Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should the RRC-WCR-NEG-Okteenerfest run the same dates?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Big Len
I'm not sold on this, but the thought of a simulcast between all the events may be interesting as what happened last year. I sent out PMs to each of the organizers and have received somewhat favorable replies, but I'd want their opinions again in case they've changed and of course all who took part.
I'm not the one to figure the tech to go into this, but I'd guess you might have 15 minutes of video from each event at a prescribed time with an MC having a scripted direction of where to go with each event.

Pros:
This could be a national event (yet keeping event names) with widespread 914 exposure.

It could be sponsored by the PCA, but also perhaps others such as Hagerty Insurance, Advance Auto, Vredestein Tires, etc, in addition to our other great sponsors.

We may be able to link this somehow with a charity, Tunnel to Towers, Wounded Warriors, a children's hospital perhaps.

We may persuade Panorama Magazine to do a full spread of this cooperation and really boost the exposure for 914 cars and their owners?

Getting a live broadcast, even for a short time from each event would be fun and interesting.

Cons

The logistics and technicalities would require some real effort and time.

Would this diminish the individual personalities of these individual events?

The simulcast may become boring . What's the real point?

The dates of each event would have to be the same, so if someone wanted to attend 2 events, they couldn't.

I don't mean to leave out Texas Hill Country or any other less exposed get togethers. Also, maybe the boys in Florida can revive the Citrus Run.

I know I'm missing more pros and cons, so what do ya think? Is this something you may want to explore for a one time event? If it works well, should it continue? Or should the idea die?
brant
tough to coordinate.
my opinion is that quite a few people attend multiple events and wouldn't be able....

additionally... at least for RRC
we have never wanted PCA or pano involved in this event.
a lot of hassle and changes the flavor also.

for myself personally... after 25 + years of PCA
they burned that bridge with me... I was glad to drop my membership

brant
KELTY360
One of the attractive qualities of the 914 community is the organic nature of how events and gatherings occur. To me, the more formalized the community becomes the less attractive it is personally. But, I’m old and stuck in the past.
Chris914n6
There are a couple of events centered around 9-14 day but, at least on the west coast, we have 3 events spread out through the year which means most of us can schedule in at least one. Plus, since they are regional, there is one that is relatively close.
So I'm opposite. I think we should have more regional annual events, specially you east coasters. Dates are always going to be subject to local conditions.

I think attendance is high enough, since many of us retired recently..., to justify 5 regional summer events.

I don't think I'm alone in feeling, if it's more than a days drive, it's really tough to justify the time off and added hotel expenses.

Last thought... 914 events are not Porsche events, different demographic.
ClayPerrine
Having them all on the same weekend means people like Betty and I can't attend multiple events in one year. We had to give up Okteenerfest to be able to go to Red Rocks this year.

My opinion is we should coordinate the events so they DON'T happen on the same weekend.

Just my $.02.

Clay
Olympic 914
agree.gif

I also like to attend different events.

That way you get to see friends a couple times a year.
TheCabinetmaker
Agree with Brandt. PCA treated us like stepchilds for 30 years. what the hell do we need them for now?
VaccaRabite
Personally, I'd love for the NEG not to be the same weekend as our Boy Scout camp, and during a month with cooler temperatures in general.

And we used to have a party on or around the 9/14 date in the Mid Atlantic that sort of petered out.

But also, that 9/14ish weekend is the same weekend as Flanders AACG, and that is a very fun weekend that I can see myself attending regularly.

That and EVERYTHING seems to happen in September. Back to school. Scouts. Cubs. Camping. Car stuff. Shit gets crazy.

I guess I'm torn on the issue.

Zach

Mikey914
I'd say no in that each has it's own flavor and you can attend them all if you want.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Oct 7 2022, 08:39 AM) *

Agree with Brandt. PCA treated us like stepchilds for 30 years. what the hell do we need them for now?

Insurance and money. PCA has the ability to get insurance coverage for our events, and they will give us money to put on the events.

Betty and I did MUSR for years. Yes, the paperwork is a hassle, but the PCA insurance and money helps keep the entry fees for the event down.

No matter what we may want to think, 914World is a online entity. It can go away with the flip of a switch. So it can't provide insurance. And event insurance is very expensive, especially for a car event.

On the other hand, PCA is a huge corporation with the financial clout to get good insurance. And they have high powered lawyers that come with that insurance.

If you run one of these events without insurance, then the event organizers are legally liable if someone does something stupid and (god forbid) hits a mini-van while driving on some twisties somewhere. Do you want to get sued and lose everything you own because you were the event organizer?

I have never had to use my homeowner's insurance (knock on wood). But I still pay for a really good policy. I never want to use my car insurance again, but I still pay for really good insurance. I keep my PCA membership for the same reason.

Just my $.02.

Clay
Craigers17
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 7 2022, 08:51 AM) *

Personally, I'd love for the NEG not to be the same weekend as our Boy Scout camp, and during a month with cooler temperatures in general.

And we used to have a party on or around the 9/14 date in the Mid Atlantic that sort of petered out.

But also, that 9/14ish weekend is the same weekend as Flanders AACG, and that is a very fun weekend that I can see myself attending regularly.

That and EVERYTHING seems to happen in September. Back to school. Scouts. Cubs. Camping. Car stuff. Shit gets crazy.

Zach

I agree....seems like everything is scheduled in the fall.....I think early spring needs some love.....how about having some events on 4/19? ....the weather's still relatively cool, those in the North are starting to get their cars out, and there's always the opportunity to extend the celebration early into the morning of 4/20!
PanelBilly
I like to keep the event independent. That way I can attend more that one. As for bringing in the PCA, if you can get a local region to support it, it’s a good idea. Then you get the help of the folks who have done all the paperwork before and the process move smoothly. I thank the guys who have stepped up in the past to organize our weekends and the risk they took if something went wrong and the lawyers came after them.

brant
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Oct 7 2022, 10:06 AM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 7 2022, 08:51 AM) *

Zach

I agree....seems like everything is scheduled in the fall.....I think early spring needs some love.....how about having some events on 4/19? ....the weather's still relatively cool, those in the North are starting to get their cars out, and there's always the opportunity to extend the celebration early into the morning of 4/20!

RT 66 is often in april or early may... (spring)
I like going as it gives me time to fix the car before going to the RRC

brant
914forme
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 6 2022, 04:40 PM) *

Having them all on the same weekend means people like Betty and I can't attend multiple events in one year. We had to give up Okteenerfest to be able to go to Red Rocks this year.

My opinion is we should coordinate the events so they DON'T happen on the same weekend.

Just my $.02.

Clay

agree.gif
brant
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 7 2022, 10:02 AM) *

QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Oct 7 2022, 08:39 AM) *

Insurance and money. PCA has the ability to get insurance coverage for our events, and they will give us money to put on the events.

Betty and I did MUSR for years. Yes, the paperwork is a hassle, but the PCA insurance and money helps keep the entry fees for the event down.

No matter what we may want to think, 914World is a online entity. It can go away with the flip of a switch. So it can't provide insurance. And event insurance is very expensive, especially for a car event.

On the other hand, PCA is a huge corporation with the financial clout to get good insurance. And they have high powered lawyers that come with that insurance.

If you run one of these events without insurance, then the event organizers are legally liable if someone does something stupid and (god forbid) hits a mini-van while driving on some twisties somewhere. Do you want to get sued and lose everything you own because you were the event organizer?

I have never had to use my homeowner's insurance (knock on wood). But I still pay for a really good policy. I never want to use my car insurance again, but I still pay for really good insurance. I keep my PCA membership for the same reason.

Just my $.02.

Clay

If you attend a RRC event
Each person is choosing to attend. Responsible for their own actions
And thus the reason most often there is no entry fee
It’s a bunch of adults choosing wether or not to be responsible for themselves in a parking lot

Don’t make me break out the liability waivers
It’s going to be mentioned at the next RRC thread for 2023

I’ve been to a thousand PCA events
That insurance policy is a retainer for the insurance company lawyers that protect the corporation and organizer. But those lawyer job is to make certain that the person Mis-behaving pays in full to the mini van driver in your example

It covers no attendees.

I have a 1mill personal liability umbrella policy already
My Insurance lawyers will make certain that I’m not responsible to the mini van already unless I’m the idiot that caused the problem

PCA does not do much at all
SirAndy
QUOTE(Big Len @ Oct 6 2022, 10:28 AM) *
It could be sponsored by the PCA

Anyone here remember when PCNA sent their lawyers after us trying to scare us into handing over this site to them?

barf.gif
brant
Yes I do!
TheCabinetmaker
Yep.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.