGen
Hey Cool

Sounds like a plan.....and a damb good one.
Kostamojen (welcome to the board) is correct with the updated head set, but they still come appart with them but not as often.

I have a Justy I use at the shop for a power pusher driving.gif Fing thing climbs over almost anything in snow. pray.gif

Later
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Kostamojen @ Aug 7 2005, 05:36 PM)
What happened with the motor? The head gasket issue is a result of the old design headgaskets. They were redesigned a couple years ago FYI using a 3 layer metal type of gasket that doesnt have the failure issues like it used to, make sure your new motor has the new gaskets!

it's a '97, and evidently the PO had the head gaskets done once already (probably under warranty) before we got the car in 2001. it failed again last year at 145,000. coolant in the exhaust, little bit of oil in the water. idle perfectly all day, overheat in 5 minutes on the road.

bought a newer engine that has "supposedly" had the head gaskets and timing belt done. the price was right and i am not going to tear it down just to check the work that was represented -- it'll either be good or it won't. since that engine was done within the last couple of years we'll cross our fingers that the new parts are in it.

it was represented as having 60,000 mi (i know -- all junkyard motors have 60,000 mi...) so if it goes another 80k like the last one, we'll have got our money's worth.

the car is in great shape and it may make sense to look to trade it for something with more towing capacity to support the track events. with 3 Porsches 35 years and older, you never go *very* long before needing a trailer for some reason...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.