Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front valence hardware
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gord
I took my front valence off to deal with the A-arm bushings and discovered that it had been mounted with some home-brew hardware that might have come from a plumbing supply store.

Can someone help me identify what parts #20 and #21 (the generic-sounding "washer" and "sealing washer") in the PET diagram are supposed to be?

Click to view attachment

Thanks!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
goes behind the head of the sheetmetal bolt inside the front trunk to keep water from entering the trunk
gord
Any details about what size these washers are supposed to be?
Mine had what looks like washers from a toilet tank together with serrated/toothed washers, but totally different sizes.
NARP74
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 12 2022, 08:05 AM) *

goes behind the head of the sheet metal bolt inside the front trunk to keep water from entering the trunk

In the IT world, we call that a Microsoft answer. Technically correct, but not the answer you are looking for.

Maybe someone with an unmolested car can answer that one. Both of my cars have been taken apart and I find myself in the same boat as you are. Every time I work on something I find out it is not quite up to factory specs. Not a concours fanatic, but I do want the correct hardware if possible.

Good luck and watching for the answer.
QUOTE(gord @ Oct 12 2022, 07:51 AM) *

Any details about what size these washers are supposed to be?
Mine had what looks like washers from a toilet tank together with serrated/toothed washers, but totally different sizes.

Auto Atlanta has exploded factory parts diagram that are so valuable when trying to find just about any thing original equipment. easy to use try them.
Mikey914
Ahhhh... yah, not the problem Poster wants to know for sure what the hardware is.
I'd suspect a tinnerman (or speed clip) and a rubber gasket to avoid hard contact. Hence the "sealing" in the description.

I'd be happy to send you some hardware if we as the brain trust can figure out exactly what is needed.
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 12 2022, 10:02 AM) *

Ahhhh... yah, not the problem Poster wants to know for sure what the hardware is.
I'd suspect a tinnerman (or speed clip) and a rubber gasket to avoid hard contact. Hence the "sealing" in the description.

I'd be happy to send you some hardware if we as the brain trust can figure out exactly what is needed.

Curious! what does your brain trust use as a reference to figure out exactly what is needed?
914Sixer
Will get picture in morning of a NOS set up
mgphoto
QUOTE(914043 @ Oct 12 2022, 12:45 PM) *

Curious! what does your brain trust use as a reference to figure out exactly what is needed?

http://p914-6info.net/PDFs/E_914_KATALOG.pdf
jim_hoyland
There used to be a vendor selling a complete hardware kit for the valance…
NARP74
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Oct 12 2022, 04:23 PM) *

QUOTE(914043 @ Oct 12 2022, 12:45 PM) *

http://p914-6info.net/PDFs/E_914_KATALOG.pdf

The PET is not very descriptive on all hardware, and this is one of those situations. It just says sealing washer and washer. 999 part numbers, is that custom or off the shelf?
Front yard mechanic
If you want a real sealing washer buy some roofing screws from Home Depot and take the washers off them. Should be good for 40 years
gord
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Oct 12 2022, 05:01 PM) *

The PET is not very descriptive on all hardware, and this is one of those situations. It just says sealing washer and washer. 999 part numbers, is that custom or off the shelf?

999 parts are usually off the shelf, but not part of the DIN spec. Since the tapping screws are 4.8mm, we can guess that the inner diameter of the washers are the same as M5 — but what is the outside diameter? Since it’s a 999 part, we can assume it’s different from a regular M5 washer. Someone installed several different sizes on mine, and I’m just trying to figure out what the ‘correct’ size is/are.

Hoping someone can help answer these specific questions:

1) Do both the ‘washer’ and the ‘sealing washer’ have the same OD?

2) Is the ‘sealing washer’ simply a rubber washer?

3) Is the ‘washer’ a plain flat washer?
QUOTE(gord @ Oct 12 2022, 08:04 PM) *

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Oct 12 2022, 05:01 PM) *

999 parts are usually off the shelf, but not part of the DIN spec. Since the tapping screws are 4.8mm, we can guess that the inner diameter of the washers are the same as M5 — but what is the outside diameter? Since it’s a 999 part, we can assume it’s different from a regular M5 washer. Someone installed several different sizes on mine, and I’m just trying to figure out what the ‘correct’ size is/are.

Hoping someone can help answer these specific questions:

1) Do both the ‘washer’ and the ‘sealing washer’ have the same OD?

2) Is the ‘sealing washer’ simply a rubber washer?

3) Is the ‘washer’ a plain flat washer?

headbang.gif
rgalla9146
Voila !
1970 914 6 unrestored
gord
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 13 2022, 05:16 AM) *

Voila !
1970 914 6 unrestored

@rgalla9146 for the win! aktion035.gif
Thank you, this is helpful!

StarBear
Yep; mine (mostly unmolested 1974) is the same.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.