Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Kerry Hunter" headers, anyone runnign them?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
anyone here running the "Kerry Hunter" headers for the /4?
any thoughts you want to share?

i'd like to run one of chris foley's headers but i just can't fork out that much $$$ right now ...
idea.gif Andy
gregrobbins
I have a set on my '74 2.0L. I noticed a bit better preformance over the stock heat exchangers. The SuperTrapp muffler is loud biggrin.gif , but that works for me. I like them enough that I bought a second set for the green car.
Aaron Cox
harder to install than a eurorace (no stub pipes), and IIRC exits on the wrong side of the car no?
MattR
Stub pipes rock on my euro race headers. I installed them once, and I wont touch them. All my exhaust studs torqued up fine and my gaskets seated properly, and Im DONE.

You may consider euro race headers andy. They're reasonably priced (i picked up a used set for just over 200 bucks with street muffler and supertrapp) and fit well.
grantsfo
Andy,

I run them on my 1.8. They are functional, but I really think going route of the European Header is worth considering/waiting for. Workmanship on the KH is ok. Lack of stub tubes is a drag. Mine needed to be filed perfectly flat were the tubes meet the head to get a seal that wouldnt allow leaks.

Positives are they are lightweight and you get best power for $$$ spent if you ignore quality issues. Power increase was signficant. You have heard my car and I run 15 discs - fairly loud. Not sure I would tolerate if this car was anything more than an autocross toy for me at its current level. You can run as few as 7 discs and still get better performance than the stock system - however its still a bit noisey. I like the sound, but I'm a bit of a kook when it comes to driving load type 4 engines. To me a T4 doesnt sound good unless its blasting.

Type 4 Unleashed
The KH made a big difference on my motor over stock but I made my own muffler set up, instead of the super trapp. And I was going to convert them to stub pipes, untill I pick up a set of european racing headers, which are a little larger than the KH, which is still not big enough.

Here are a couple of pics.
Type 4 Unleashed
This outlet, is 2 1/2, and I had it reduced to 2 1/4, and moved to all the way over to the left, so it comes out the valence cutout.
MattR
I thought i'd share a picture or two of my euro race setup.

user posted image

user posted image
Type 4 Unleashed
Here with the outlet reduced and moved over.
DrifterJay
where online can you get a set of these euro headers?
ChrisFoley
I have a used KHH I can sell for $250. The Supertrapp is welded to the collector and has 18 discs. The entire thing is coated High Temp white, with a little surface rust in places.
I also have a used European Racing Header available (not the same as MattR's picture!). I had to make a new collector for it and restore the stub pipes. I have a new Dynomax muffler I planned on connecting to the new tailpipe on the collector. $550. The header pipes are a bit rusty. I'll have it coated at Airborn for an additional $175 if requested.
retro74
I was wondering what my header was and now I know it's a Euro Header. Thanks for the pic of the underside. My car has been off the road for three years now and my T4 rebuild is almost done.

Here's my comments about the header...
1. I don't have the removable stub pipes, they are all welded up to the 4 into 1 collector

2. Notice how it wraps Under the engine. The oil drain plug is blocked by this and when you drain the oil it flows over the pipe. This can be prevented with a quick-drain plug and a hose, but now you know.

3. Again, on the under the engine design. This may make more hear for the engine case, I don't know? I am considering a clamp-on heat shield from a piece of stainless as part of my rebuild.

4. The pipes hang down quite a bit (under the engine case) and you will get some scrapes from bottoming out on road dips. Easy to weld on some scuff sleeves from a slit pipe if you need it.

5. A bit loud, but that depends on your muffler.
carr914
I ran KHH on 2 different 2.0s and liked them. I wrapped one set and later JetCoated them. I liked them, a little loud (Iliked it) and the price was very nice. I have a set Kerrys headers on my six and really love them.

T.C.
SirAndy
QUOTE (MattR @ Aug 7 2005, 11:50 PM)

thanks for all the info guys!

the euro race setup looks nice, but i don't think it'll work with my tuna-can, will it?
idea.gif Andy
lapuwali
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Aug 8 2005, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE (MattR @ Aug 7 2005, 11:50 PM)

thanks for all the info guys!

the euro race setup looks nice, but i don't think it'll work with my tuna-can, will it?
idea.gif Andy

There's more than one Eurorace header. Do a search here, I know there have been pics of both types posted here. The newer ones are (I think) different than the one posted on this thread.
bperry
Andy,
There seems to be different versions out there and/or some confusion
about which ones are made by which company.

You can also look at the triad version as well:
Triad WEB page
From what I've seen a Tuna can will work with the Eurorace and
the Triad version.
I have the one below which I got years ago from FAT performance
and was told it was from Eurorace and it does not wrap under the
engine.
There is also another thread on this: Eurorace/Triad thread.
This is exactly the same headers that I have.

--- bill

ottox914
I too have the KH system, and think for the $$$, its great. It comes with just a thin coating of paint, so don't be suprized when it burns off and you get some rust. Either wrap it, clean it off with some paint thinner and put high temp paint on it, or send it out for a high temp coating. Also. You have to fab your own bracket for the supertrap. And. It is recomended that you offset the clutch cable to run at more of a downward angle off the bracket/pully wheel, rather than the more parallel to the ground line it would take as normally installed. This is to keep it from the hot pipes. This will lower your ground clearance some, if your car is heavily lowered, keep this in mind. I put some hook and loop heat sleeve around the cable after lowering it, just for some extra insurance, and have had no problems. Kinda loud w/the trapp, but I like it that way. At the auto cross, have had many complements that it sounds much better than the SSI/bursch setup prior. Had some light exhaust leaks, but found loose nuts to the head studs, ? if leaks due to nuts coming loose or mfg of the header. Tightened the nuts up a little, have had no problems since.
Mueller
QUOTE (bperry @ Aug 8 2005, 11:37 AM)
Andy,
There seems to be different versions out there and/or some confusion
about which ones are made by which company.

You can also look at the triad version as well:
Triad WEB page
From what I've seen a Tuna can will work with the Eurorace and
the Triad version.
I have the one below which I got years ago from FAT performance
and was told it was from Eurorace and it does not wrap under the
engine.
There is also another thread on this: Eurorace/Triad thread.
This is exactly the same headers that I have.

--- bill

mine looks just like the one in the picture.....Eurorace Header and the "street" muffler.
lapuwali
Looks like I'm confused now, too. Are the Triad and the Eurorace parts the same parts, or just two headers with the same design being welded together by different shops? As far as I can tell, the only difference is the Eurorace shots I've seen had the collector and header pipes joined by springs, and the Triad shots show a solid welded assembly.

In any case, the Triad headers pictured on the Triad website will certainly work with a tuna can, since their demo engine picture has one.

I'm going to be in the header market myself soonish. Figure I'd like to maximize this new 2.2...

Mueller
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Aug 8 2005, 12:49 PM)
Looks like I'm confused now, too. Are the Triad and the Eurorace parts the same parts, or just two headers with the same design being welded together by different shops? As far as I can tell, the only difference is the Eurorace shots I've seen had the collector and header pipes joined by springs, and the Triad shots show a solid welded assembly.

In any case, the Triad headers pictured on the Triad website will certainly work with a tuna can, since their demo engine picture has one.

I'm going to be in the header market myself soonish. Figure I'd like to maximize this new 2.2...

different manufactures...the Eurorace are also a few hundred dollars less last time I checked.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.