Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dealer options part 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fatlando
i was clearing out my desk and found my original porsche 914 broschure that came with the car. but first here's to the nay-sayers that say that 914's are not porsches.
finger.gif

it's a 4 page broshcure that says "THE PORSCHE 914/1975" and is littered with porsche in the text everywhere.

Here are the dealer options listed, for both the 1.8 and 2.0.

Appearance Group.

* Steering wheel with leatherette cover.
* Center console with clock, oil temperature guage and voltage meter.
* Leatherette boot for shift lever.
* Dual tone horn.
*Fog lights in bumper.

Performance group

* Pressure cast alloy wheels.
* Front and rear stabilzer bars.
* Front Spoiler.

In some cases, the cars pictured in this catalog have been equipped with items which are optional or not available in the United States. Your local authorized Porsche Audi dealer will be glad to show you the latest list of standard equipment for this market, as well as all of the availble options. Desing and equipment specifications are subject ot change without notice."

pretty cool stuff....i know i'm a few days late, but wtf.
Mueller
QUOTE (fatlando @ Aug 8 2005, 07:56 AM)
i was clearing out my desk and found my original porsche 914 broschure that came with the car. but first here's to the nay-sayers that say that 914's are not porsches.

it's a 4 page broshcure that says "THE PORSCHE 914/1975" and is littered with porsche in the text everywhere.

it's a mis-print and Porsche sent out letters retracting the mistake of labeling it a Porsche smile.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif
TJB/914
1975 - mueba.gif 914's are wanna be 911's.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (fatlando @ Aug 8 2005, 10:56 AM)
it's a 4 page brochure that says "THE PORSCHE 914/1975" and is littered with porsche in the text everywhere.

...Your local authorized Porsche Audi dealer...

...Design and equipment specifications are subject to change without notice."

yes, VWoA tried very hard to sell that concept in North America :-)

they tried to sell Audi with the same zeal - Porsche dealerships were required to sell Audi too...

and thus the fate of the "Grasshopper" whose design was changed right out of existence...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Thomas J Bliznik @ Aug 8 2005, 11:07 AM)
1975 - 914's are wanna be 911's.

and a '75 911 is a wanna-be Carrera...
redshift
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 8 2005, 11:11 AM)
QUOTE (Thomas J Bliznik @ Aug 8 2005, 11:07 AM)
1975 -  914's are wanna be 911's.

and a '75 911 is a wanna-be Carrera...

4 cammer or a sticker?

wink.gif

M
smg914
"Dealer Options" That term is a little misleading. To me, the Appearance Group options and Performance Group options are all factory options. Meaning options that are installed by the factory. Dealer options for the 914 are things like Air Conditioning, luggage rack and coco mats.
JeffBowlsby
and thus the fate of the "Grasshopper" whose design was changed right out of existence...

idea.gif

smg914
That's a great picture Jeff..........

I assume it's your best guess that the grasshopper came with white and Ravenna Green as opposed to white with Zambezi Green?
JeffBowlsby
The green trim on my replica GH is the closest I can get based on the best information I have come across to date, Steve. The side stripe is an original dealer-supplied stripe, they were only available in yellow-orange-green-white and gold. My stripe is not Ravenna, Lime Green or Zambezi, and I simply matched the trim paint color to the stripe. It’s a little more yellow than Ravenna. Yowzahs….it bright, but in the same spirit of the color palette of the other LE colors.

I have proof that the dealer-provided side stripes were a different color than the factory-installed LE side stripes. I have both a dealer-supplied yellow stripe (its Saturn Yellow) and the original stripes (they are Sunflower yellow) on my Bumblebee, they are different, so I cannot help but think the dealer-green is off too, but its all I have. Yet there is conflicting, supposedly reliable information about the side stripes. Reputable books say that the stripes were only installed at the factory. One respected member here, with supposed first-hand knowledge of the factory practices back then, suggest the stripes were installed by the dealers, although apparently supplied by the factory. Sometimes it seems like the closer we get, the further away we are…

Here is better photo while I was at Capn Krustys on the way to the WCC2005...

Porsche Rescue
As a totally unreliable source I must comment. Somewhere in the far reaches of my very old memory I have a vision of a "grasshopper". Don't know if I really saw one or it was a dream. It was light ivory and zambezi green.
smg914
Thanks Jeff. I was interested in your thought process and now I understand how you decided on that shade of green. Makes good sense. I believe I was one of the one's that came up with the information on the LE stripes arriving at the dealerships with the LE cars as part of the "LE Kit" and then the dealer installed them. This information was given to me by my friend Mario who was selling Porsche's at a Porsche dealership in 1974 (and still is today).
Brent
QUOTE (smg914 @ Aug 8 2005, 11:59 AM)
"Dealer Options" That term is a little misleading. To me, the Appearance Group options and Performance Group options are all factory options. Meaning options that are installed by the factory. Dealer options for the 914 are things like Air Conditioning, luggage rack and coco mats.

And apparently Black painted Fuch 2.0 Alloys, and a negative stripe, and perhaps Sail panel vinyl????
lotus_65
could there be seat heaters in the list of options somewhere... i think i have them.
smg914
No....you don't have seat heaters. If anything, the electrical connection to the seats are for the seat belt buzzer. If you feel heat on your seats after driving your 914, all that means is that your ass is hot.
Porsche Rescue
No seat heaters. If you are referring to the wires entering the seat cushions, they are for the "butt" sensors, which, when working correctly, prevent starting the car with seat occupied and safety belt unconnected.
lotus_65
QUOTE (smg914 @ Aug 8 2005, 06:17 PM)
No....you don't have seat heaters. If anything, the electrical connection to the seats are for the seat belt buzzer. If you feel heat on your seats after driving your 914, all that means is that your ass is hot.

yes, the ladies all agree, my ass is indeed HOT wink.gif

seriously.

i have 2 switches in front of the center glove box, they correspond to 2 red lights on the center console. my center is different from most i've seen; it has a bulbous top that accepts 3 guages horizontally and is mounted to a half normal center with just the clock.

the lights illuminate when the switches are thrown... i don't think they work anymore, whatever they are...
North Bay 914
QUOTE (fatlando @ Aug 8 2005, 06:56 AM)
Here are the dealer options listed, for both the 1.8 and 2.0.

Appearance Group.

* Steering wheel with leatherette cover.
* Center console with clock, oil temperature guage and voltage meter.
* Leatherette boot for shift lever.
* Dual tone horn.
*Fog lights in bumper.

Performance group

* Pressure cast alloy wheels.
* Front and rear stabilzer bars.
* Front Spoiler.

I spoke with the original owner of my 74 2.0, which only has two options...sway bars and tinted windshield....I showed him a recent photo of it, and the first thing he noticed was the non-original 2.0 Fuchs. He said the car was equipped with Super Beetle wheels from the factory. He bought it because it was the cheapest 2.0 at $6409.00. This was a surprise to me and dispels the rumor that the Fuchs are part of any group after 1974. They must have been stricly optional, even a 2.0 liter
smg914
Quote: I spoke with the original owner of my 74 2.0, which only has two options...sway bars and tinted windshield....I showed him a recent photo of it, and the first thing he noticed was the non-original 2.0 Fuchs. He said the car was equipped with Super Beetle wheels from the factory. He bought it because it was the cheapest 2.0 at $6409.00. This was a surprise to me and dispels the rumor that the Fuchs are part of any group after 1974. They must have been stricly optional, even a 2.0 liter

Answer: You are correct, in 1974 everything pretty much was optional. Although I've seen some stripped down '73 2 Liters from the factory, most '73 2 Liters came with all the Performance Group options and the Appearance Group options. However most '74 2 Liters you see have a various assortment of the Appearance and Performance Group options and sometimes none at all. I believe they did this in 1974 to help keep the cost of the car down.

As an example, my fully optioned 1973 2 Liter including color to sample paint and tinted windows all around was only $6,279.50, compared to your sparcely optioned 1974 2 Liter at over $6,400.00
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.