Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What heat exchangers do I have?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhynesrockmtn
Getting back to putting the engine back in my 1970 1.7 after a bunch of work to hopefully cure engine oil and gear oil leaks, new 123distributor, new injectors, valve adjust, etc.

I had accumulated a couple of sets of SS heat exchangers over the years and figured I'd install one of them. The exchangers I pulled off the car were so caked with baked on oil it was hard to tell what shape they were in. After cleaning up the best set of SS ones, I found the captive nuts were very rusty so I went back to look at the ones that came off the car. After much cleaning, I found them in really good shape and just decided to reinstall them.

Side by side, with the SS version I had, would these be original to the car? A very clean 125k mile car with what I'd call as close to rust free as you can get.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Pics of the other end will identify 1.7/1.8 vs 2.0
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 15 2022, 08:59 AM) *

Pics of the other end will identify 1.7/1.8 vs 2.0

They are 1.7 I believe and either original to the car or replaced at some point. The car came from the dealer new with a Bursch exhaust. Pic is during the cleaning process.

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
The small flange and the upward curve of the tubes near the muffler confirm
they are 1.7-1.8
914Sixer
Top picture has stock heat exchanger on top and SS on bottom. 2nd picture appears to be a set of stock heat exchangers because of the bolt flange.
Van B
1.7 and 1.8 both have the curve and smaller flange. But 1.8 and 2.0 use the slightly larger tubing. While 2.0 is the only straight exit.
TheCabinetmaker
You can use either one you want. They both fit the heads the same. You just need the proper hanger bracket and muffler for each style. 75\76 exchangers excluded!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.