Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to replace Stainless Steel Fuel Lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jesiv
Can I easily replace my plastic fuel lines with stainless steel without removing the engine?

Also whose lines do you recommend?

The resuscitation continues

Cheers
mepstein
I believe you can do it with the engine in. I would call Chris Foley at tangerine racing, ask him and buy his lines. I’ve bought a couple sets from him.
Aerostatwv
I second Marks recommendation. Here's a great video Ian Karr made explaining how to change out the lines. https://youtu.be/IDFsZoI_W3g

You may want to check out all of Ian's videos, they are a great how-to resource.
jesiv
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 20 2022, 04:40 PM) *

I believe you can do it with the engine in. I would call Chris Foley at tangerine racing, ask him and buy his lines. I’ve bought a couple sets from him.

Is that Malaga Red?
mepstein
https://tangerineracing.com/

gord
QUOTE(jesiv @ Oct 20 2022, 05:34 PM) *

Can I easily replace my plastic fuel lines with stainless steel without removing the engine?

I just did this on my 72, and it can absolutely be done with the engine in the car. The engine crossbar is kind of in the way, but the stainless steel pipes flex enough that you can maneuver them in regardless. I used a kit from Tangerine Racing, and found Ian Karr’s video extremely helpful. I did it by myself, and did need to fiddle with the lines in the tunnel quite a bit to get them in properly—it probably took 3-4 goes with each to get it right. You can probably save yourself 30 minutes of fussing if you work with a helper.

The hardest part for me was dealing with the original fuel pump, which in my case was in the factory location and had completely rusted together with the mounting hardware. In the end, I decided to remove it entirely (required cutting the rubber mounts since the bolts had seized) and replace it with an inline pump under the fuel tank with a 75-76 cover/bracket. The upshot for me is that the car now consistently starts immediately with the first turn of the key for the first time since I’ve owned it.

A lot of people say you can do this in a day—and maybe you can—but I kept finding so many other problems to deal with that it took me several days to complete. So be prepared for things to not go completely as you expect!
mepstein
If the engine is out, it takes 10 minutes.
930cabman
has anyone used stainless steel tubing from a roll? being the CSOB I am, just had to ask
jhynesrockmtn
I've done it with both engine in and out. A bit easier out, but it can certainly be done. Chris's service and quality are excellent.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(930cabman @ Oct 21 2022, 09:02 AM) *

has anyone used stainless steel tubing from a roll? being the CSOB I am, just had to ask

I'm assuming you mean nickel copper line and not stainless steel? Chris's line are cut to length and have flares on them for the fuel hose to get clamped on. And they are pretty stiff. The rolled tube tends to be a lot more flexible and may be tough to get through the rubber grommet in the front of the car.

That said, I made a bend out of nickel copper line under the gas tank when I kept having lines kink making the big bend after the fuel filter back tot he tunnel lines. It has worked well for years and won't ever kink.

And I intended to use nickel copper to make the fuel lines for my 2002 before i got rid of that project for a different project.

Zach
TheCabinetmaker
I used two pieces of 5' stainless brake lines with the flares cut off, and had a local hydraulic hose builder bubble the ends for hose clamps.
Mikey914
Lots of ways to save money, you can replace the tube with HDPE also.
The diferece is that we sell the ones cut to length with the proper bends.
We also make and sell the correct rubber isolators that go through the firewall. If you dont have them do make sure you replace them.

These are not a simple grommet.

https://914rubber.com/search/?q=Fuel%20lines
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(930cabman @ Oct 21 2022, 08:02 AM) *

Yes, I did it with stainless steel sticks of tubing before Chris Foley came out with his set.

Here's the writeup on how to do it: http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_fuellines_ss.php.

They are still in the car, and work great. But I would recommend you spend the money on the fuel lines from Tangerine Racing. Since I did mine the hard way, I have installed Chris' lines on our other two 914s, and probably a dozen sets on other 914s. They are well worth the money.

Clay

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.