Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back Pad Screws
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bob's project
Hello,

I have discovered that the screws along the bottom of my back pad have departed.
There are still spacers held by the vinyl.

Can anyone please let me know what the fasterners should be? I cannot find them in the PET diagrams.

I think this will resolve that rattle I have bean searching for!

Thanks in advance.

Bob
Root_Werks
Oh boy, I just went through this, but can't recall the exact size. I think it was a #10 screw 2inches long. My originals were long gone.
bob's project
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 7 2022, 01:17 PM) *

Oh boy, I just went through this, but can't recall the exact size. I think it was a #10 screw 2inches long. My originals were long gone.

Thank you,

Would you recall if they are a screw (into sheet metal) or a bolt (AKA would go into a nut). An acquaintance in town is going to allow me to look through is collection of screws from a disassembled car.

I've tried to look in behind with my inspection camera and cant get a clear shot.

And to be more specific I only am trying to find out the ones directly behind the seat.
2 on each side.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Robarabian
The former, a long screw... it doesnt go into a threaded hole but into the sheet metal firewall if I remember correctly.

QUOTE(bob's project @ Oct 7 2022, 01:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 7 2022, 01:17 PM) *

Thank you,

Would you recall if they are a screw (into sheet metal) or a bolt (AKA would go into a nut). An acquaintance in town is going to allow me to look through is collection of screws from a disassembled car.

I've tried to look in behind with my inspection camera and cant get a clear shot.

And to be more specific I only am trying to find out the ones directly behind the seat.
2 on each side.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

windforfun
agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

And remember to pull down on the panel to remove it.
bdstone914
QUOTE(bob's project @ Oct 7 2022, 12:37 PM) *

Hello,

I have discovered that the screws along the bottom of my back pad have departed.
There are still spacers held by the vinyl.

Can anyone please let me know what the fasterners should be? I cannot find them in the PET diagrams.

I think this will resolve that rattle I have bean searching for!

Thanks in advance.

Bob

It is a sheet metal screw. Take one of the inserts to a local hardware store and use the largest screw that you can fit thru the hole. Needs to be about 1-1/4" long. Phillips type Pan head screw.
Mikey914
Should be metric M6 I believe
bob's project
Thanks all for the replies. I find it amusing that this detail is not in the PET diagram as there seems to be mixed answers.

I decided to look at the passenger side of my car and it has Pan head sheet metal screws going through the spacers and into the firewall. The firewall seems to have "hat section" sheet metal with a "nut" on the back side.
This earns a vote for a sheet metal screw.

By removing the spacer I can poke my inspection camera through the vinyl and see what is up on the drivers side. Interestingly there are the tips of TWO broken taps. One in each location. This leave me to think a previous owner was trying to clean up some threads.
This owns a vote for an M6 machine screw.

It looks like my project of finding the correct fastener is turning into a significant one. biggrin.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
rn0139481
windforfun
It's a sheet metal screw & a SS button head would be nice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.