Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 96MM Cylinder and Piston Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanPMan
Just installed a 96MM piston and cylinder set into our 75 914-2.0. Fuel injection has been removed and replaced with a 32/26 DFV. Upon restart, there's a lot of backfiring both through the intake and exhaust. Runs like #$$#@%!!! with no power whatsoever. So far we've reset the carb per Weber initial set-up procedures and performed some initial timing. It idles, but hydrocarbons read at well over 8000 and the CO% was at 5 to 7%. So we're probably real rich. Probably should be rejetted...
Question.... when we installed the piston and cylinder sets, we also performed a valve seat rework (with a Neway by hand). All valves were verified to seat. Do you think the backfiring and no power condition is due to any other cause besides the carb and timing set-up?????
bd1308
check your dwell..my car did the same thing right before my point block wore down to zero and caused my engine to do all sorts of crazy stuff.....
DanPMan
Will do! I didn't have my dwell meter or timing light with me when we were attempting (key word!) to time it the other day...
bd1308
what sucks is that i actually lost my nice digital dwell meter, which was also a multimeter.

sigh....

point gap should be close to .012....
MattR
Did you set timing? You could be off. Loosen the distributor cap, start the car up, and rotate the distributor at idle to see if that changes anything. You should be rotating like 30-40 degrees each direction max.
Al Meredith
My experience tells me that backfireing means lean mixture or exhaust leaks. I always rejet the idle jet (inside the brass screw on the upper side of the carb) with a "55" jet. I think they come jetted for a 1600CC VW
seanery
what about the cam? You've got nice pic pistons, did you upgrade the cam? I think your carb is probably a wee bit tiny for this application, too. I'm sure other more experienced teeners will correct me if I'm wrong. smile.gif
bd1308
backfire from carb=lean
backfire from exhaust=rich

running after being turned off=rich

Jake Raby
Remove that carb

Grab the biggest hammer you can find.....

Beat the carb into a million pieces and throw it in the trash..

(this is to keep another soul from the same BS later)

Install a set of dual carbs, or go back with EFI.

The single Weber with its long runners and piss poor CFM rating will create all sorts of issues- I consider them absolutely untunable and throw them away weekly.

Making the engine larger has further increased the issues- the carb simply can't keep up with the engine.

All your symptoms of backfiring lead to running lean-

Working with that carb is like pissing into the wind, but I think I'd rather piss into the wind as install or work with one!
bd1308
i enjoy my single carb setup......i know another 9fourteener with one too.

it's good.

i'll pay shipping if you send those my way, jake.
lapuwali
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Aug 7 2005, 05:08 PM)
backfire from carb=lean
backfire from exhaust=rich

running after being turned off=rich

running on is usually lean, actually.

backfires can also be caused by incorrect timing.
bd1308
i dont understand....

why would the system run-on without any fuel to run-on with.........
Bleyseng
Takes Jakes,DD,Brads and everyone else and chuck that POS carb.

FI or duals are the way to go. idea.gif
SLITS
Ok budding M.E........hot spots in the cylinder head (preignition) from being to lean. If the engine still continues to turn, it still draws fuel and air 'cause a carb don't have no fuel cutoff.

Are the valves to tight also?
Bleyseng
QUOTE (SLITS @ Aug 7 2005, 08:21 PM)

Are the valves to tight also?

Thats my bet!
bd1308
that was my other therory.

It just worked out both ways in my head.
redshift
popping.. i&o... and..

Yeah, valves.. may even take a sweet spot adjustment, with a lil carb, and big... knockers?

smile.gif

M
rhodyguy
that must be just about like a theory. dry.gif

k
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (DanPMan @ Aug 7 2005, 04:40 PM)
Just installed a 96MM piston and cylinder set into our 75 914-2.0. Fuel injection has been removed and replaced with a 32/26 DFV. Upon restart, there's a lot of backfiring both through the intake and exhaust. Runs like #$$#@%!!! with no power whatsoever. So far we've reset the carb per Weber initial set-up procedures and performed some initial timing. It idles, but hydrocarbons read at well over 8000 and the CO% was at 5 to 7%. So we're probably real rich. Probably should be rejetted...
Question.... when we installed the piston and cylinder sets, we also performed a valve seat rework (with a Neway by hand). All valves were verified to seat. Do you think the backfiring and no power condition is due to any other cause besides the carb and timing set-up?????

You, have plug wires, mixed up. happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.