Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another 'Classic' CptTripps Welding Story.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
As some of you remember, I had an..er...interesting time with a car I bought at WCC. ( http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=30092 ) ...here's the MWC story.

Let me start with an apology...there are no pics to go with this...you'll understand why in a sec.

So we're all set for the 'Run to Hell and Back' and I'm raring to go. I didn't get to drive the 'fun run' at WCC because...well...I didn't have a car out there. (Riding shotgun with Brando was fun though!) So I'm the third car in line...had a goox mix loaded into the iPod, had bottles of water, 2 Cigars, Money for ice-cream...let's go, let's go...

So off we go...map at my side, driving gloves on, stogy lit and the tunes jammin. This is where the fun starts...

About 20min into the 'run' and my accelerator pedal starts to feel REAL light. Hmm... My mind raced back to the earlier in the weekend when Gary and I re-did the linkage on my carbs. "Well, that must be it...just came loose." So I pulled over and to investigate. So there we are, 20min into it, and I'm pulled over...everyone thought that we were stopping to collect everyone, so 35 cars pile in behind me. I waved them all on, and went back to re-investigate the situation.

So there I am, by myself in the middle of rural Michigan, Saturday afternoon...and I find the problem. Ready...(drumroll)

The throttle 'key' from the passenger side carb SPLIT IN TWO. (This is the part I'm talking about.) Half was on the end of the linkage, the other half was on the carborator. After looking at it and pondering for a few min, I came to the realization that there is NO way to 'rig' the thing so I can limp home. I'm reaching for my phone to cal AAA, and I hear a guy behind me...

Guy: I live right up the street...need any tools?
Me: Naaa...I think I'm past tools and into welding at this point
Guy: My neighbor has a welder...want to go see if he's home?
Me: Really?
Guy: Sure...hop in, and bring your parts.

So we we're off to his neighbor's house to see if A: he was home, and B: Can I borrow his welder? About 5min later, we're at his doorstep, and sue enough...he's home.

Guy: I picked up a stragler, he broke down, and needs to borrow your welder to get back on the road.
Guy's Neighbor: No problem...do you know how to weld?
Me: I know enough to fix this. :: holding part up ::
Guy's Neighbor: Let's get you set up.

This is when Samson calls me.

Samson: You ok man?
Me: Yeah, I gotta run, but I'll call you in a sec.

So the 'Neighbor' (Scott) get's me set up with his Craftsman MIG, and 'Guy' (Gary) helps me get the parts clamped together and ready. 3min later, I'm welding it up, and things are starting to come together. (No pun intended.) After I was sure it was all 'one piece' again, I looked at my welds...

Me: Looks good enough to get me home.
Scott: I've got a grinder over here...you can clean it up if you want.
Me: Sweet.

So the end result was a DECENT weld-job on a part that would be IMPOSSIBLE to find. Gary gives me a ride back to the car, and it took about 30sec to get it fired up. Carbs weren't perfectly synched, but I wouldn't expect that they would be...but it RAN! right about then, I called Samson to see what was going on.

Me: Samson...I'm rollin again, where are you all?
Samson: You didn't get my message...we're doubling back to where you are.
Me: I'll see you in 2min then.

I shook Gary's hand, thanked him profusely, and was ready to roll. about 30sec later, and I start seeing teeners headed towards me. I jetted into a driveway, and jumped back into line. The best part? My cigar was still lit...

Special thanks to Gary and Scott. You guys saved my ass.

So there you have it gang....another 914 meet, and another CptTripps welding story. Guess I oughta just bring one with me next time.

biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
What a great bunch of guys biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
clap.gif Great story! clap.gif
Engman
Great story - gotta love people like that!

M
neo914-6
Dam Mid-west hospitality, you'd think they'd have the decency to take digital pics of you! laugh.gif
Good one! clap.gif
CptTripps
Yeah, I couldn't thank him enough...really saved my butt. The house I broke down in front of had a rebel flag flying, and about 6 'umerican' cars in various stated of (dis)repair in the gravel driveway. I was about to get nervous...and was amazed when my car was still there when we got back!
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Aug 7 2005, 07:22 PM)

So I pulled over and to investigate. So there we are, 20min into it, and I'm pulled over...everyone thought that we were stopping to collect everyone, so 35 cars pile in behind me. I waved them all on, and went back to re-investigate the situation.

Once in Hell a few of us were talking "did anyone stop to see what was wrong with Doug's car"......"Nope, he waved us on"......"shit, anyone know his cell number" slap.gif

redshift
it'sneverthatfuckineasyformeyouluckybastardawwwshootme biggrin.gif

Fun story, what luck!

M
i love porsche
what a great story...its nice to know that there are still people out there who are willing to help a stranger
CptTripps
QUOTE (i love porsche @ Aug 8 2005, 09:31 AM)
what a great story...its nice to know that there are still people out there who are willing to help a stranger

Thats why I told it....

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Joe Bob
Did the guy ask you what year yer Fiat was????
CptTripps
They both worked for Ford (imagine that) so they were car guys. He actually knew that it was a Porsche, and even asked if it was a 6 or a 4.
redshift
... and then he made that face...

dry.gif

smile.gif

M
TJB/914
Doug

You are a legend in the 914 world smilie_pokal.gif

You make the rest of us mere curmugeon's.

Someone should make a tee-shirt in your honor. We could have fun designing this T-shirt. Anyone???

Tom
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
You know: Good things happen to good people!!!!
Doug happens to be the nicest young man it's been my pleasure to meet in a long time. Dave slap.gif
Hawk
Cpt,
You are one amazin dude. Why didnt you grab the mike from me at the banquet and tell that story. Michigan folk sure are friendly, eh? And every other person works for Fords (what they call it) by the way.

My story (not to hijack your thread or anything) is as follows.

I finally broke down (no pun) and washed my /6 for the MWC on Thursday night. On recommendation from BS Chairman, I even washed out my engine compartment.
So Saturday morning, my son and I fire up the /6 at 7:15am. Gary and his wife join us in their /6 for the 20 minute drive to Whitmore Lake. Not 5 minutes down the road, the engine quits. Just quits. Not just anywhere but at the intersection of 2 freeways, stranding us in the triangle between the 2 highways. Gary pulls in behind. Now we are cheek to cheek with gravel haulers on both sides of us whizzing by at the usal Michigan freeway speed of 80mph.

Gary says: Sounds electrical. Got gas? Yes. Let's spray some of this stuff down the carbs. No results. "Well gotta go and register the folks waiting for us. Goodbye. Will check on you later."

Call the wifey. "Come and get us but be sure to get in the right lane cause you need to stop abruptly between 2 highways. Its not too safe out here especially with a kid"

In the meantime our buddies Marc the lesser (in stature not talent), Marc the greater (in girth) and Richard from Ontario grind to sudden stop ahead of us in a Ford duelie after recognizing the vivid blue /6. Marc the greater says: Sound electrical. Now I dont have anything for tools on account of the impending concours but the VERY expensive factory /6 tool kit, but oh well. After screwing with the thing, Marc says: "points are fried". After scraping etc- No results. Meantime wifey goes flying by at warp speed and doesnt even see us! Everyone drives 80mph here and thinks its 55.

Now it really gets interesting. Suddenly an EMS truck with lights flashing and a guy in a pick up pull behind us from the other freeway and run towards us asking- "Where's the injury accident?" They see Marc the greater with his head and half body tucked into the engine compartment replacing the points. The one EMS guy, running at us, starts to throw his big rescue bag on my recently waxed trunk so I start yelling- " heh, dont do that!"

"He's not dead! We arent the injury accident." They look at us like German shepherds who just heard a whistle. "Must be farther down the freeway man".

So we just leave last year's 1st place 914/6 winner by the roadside and hitch a ride to the MWC. And that's why there were only 2 unmodified cars in the competition this year.

How we got it home is another story that my buddy Tom Bliznik who also risked his life later that day for the car may tell you.

Moral- never wash you engine compartment despite what a good friend tells you.
Howard
Doug, you create a party wherever you go. Still telling the story about your winning ticket biggrin.gif
CptTripps
That's me...always the life of the party.

I'm looking forward to WWC-06. I think I may buy a car out there, and have it restored by someone else...just to make sure I have something to drive.
TJB/914
Cpt. & the others (a few posts up).

Yes, there is another end to this story. Since my car didn't make it to the meet (bug in the elec or fuel sys) and another story. I volunteered to help Mr. Zarbo.

We were getting reports that Dick's abandoned 914 was tagged by the MI State Police to impound the car. Big sticker on the windshield, abandoned vehicle will be towed (by big gorilla truck driver).

We left in my modern car & called AAA road service to meet the tow (flat bed) truck before they towed it away. This would be big trouble & expensive getting it out of hock at the pond. You know they pick them up by the front end and carry AV's (abandomed vehicles) on a dolly (big time damage to Dick's new show chrome if this happens). Meanwhile Dick is on the cell phone with AAA and the clerk is telling him nothing available & she will call back. We get to the 914 and it's 50 ft. from the apex where (2) major hwy's intersect. We have about 15-20 ft. of space to pull my car behind Dick's 914-6. Dick's in the passanger seat, about the center of the two roads. I am in the driver side and very close to the highway edge. I look in my mirror and see gravel trucks, trucks, travel trailers & everything else comming around the bend on my side. Sometimes they drift unto the shoulder and I am thinking we are in big trouble. I am thinking maybe I should ask Dick a favor. If he lives will he give me a discount at the hospital?? Dick's a big muckty muck high ranking Doctor at Henry Ford Hospital. I think he's Program Director & Chairman of the Pathology Dept. at H.F. Hospital. My wife would appreciate that. About then Dick gets a committment from AAA. They will have a flat bed there in 90 mins. He must have known I was a little concerned when I put my seat belt back on quit looking at traffic. Did you know that gravel truck going 80mph make your car move 6 plus inches when they go by. Yes they do.

Now for the good stuff.
We leave the keys under the matt with instruction from AAA. They are sending a flat bed truck and we are to meet the driver at Dick's house. We wait for a clear opening and I gun the motor to get up to hwy. speed (Michigan is normally about 80mph or they run you over). We get to Dick's house without problems. I meet his (2) teen age daughters and enjoy their company. Smart kids & you know the world is in good hands with teenagers like them. The truck driver calls & says he's on his way (early). We were surprised. The flat bed shows up & I inspect how the 914 was attached. He is a car guy (young man) who did everything right. Used nylon straps on the wheels and treated the car with respect. We roll the 914 off the flat bed and the driver says, why not try to start it!!!! This is the big one. Dick gets in and hits the key, it fires it up, runs beautifully the 10 ft into the garage. Can you believe it. Probablly dried out the moisture from the car wash early in the day.

Tom
BTW
You know I see & talk to Dick often. I got to know him really well during our outing. Sort of like bonding soldiers in a fox hole. I remember him telling me he has (4) rules taught to his kids.
#1 Nothing is free in life!!
#2 When asking the boss for a raise. You get what you negotiate not what your worth.
#3 I forgot
#4 I forgot.
Maybe I should add #3 & #4. Never wash your 914 motor down before the big event & never use take your 914 to the local P-Shop for repairs.

Thanks for everything Dick. I really enjoyed your company. You are a good friend. Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.