Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EZ30R Subaru questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ValcoOscar
I have questions for our 914world Subaru Gurus.

I acquired this EZ30R conversion last year. Kent’s (76-914) @76-914 subaru conversion has always impressed me, so it’s his fault.

Anyhow, 914 ran well but had an intermittent short that ate up batteries. I decided to paint the exterior of the car before tackling short. Once, painted, Noel and Bruce helped me one Sat with 5 lug conversion.
My goal was to get the short figured out and move the harness and battery bank to the engine bay.

Short of time, and my lack of Subaru knowledge I spoke with Outfront motorsports
https://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/ into helping me get things right. ( And only 5 min from home)
One week later I’m absolutely stunned on what they accomplished. Lots of upgrades to fuel and cooling systems, a new ECU wire harness relocated to engine bay. There is a detailed list of things I’m forgetting that I will post later. In a nut shell, Dyno shows 272 HP with 223HP to wheels. I got a test drive last night and I was totally floored. Super smooth and responsive. I can’t wait to pick it up this afternoon.

Is this a typical HP range for this engine?

Rev limited to 7500 rpm? Is this ok?

Can’t wait to address trunk paint next.

Your thoughts..photos coming.

BTW…The new wire harness is now 75% smaller and tight…super professional
Bonus, my rear trunk is free on any modifications or loose wiring.

Your thoughts please

Oscar

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=853
967]

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Wow. I like it!
ValcoOscar
During the test drive yesterday my fingers were crossed my recent 5 lug conversion wouldn't fall apart.

What a way to shake this beast down.

The guys at Outfront have been a joy to work with.

I've now nicknamed this beast "Garfield"

beerchug.gif

O

burton73
My thoughts Oscar, this car is totally bitchen and yeah you have some winners in you stable my friend

Bob B Burton
Mayne
Looks like an awesome car! Would love to see the detailed list of what’s been done. I’m in the middle on an EZ30R conversion on my car and did talk to Outfront about ECU options, so I would love to know what’s in your car. I think these late-gen motors are rated at 240hp, so your 272 sounds great. The redline is higher than the stock motor I think (maybe 6800 stock), so again 7500 seems really good. It was one thing that I wished was higher when I was making my decision, so I’m glad to hear Outfront seems comfortable with that redline increase.

I would also be interested in knowing whether your car has drive-by-wire throttle and whether the variable cam timing is still in place (the feature is run through solenoids on each bank). Must be a fun car!
Krieger
Drive it like you stole it!
worn
You are just teasing us. 914s respond very well to that kind of power. w00t.gif
76-914
Super nice Oscar. Watch out; you may find yourself driving rather than towing to events. biggrin.gif I've seen similar numbers on a D model and attributed that to better engine breathing. These engines were originally choked down with 12ft of exhaust. I'm curious which models will produce the most HP when installed in a 914. Since yours was just tuned by "THE Suby Voice of SoCal" I'm going to bet yours is faster than one built by a plumber. lol-2.gif Question; are you experiencing any Rev Hang with the DBW system? I wanted to join your drive this weekend but I'm out of state currently. sad.gif
ndfrigi
Next is to add AC!
abes914
Wow wow wow!
falcor75
Nice one Oscar, is there any other place for the battery available? If I built another one today I would throw the T4 out and go Subaru six for sure. My only reason for keeping the T4 in the Martini build was to be able to participate in the local P club autocross events and those have grown into a boring mass of only new cars now.
ValcoOscar
Best $$$ I’ve spent in a long while.

John and Brian from Outfront motorsports went over and beyond.

I’ll provide a thorough update soon, going to be a busy weekend.

Oscar

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
BEFORE PHOTOS

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
nditiz1
Even though I have a 6 in mine now, I'm somewhat envious of the subie eng. Oscar how come the PC925 didn't make it in the red optima spot? When people catch their eye on my PC680, they can't believe that tiny bat is up to the task, but it has been flawless.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Oct 7 2022, 01:37 PM) *

Even though I have a 6 in mine now, I'm somewhat envious of the subie eng. Oscar how come the PC925 didn't make it in the red optima spot? When people catch their eye on my PC680, they can't believe that tiny bat is up to the task, but it has been flawless.

Good eye biggrin.gif

That PC925 is DEAD, will relocate a new one to the engine bay soon.

Oscar

rmarx
Did they turn the intake manifold 180 degrees?
cali914
Love the orange
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(rmarx @ Oct 7 2022, 04:52 PM) *

The Intake was turned 180 deg before I took it.

That way no cutting was required to trunk

Good observation

O
914GTSTI
It looks great and it is about the same why I want to go. I will stay with the 4 x 130 wheels but I will see. I will go with the Subaru MT5. How do you like the power ? Does it have the a custom motor cradle or is it a a Coldwater ?
Thanks.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Oct 7 2022, 06:32 PM) *

It looks great and it is about the same why I want to go. I will stay with the 4 x 130 wheels but I will see. I will go with the Subaru MT5. How do you like the power ? Does it have the a custom motor cradle or is it a a Coldwater ?
Thanks.

I love the power but probably won't use it much.

The exhuast note is awesome

Here's a photo of cradle...not detailed yet

O

Click to view attachment
partwerks
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Oct 7 2022, 11:37 AM) *

Oscar

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Which one is Brian that I've been talking with? Nice to put a face to it.

DBW, or is it converted to cable drive?
partwerks
Any pictures of the shifter?

Not sure if it was this one, but thought a bracket was made to mount the shifter on, and it was still able to be used with the stock console??
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(partwerks @ Oct 7 2022, 07:06 PM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Oct 7 2022, 11:37 AM) *

Oscar

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Which one is Brian that I've been talking with? Nice to put a face to it.

DBW, or is it converted to cable drive?

Brian is the young guy, John (owner) is the other guy.

Brian is the one who did most of the work on my car.

Mine is a cable Shifter, will take photos tomorrow.
Shifts smooth.

O
rmarx
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Oct 7 2022, 06:27 PM) *

Good observation

O

I should have thought of that before I cut my car, GRRR.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(rmarx @ Oct 8 2022, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Oct 7 2022, 06:27 PM) *

Good observation

O

I should have thought of that before I cut my car, GRRR.

@rmarx

Not too late...you can patch metal and get your trunk back

O
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.