Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB 914 V8 Project car So Cal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
myoceansoul
Looking for a partner in So Cal to develop a proper modern 914 V8 with an LS motor and Boxster S tranny. With the recent appreciation of 914's a well thought and built 914 V8's or 914-6 conversions are bringing significant money on Auction sites.

Of course from reliability and driveability the 901 has been the weak link from the conversion but upgrading to a Boxster tranny with the Renegade Hybrid kit will transform this 914 to pure street bliss https://www.renegadehybrids.com/transaxles.html

The Modern LS motor boxster combination completely transforms the go cart 914. It, more importantly, does not have the complexity of other swaps as the parts to customize the LS are readily available and Renegade has developed the complete kit for the 6 speed boxster tranny.

I also have a high-performance 3-liter SC motor and a 915 transmission that would require rebuilding as another option to build a 914 6 conversion but the total cost would likely be significantly more than a used LS boxster S.

Looking for a modest LS build to be reliable for everyday street driving and an occasional Autox and open track day. Attached is a car currently on Ebay the dark blue wide body that closes on Wednesday for an example of a 914 V8 or 914 6 looking to build.
Justinp71

If you are mechanically inclined enough I would buy Wayne Dempsey's engine rebuild book. Take your 911 motor apart and see if all the hard parts are good. If they are and you just need and R&R its not terribly expensive. You don't need all the expensive case machine work like on mag case motor. You could do this exercise to just to see what parts you have that are good if this motor needs a full rebuild.

I have a carb'd 3.2 914 and another car with a mean LS3 swap. I think the flat six is the way to go for a 914, over 300hp is tough to use unless you are on a race track. Also there is alot of cost to get proper water cooling in the 914. To be fair I have never driven a LS 914 so don't know it could be wild. But my 3.2 car is fast enough to go to jail... biggrin.gif

Also you will be fine with a 901 box, keep the 915 for future upgrade or sell it to help fund the swap.

There will be a fair amount of cost in conversion parts and front oil cooler, so add those up. But a nice street car is worth $60k.
bag5rcg
I may have an option if you are interested.
A 73’ 914 that came with a 4 cylinder originally…the car was run as a race car in the 90’s by an owner out of Tennessee..I received the car and had my engine guy check it out. This builder worked on the NHRA circuit and he SCCA circuit for a number of years and has been a go to builder for 30+ years. He’s worked with a number of the top builders and has built several engines for me personally. We elected to do a V8 build from the ground up and turbo the engine; the current header arrangement has 2 turbos. New headers can be installed for a single turbo configuration. I gave my builder an unlimited budget.

We started with a 350 4 bolt main and had his machine shop work the block over. I handed him the “wish list” of elements for the engine that included a new crank (internally balanced), the entire rotating assembly (with 8:1 rings, new rods (all new bearings of corse) and every nut and bolt for the install. The heads came from my running dual turbo yellow 914. They are tuned for running turbos and they have scorpion roller rockers and lapped valve ports. The engine is normally aspirated with a Demon carb; I forget the CFM but it’s also tuned and already driven with a turbo setup. The headers were bought with T3/T4 registers and integrated spots for blow off valves. That’s a short description of the engine.
Transmission:

The 4 speed manual transmission was bought and rebuilt from the ground up. The rebuilder dropped the case while they were cleaning it and begrudgingly had to replace it with a new case….so, the transmission is a brand new 930 transmission case with all new synco's and wearables replaced. The differential has been flipped and has LSD (limited slip differential) installed. The total cost of JUST the transmission was 10K…(BTW, the engine build with all parts and who rebuilt it was around 15K. The transmission rebuilder included all of the elements needed for the installation of the cable shifter and the shifter itself. The mount from body to transmission is a custom built tube frame to install into this 914 with new transmission mounts by Porsche.
Both the engine and transmission were completely rebuilt independently and then joined by a Renegade Hybrids plate that is meant to join a SB Chevy to the 930 transmission particularly. The clutch pack is new with a titanium plate. The drive shafts are newly rebuilt with new U-joints and covers; they are rated for 1200-1500 HP. The rear control arms have had the bearings replaced and the control arms have had the reenforcement kits installed….the drivetrain stands as a unit…there was no detail left out. The total for JUST the drivetrain is nearing 30K.
The body and frame of this black 914 is customized with wide body fiberglass flares. The longitudinals and all engine bay frameworks have been replaced with substantial reinforcements. They are built from 2x4 5/8ths rectangular tubing. This is the same high strength structural steels used in buildings etc. The suspension on the front is from a 83 930/911SC. All of wheels have been converted to 5 lug and have upgraded 4 piston brembos on all 4 corners. The rear sway arms have had the reinforced upgrade installed and the bearings have been replaced. The half shafts are larger 930 (beefy) shafts and are already joined to the drivetrain.

The car is being built as a street legal car with an estimated 900-1200hp power plant. Parts are being included to complete this build with the sale.

I’ll let you guys take a look then I’ll be offering it up to the rest of the community.
I’ll add pics on the immediate next post (black car)
Lemme know, thanks Brian
bag5rcg
Pics
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.