Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Axles in our out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nivekdodge
Getting ready to put the motor back in. Axles are out. should i put them in first and work around them or leave them out till motor is in?

Kevin
mgphoto
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Oct 12 2022, 02:22 PM) *

Getting ready to put the motor back in. Axles are out. should i put them in first and work around them or leave them out till motor is in?

Kevin

Easier to install engine and then axle, starter makes drivers side a little difficult, make sure you attach stub axle on outer cv first.
Highland
One thing for sure is install the axles before the exhaust. I think I tied the axles up against the springs to keep them out of the way, but other than the exhaust it probably doesn’t matter too much.
914werke
no issue either way unless you are moving the car. If you are you better have at least the stub axels in the wheels or you will destroy your bearings.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914werke @ Oct 12 2022, 09:39 PM) *

no issue either way unless you are moving the car. If you are you better have at least the stub axels in the wheels or you will destroy your bearings.

agree.gif

Stub axles out ? Have to move the car ?
Easy. See pic. Use this or your version of it to tighten the bearing races to each
other to prevent damage. PS, those big fat washers can be found a older
Porsche repair shops. They were used to raise bumper height on '70s 911s
VaccaRabite
I've never removed the axles to remove or install an engine. Just put plastic bags on the CVs to keep grease contained.

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 13 2022, 06:08 AM) *

I've never removed the axles to remove or install an engine. Just put plastic bags on the CVs to keep grease contained.

agree.gif

Just unbolt the CV's on the transmission side and slide the whole thing out the back. No need to remove the stub axles and risk ruining the wheel bearings.
smash.gif
Highland
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 13 2022, 10:17 AM) *

agree.gif

Just unbolt the CV's on the transmission side and slide the whole thing out the back. No need to remove the stub axles and risk ruining the wheel bearings.
smash.gif

Is it possible to reinstall the axle if removed with the above method or does the stub axle have to be removed to reassemble the CV?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Highland @ Oct 13 2022, 02:19 PM) *

agree.gif

smash.gif

Is it possible to reinstall the axle if removed with the above method or does the stub axle have to be removed to reassemble the CV?

You don't remove the axle. So there is no need to do anything with the stub axle.

You are literally pulling the 4 bolt off the CV that attaches to the transmssion, and putting a bag around the CV, and that's it. The axles just kinda hang down and you push them around as needed when removing or installing the engine. You do not take apart the CV, remove the stubs, or any of that. In fact, you don't even touch the outer CVs.

On reinstall, you put in a new seal, use new bolts and new washers.

Zach
TheCabinetmaker
Sounds like his engine and axles are already out. If that's the case, install the wheel end of the axles first!
Highland
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 13 2022, 12:09 PM) *

agree.gif

smash.gif

You don't remove the axle. So there is no need to do anything with the stub axle.

You are literally pulling the 4 bolt off the CV that attaches to the transmssion, and putting a bag around the CV, and that's it. The axles just kinda hang down and you push them around as needed when removing or installing the engine. You do not take apart the CV, remove the stubs, or any of that. In fact, you don't even touch the outer CVs.

Zach

Maybe I misunderstood. Sir Andy said to remove on the wheel side so I thought that meant unbolting the CV at the stub axle. This was more of a general question than specifically for engine install.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Highland @ Oct 13 2022, 03:28 PM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 13 2022, 12:09 PM) *

agree.gif

smash.gif

Zach

Maybe I misunderstood. Sir Andy said to remove on the wheel side so I thought that meant unbolting the CV at the stub axle. This was more of a general question than specifically for engine install.

Same difference. He's leaving the axles attached to the trans and taking out the 4 bolts on the wheel side and bagging the CV there. There still is no taking apart the CV. And you still need a new seal, bolts and washers.

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(Highland @ Oct 13 2022, 12:28 PM) *

Fixed it biggrin.gif

Either way, no need to remove or take apart anything. Zach is right, unbolting the CVs on the transmission is easier.

http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_engdrop1.php

bye1.gif
brant
I agree with Andy
I find it much easier to bolt the outboard cv with the motor out
So would recommend axles first
Then motor

I never remove the outboard side to pull a motor
Only the inboard/trans side for pulling a motor

Removing cv’s only for servicing cv’s
nivekdodge
I got the axles in a box with the car. and 3 cv joints. Someone just wanted the car to move. they tried prying back the brake pads, disconnecting the clutch.... thanks guys, 1 axle in second to follow.

Kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.