Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are the auto Atlanta fog light grills any good?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
B2524
If not whose do you recommend??

Thanks

pete-stevers
I bought mine from 914 rubber, I don't know how the AA ones stand up
NARP74
Try to figure out who makes them and buy from them. Hard to do sometimes, ask around.
DRPHIL914
SMC website shows Jorg and a suppliier for the horn grills they are like $86, the fog lights ones are $222 listed as Porsche which whow knows who makes them for Porsche . I got mine from 914rubber this last week. Last ones were loosing their chrome finish off the plastic but they are like 4-5 years old. no breakage, and new ones are $75 for a set from 914rubber.
I do wish someone made metal ones like the original ones from 40 years ago, but that would cost a bunch , and i t hink they were cast. maybe someday someone will do
new ones with 3D metal printing.

Phil
jdamiano
I got the 914Rubber ones a couple years ago and the chrome failed. They said they changed the process to fix the issue and sent me new ones at no cost.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 14 2022, 12:46 PM) *

SMC website shows Jorg and a suppliier for the horn grills they are like $86, the fog lights ones are $222 listed as Porsche which whow knows who makes them for Porsche . I got mine from 914rubber this last week. Last ones were loosing their chrome finish off the plastic but they are like 4-5 years old. no breakage, and new ones are $75 for a set from 914rubber.
I do wish someone made metal ones like the original ones from 40 years ago, but that would cost a bunch , and i t hink they were cast. maybe someday someone will do

Phil

Early ones were metal ?
wonkipop
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 14 2022, 07:13 PM) *

Phil

Early ones were metal ?

yeah, you are right @rgalla9146
think they go to plastic in 74? mine are. original plastic. biggrin.gif

i have also seen some on cars here years ago that had dechromed themselves.
they would have been factory grilles back then.
so 914 rubber's problem with delaming chrome not an unusual problem.
hard to get "fake" chrome plating of plastic to work well back in the day even for the germans. i imagine the problem hasn't changed much in chemical terms.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Oct 14 2022, 10:28 PM) *

Phil

Early ones were metal ?

hard to get "fake" chrome plating of plastic to work well back in the day even for the germans. i imagine the problem hasn't changed much in chemical terms.

Actually I'm surprised to hear that they were thought to be metal at one time.
I've never seen anything but plastic.
As an aside....could fog light light grills be had on body color bumpers ?...painted
in body color ?
Mikey914
We make a black plastic, that can also be painted.
These were diferent that the OEM in that the original ones were white plastic. We did them this way so that they didn't need to be painted.
We layer found out that it takes more" Chrome " to cover the black. This is why factory made them white. Also resulted in factory seconds where the material "ran ".

So our second gen ones have been improved, but we did set aside a limited quantity of these black ones.

https://914rubber.com/search/?q=Fog+light+grills
wonkipop
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 15 2022, 11:28 AM) *

We make a black plastic, that can also be painted.
These were diferent that the OEM in that the original ones were white plastic. We did them this way so that they didn't need to be painted.
We layer found out that it takes more" Chrome " to cover the black. This is why factory made them white. Also resulted in factory seconds where the material "ran ".

So our second gen ones have been improved, but we did set aside a limited quantity of these black ones.

https://914rubber.com/search/?q=Fog+light+grills

nice idea making them black plastic.
the few euro spec cars that came here in 74 that were 73 models were black bumper black grille cars. both were top spec 2.0s. the euros did not do chrome i believe on their cars. at least in the later cars.

the only thing you would have to watch with black plastic is UV fading.
esp down here where UV is higher than in northern hemisphere.
probably best to paint over the black plastic. but at least its a black base for the paint to go on.
wonkipop
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 15 2022, 11:12 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Oct 14 2022, 10:28 PM) *

Phil

Early ones were metal ?

Actually I'm surprised to hear that they were thought to be metal at one time.
I've never seen anything but plastic.
As an aside....could fog light light grills be had on body color bumpers ?...painted
in body color ?

yeah i think they were metal originally.
not sure for what years.
some expert here would know.
i've never really looked at them to know.
my old mate had an original six. it probably had metal ones but its been a good while since i have seen that car to tell you.

Mikey914
They were metal at one point. We went to foundry and made some prototypes. The polishing and finish were too labor intensive. Without die casting it didn’t make sense.
There is a thread here somewhere where I posted up pics.
BillJ
Short answer is no
ConeDodger
Mine are 914Rubber.com.

They look great, the price was painless, Mark stands behind them. No brainer. Oh, and my originals were like new so…
CCE
Got mine from 914 rubber, they fit perfect and look nice.
Got the bracket and bolts too.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.