Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Final drive shaft oil seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turtleman
I thought this would be simple. I removed the expansion bolt, then the flange and took a hooked pick and attempted to pull out the old oil seal. No luck. I then took a pair of channel lock pliers and grasped the rim of the seal and tried to pull it out. No luck.

Please explain how I can remove this seal without destroying the housing sealing surface.

I am amazed these seals are in this tightly. I felt the channel lock pliers would make this job a breeze. As I am new at this I am attempting to be careful not to destroy stuff until I have learned a little.

I appreciate any assistance and am waiting for some suggestions so I may proceed with this and move on to the main driveshaft oil seal. So if you have any pointers for that one, feel free to 'chime in' there too.

Thanks.

GCW
gfulcher
Hey Dude...

Whenever I've encountered a seal that just won't come out in the conventional manners you've already tried, I pull out the trusty 1 1/2" drywall screws (two of 'em). Thread them, on opposing sides, into the seal - right in the middle between the opening and the bore on the tranny - you don't want to score anything, as you're already concerned of doing. Anyhow, when the two screws have a firm grab on the seal, you can pull them straight out with some vice grips or whatnot and yank the little whores out of there. Has worked every time, although you won't find this technique in the Porsche shop manuals.. They have a "special tool", I'm certain.

Good luck!

Oh.. where in New England are you? I'm just northwest of Boston... and know a number of 914 guys in the area...

-greg-
MartyYeoman
Try using one of these.
Available at your local FLAPS.
ejm
I appreciate any assistance and am waiting for some suggestions so I may proceed with this and move on to the main driveshaft oil seal.

That ones really hard to get out...

Chip...if you want to bring it up here one night I'll give you a hand changing them ....
Red-Beard
Nope. The worst one is the seal in the shift console. That one is metal and it never wants to come out. It take much abuse to get it out. Fortunately, the metal protects the sealing surface.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.