Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fan belt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
Its been a long time since I changed a fan belt on a 914. The lower alternator bolt you have to access from under the car, correct?

Do you need to remove any of the heating ductwork or heater flapper valve to access it or will it be in plain sight?

Got the top allen head bolt loose but the alternator will not push inward. Lower bolt must be really stuck on. Car had been sitting for 15 years.

Thanks for the help.

Ed
TheCabinetmaker
Might not have to loosen that bolt. You can usually move move it after loosening the clamp bolt on the top
bdstone914
QUOTE(EJP914 @ Oct 21 2022, 06:35 PM) *

Its been a long time since I changed a fan belt on a 914. The lower alternator bolt you have to access from under the car, correct?

Do you need to remove any of the heating ductwork or heater flapper valve to access it or will it be in plain sight?

Got the top allen head bolt loose but the alternator will not push inward. Lower bolt must be really stuck on. Car had been sitting for 15 years.

Thanks for the help.

Ed

@EJP914
Yes you need to access the nut on the lower bolt from below the car. I think you can do it with the right 13mm socket and extendion combination.
The bolt will not turn as it has a flat on the head.
930cabman
Yes, the lower bolt with a 13mm hex nut is easy to reach. The alternator pivots on this bolt, so it must be loosened.
EJP914
I don't think that lower bolt was EVER loosened up. Car has low miles, had been sitting for years and I am second owner. What a PITA job this was.
Couldn't find the right combination of wrench, socket, extensions to get back to it. Had to take the heating ducts all apart to access.
Not a difficult job, just took longer than expected...as most jobs do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.