Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to cut a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
14carrot
Anyone know if there are some classic threads here to show the proper way to cut a 914 to harvest donor metal???
bbrock
The factory workshop manual has excellent info on cutting panels for repair. Too many pages to post screenshots.

When I was buying metal to repair my car, I was sent photographs of the donor cars so I could draw the cut lines I needed fro my particular repair and send back. That was nice.
Luke M
Hi John,

Hope all is well up North.. The last time I did this I ended up cutting a few inches beyond the panel that I needed. Once cut out I removed the section by removing the spot welds. PIA I know. The hardest part is being able to cut away the section without damaging it. Mark and cut a little at a time. Guessing this maybe metal for the 6?

Now on my 6 I ended up drilling out the spot welds for the sections I wanted to remove. I will warn you not to do it until its braced and on a chassis jig. I have my 6 on a bench with fixtures. It's pretty solid when its all bolted down but still need to measure before welding it up. I had a hard time with a door post that kept moving ever so slightly. Threw my door gaps way off.

Check the link for body sections: http://p914-6info.net/PDFs/Group%208%20Body.pdf
gms
As @Luke M wrote there will be spot weld removal but if you have sacrificial panels it makes the job easier. for example if you want a fender and can sacrifice the inner wheel house, front crossing panel, HL buckets and cowl you can end up with the whole fender and some of each panel, then you can put it on a bench and drill out spot welds easier. In some areas it will be nearly impossible to remove a panel cleanly and leave a usable panel even if you have a spot weld remover.
VaccaRabite
I have just always cut about an inch larger then the piece I needed for donors.

Zach
Front yard mechanic
Here is one way !Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.