Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New member, 1972 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tinworm914
Hello all, new to the Porsche world but not new to projects. Just acquired this 1972 914-4. The car is fairly rusty, despite being a California car. Front fenders have been modified and the front bumper is 944esque. It has not ran in at least 20 years or so. The car came with another engine and transmission as well, that will be going into my cousin's 1969 911T that someone had already previously swapped a 912 engine into. I am wondering if anyone has any info on the front end this car sports.
Cairo94507
welcome.png Welcome to the madness. Your screen name is perfect for these cars. Post up a picture and I am sure someone will be of assistance. Sounds almost like a Chalone body kit. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
Van B
welcome.png

@emerygt350 You have a new buddy lol!
tinworm914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 23 2022, 03:31 PM) *

welcome.png Welcome to the madness. Your screen name is perfect for these cars. Post up a picture and I am sure someone will be of assistance. Sounds almost like a Chalone body kit. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the welcome! Well, my name matches the car.. Here's a link with some pictures! https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dkk4eqny7rgmas6/...LsZY-PeMDa?dl=0
dstudeba
Oh my, I don't know about the fenders, but the front bumper/flange is from a 944 turbo.
krazykonrad
welcome.png

I have a '72 as well, but no body kit. Welcome aboard!
914-300Hemi
welcome.png
bkrantz
QUOTE(dstudeba @ Oct 24 2022, 07:26 PM) *

Oh my, I don't know about the fenders, but the front bumper/flange is from a 944 turbo.

I think not. The 944 turbo had a one-piece nose cover with hidden bumper. Might be early 911 Turbo.
dstudeba
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 24 2022, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(dstudeba @ Oct 24 2022, 07:26 PM) *

I think not. The 944 turbo had a one-piece nose cover with hidden bumper. Might be early 911 Turbo.

I will double down on the 944 turbo.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Craigers17
What you have there is a "slant nose" or "slope nose" front end with what looks like a 944 turbo front end and a 916 rear bumper. Some folks a few decades ago converted their 914's to slant nose.

welcome.png
TRS63
Welcome here !

Antoine
JON H
Here’s a car that looks quite similar to yours. I bought years ago from Pete at Restoration Design. It was built in 1989 by a shop in California called the Beach Boys. It has steel 930 rear flare, 916 fibreglass rear bumper, fibreglass front fenders, fibreglass trunk and a fibreglass front bumper. It’s quite well built. It is now being used as a parts car for my other build. And welcome…..

Jon H.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
NARP74
While we are on the subject of non-traditional nose and tail parts, I thought I would add this one. I have asked a few other times and have not been able to find a real answer yet. LMK

Good luck with the car, enjoy and welcome.
Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
welcome.png

Neat find! Be fun to watch what you do with it.

driving.gif
emerygt350
Definitely a slant definitely not a chalon. I think they were trying for the 944 as well.
tinworm914
First and foremost I need to figure out why the passenger rear wheel is locked up solid. After that, I'll start addressing the rust and issues. Plans are to do a subaru EZ30 swap after getting all of the body and rust issues knocked out. The interior needs some love and a deep clean, as it doesn't smell great.. For anyone wondering, the car has not been converted to a 5 lug setup. The rotors are drilled and tapped for a 5 lug pattern. Interesting approach to say the least. Wheels are from a firebird allegedly. Thank you all for the welcome and information.
emerygt350
I posted the vw mag article on the chalon in here somewhere if you want to read about it.
campbellcj
welcome.png Where in SoCal are you roughly? Lots of members & 914s in the region - I'm near the 101 & 23 more or less. Looking forward to more on your project! Years ago Ottos in Venice worked on my cars and was next door to Beach Boys. I never really checked out their place or projects up close though.
burton73
welcome.png

you are at the right place for all your info on these great little cars

bob b
tinworm914
Hello all, not much to update due to being fairly busy in life. I finally have been able to remove the smell of death and mice from the interior with a combination of an ozone generator and some vaccuming. I do have a question. Does anyone sell a reproduction full cowl, corner to corner? Mine has rust on both corners, but also the center section as well. I have added photos to the dropbox link. Also, I will be looking for a hood, and trunk lid fairly soon. Mine are too rusty to work with. I am located in North Santa Barbara county. https://www.dropbox.com/home/1985GT/1972%20914
emerygt350
Good luck with that... If you have heavy rust you might just want to go back to stock. Your not gonna have a lot of luck finding chalon stuff laying around.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.