Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: San Diego Restoration Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JJsandiego
I am new to the 914 world and looking for advice on shops to help get a 1970 914 back on the road. This was my dad's favorite car, approximately 20 years ago the clutch went out. He pulled the transmission, 1.7 engine and clutch. They were all rebuilt but due to health reason the car remained dissembled in his garage untouched. I fixed the rust in the engine compartment repainted the car and need help putting it back together.
If anyone has a trusted shop or person, in San Diego or near San Diego, that likes a project please let me know. I would love to surprise my dad and get this back on the road.
Also since I am starting from scratch any suggestions for modifications would be helpful
Thanks in advance.
dstudeba
I will be interested in the responses you get. I haven't taken one of my Porsches to a shop in many years so I can't be much help.

I did have my 944 worked on by Black Forest years ago and they did work I was happy with. Now I would take my 944 to Tim Comeau if I had something I couldn't fix. Unfortunately I don't think he works on 914s but he might have a good reference for you.

My doctor who is a past president of the SD PCA uses Black Forest for his 4-5 Porsches.
Highland
Sounds like you already did the “heavy lifting”. Although not trivial, assembling all the parts yourself is not that difficult.

I long time ago I use to go to European Motorsport in Vista. The owner use to race 914’s; so knowledgeable.
mepstein
welcome.png
Lucky9146
I live in the San Diego area but I do all my own work with exception of alignment below. That said, there are many good shops around and one already mentioned European Motorsport was used by a friend of mine and he had varying results with his 914, 911, and 944. I have no experience with them and have never been there.

I have bought parts from Black Forest and been there many times, good people, and one of the best engine people in SD, Mark Kinninger. The friend I mentioned before had work done on his 914-6 there. Another mechanic, Steve Groskemper used to, or maybe still races a 914, I don't keep up with the race folks.

There is Mekellos in Escondido with likely the other best engine mechanic in SD area. Good shop, as I've said I do my own work, but I know these people and been there many times as well. They have done 914 restorations and know 914's.

Vollig on Mirimar Rd is a good Porsche shop and I like the people there but not sure about 914 work. I had a 911 aligned there. Owner is a racer and grew this business from his garage.

Also in Escondido is Renaissance is a small one man shop. Joe. I was to an open house there and it was quite impressive, but I am not sure he is a 914 guy.

As with most anything with the word Porsche, prices can vary greatly. I'd suggest visiting each of the shops and find one that feels right and can give you a good solid estimate of the work you need.

PM me if you like and I can fill you in more.
driving.gif white914.jpg

welcome.png
campbellcj
welcome.png You've come to the right place for help! I've never personally done business with Black Forest but know they've been in business many many years and seem to have a strong rep in the community which says a lot.

Most definitely be wary of time and cost estimates you get from any shop/subcontractor. I've used a lot of the well known shops in the LA region over the past 30 years and a few jobs took WAY longer than they should have. Porsche shops are mainly small family businesses (some are 2-3 ppl tops) and can be afflicted by poor management/scheduling decisions, HR issues, illness, divorce, vendor SNAFUs, and all sorts of stuff that you really don't care about when you just want your damn car done!
campbellcj
Also as @highland noted, if you're up for it, a lot of the re-assembly work is approachable and straightforward without a bunch of special skills and tools (though you of course need the right workspace & tools). This forum has tons and tons of info and I'm sure some local 914 folks in SD could physically lend a hand too when needed.

I did a partial early 911 disassembly/reassembly years ago and found it really fun and rewarding though I totally understand not everyone could or would go down that path.
siverson
All the above advice is good - I do most of my own work but have also used Black Forest and European Motorsports in Vista.

But... send some photos - I am curious how much work is involved. I have a good friend in a similar position as you as he has had a 95% assembled 914 non functioning for over 20 years but literally needs only 2-3 days of work IMO. Maybe its not so bad...

-Steve
ndfrigi
yes pls share pictures of the car so more detailed suggestions can be provided by this group.
eric9144
Agree with all said above, just know some of the shops like Black Forest currently operate with around an 8 *week* lead time for appointments and for the most part it's appointment only. There's a pretty great group of 914 guys in and around San Diego, lots of help to be had welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.