Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm a sucker for rust! New package deal on 2 914's and New Member
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LouCity914
Hello 914 enthusiast - thanks for allowing me into the group. I suspect I will be here often.

I just recently made a package deal on a 1974 914 and a 1973 914. A complete 2.0 engine and a partial 1.8. No transmissions. The 1973 needs a long replacement and work in the hell hole, but overall is in pretty sounds , mostly rust free condition. Not perfect, but much better than most rollers I've priced out. I made a deal for everything including a 1974 with a Chalan wide body kit and 911 hubs and some decent Fuch replicas.

The 73 we'll come back to in a later post I'm sure. However, the 74 wide body has my attention at the moment. She is a rust queen. And before anyone starts to pile on - I come from the MG WORLD! So, rust is my middle name and have the skills and equipment, including a rotisserie, to do my own repairs.

I took a gamble as the price was right and it looks like I hit a home run on the 73 as far as rust goes (some long work passenger side, single patch in the trunk and the floors are good).

The 74 wide body was a bit more of a gamble - I could clearly see the sag, the obvious rocker and floor stuff. But, what has intrigued me is the fact that most of the original body had been cut away to place the Chalan kit on.

Let me further say, that I realize this cars best hope is a cool driver - perhaps after I replace the inner rockers and do the fiberglass work (and make it safe complete with documentation) I will market to someone who wants to do a motor swap. The guy waiting in line bebind me wanted to put a Subaru engine in it.

So, my questions are was it common to cut the original fenders off when adding a kit like this? Also, was it a matter of weight? Did they want a lighter car?

Also - I clearly think it benefits me from a repair perspective, because there was less sheet model to rust. And any patches required behind the fiberglass need not be dressed up nicely - just strong.

Can't wait for feedback and thanks for the add!
nivekdodge
Pictures?
Cairo94507
welcome.png Welcome to the World. Way to dive into the deep end of the pool too. Let's see some pictures. After working on MG's, this should be a cake-walk for you. beerchug.gif
LouCity914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 27 2022, 07:44 AM) *

welcome.png Welcome to the World. Way to dive into the deep end of the pool too. Let's see some pictures. After working on MG's, this should be a cake-walk for you. beerchug.gif

No inner wings or inner membrane sill + castle rail + rocker + floor pans... MGB's are pretty tedious from the inside out. I've been pleasantly surprised at the simplicity of the 914 unibody. The longs seem to be 90% of the battle (floor pans of course adding to the integrity). But, simple by roadster comparison.

I will probably keep one of the two for a bit when fished.

I've loved these cars since I was a young boy. Now I'm an old boy with some skills and all my cars outpace my 401k lol!
dstudeba
Click to view attachment
LouCity914
QUOTE(dstudeba @ Oct 27 2022, 09:15 AM) *

smile.gif

Thanks for the assistance - still trying to figure out adding photos - seems to only allow URL.
dstudeba
Will be fun to watch! What is the original paint code on the 73?
LouCity914
I'll need to do my homework - just got her in the bay as sun was setting now I have this silly job thing, and a freaking dinner party tonight! Why can't I just be left alone with my cars? lol
Mikey914
welcome.png
You really are ambitious! Yes you can do it, just takes time and money (+skills). Looking forward to seeing your progress. Good thing you got the 914 starter pack (car plus spare) biggrin.gif
kerensky
Welcome to the madness, new friend! It's nice to see someone jump into this with lots of experience and their eyes wide open. Interested to see how they turn out. I've always thought the Chalon kit was a good stab at what the 914 might have looked like if it'd stayed in production alongside the 924/944 through the 80s.
nathanxnathan
QUOTE(LouCity914 @ Oct 27 2022, 08:05 AM) *

With the big bumpers, it looks like it's a 75 or 76. I'd check the vin. It seems unlikely that anyone would put those bumpers on an early car with the complication of the shocks/different front cross panel etc, plus their not being very desirable.
nathanxnathan
oh and
welcome.png
bye1.gif
beech4rd
Welcome to the World, from a former, and now fully recovered, MGB owner. I suspect that your 1973 roller is actually a 1975 model year car- the bumpers give it away. The third number in the VIN will be 5 if it's a '75, 3 if it's a '73.

Chris
LouCity914
QUOTE(kerensky @ Oct 27 2022, 10:43 AM) *

Welcome to the madness, new friend! It's nice to see someone jump into this with lots of experience and their eyes wide open. Interested to see how they turn out. I've always thought the Chalon kit was a good stab at what the 914 might have looked like if it'd stayed in production alongside the 924/944 through the 80s.

Thanks for the encouragement. We'll see what direction I go. I'd like to get the Chalan roller safe and cleaned up then move it. I'd prefer to put my money in the 73 - though those fenders are covered with surface rust - it's pretty strait... work to be done for sure - but the doors line up and the hell hole is minimal.

Cheers!
LouCity914
QUOTE(beech4rd @ Oct 27 2022, 11:01 AM) *

Welcome to the World, from a former, and now fully recovered, MGB owner. I suspect that your 1973 roller is actually a 1975 model year car- the bumpers give it away. The third number in the VIN will be 5 if it's a '75, 3 if it's a '73.

Chris

Thanks for the clarification - I can spot a pull handle MGB MK1 from a mile away... still learning the 14 but love the simplicity of the unibody compared to the B's for sure. Though I suspect Porsche never match the simplicity of an 1800! Just two different experiences!

Cheers,

Todd
LouCity914
QUOTE(LouCity914 @ Oct 27 2022, 11:09 AM) *

QUOTE(beech4rd @ Oct 27 2022, 11:01 AM) *

Chris

Thanks for the clarification - I can spot a pull handle MGB MK1 from a mile away... still learning the 14 but love the simplicity of the unibody compared to the B's for sure. Though I suspect Porsche never match the simplicity of an 1800! Just two different experiences!

Cheers,

Todd

Then the 2.0 was likely out of the 75 as it were. Not matching numbers but, it would have made scence. Though I suppose and model will fit 1.7 - 2.0?
burton73
welcome.png

You have got this bud

Best Bob B
kerensky
QUOTE(LouCity914 @ Oct 27 2022, 12:12 PM) *

Then the 2.0 was likely out of the 75 as it were. Not matching numbers but, it would have made scence. Though I suppose and model will fit 1.7 - 2.0?

Yes. Otherwise I expect the smaller motor would've been the 1.8 with L-Jet, and not the older 1.7 motor. The engine architecture is basically the same so swapping them around isn't a big deal. Lots of little things don't swap between motors tho, like heat exchangers/exhaust, intakes/injection, etc., at least not without some shenanigans involved. wink.gif
LouCity914
I realize I may need to do somer serious non-emotional evaluation of the car. The now verified 75 is in much nicer shape... I'll start cutting and see just how bad the bad is... I understand that there is a point at which the car is worth more in parts than the time to fix it correctly.
bbrock
QUOTE(LouCity914 @ Oct 28 2022, 07:24 AM) *

I understand that there is a point at which the car is worth more in parts than the time to fix it correctly.

True, but the tipping point depends on how you value the time you will donate to the project. With parts available today, you can break even restoring some surprisingly deteriorated hulks as long as it is a labor of love and you do it all yourself.

Looks like a couple of cool projects. I thought the Chalon's were really cool when I was a kid. I'm not sure it was "common" to install those kits, but they were popular. Probably a number of reasons people did them but one reason a person would consider chopping half the body off a car would be after extensive damage. I'd keep that in mind as you evaluate.

welcome.png
emerygt350
Well, at least the fiber-glass didn't rust. Truthfully, if you have a rusted hulk and you want to return it to nice you would probably have to replace the quarters anyway. On a Chalon half the job is done!

Click to view attachment
LouCity914
Thanks everyone and I needed that encouragement. I swept the first bucket of rust off the garage floor last night... always a "what have you done moment." But then the glimpse of an old Racer X poster caught my eye from one of the many shabby bit on the walls of my shop... inspiration. There is was.

I consider my time therapy (and some say I need a lot) So, that being said, I think of the money I'm saving! I will probably press forward, simpley because this car is really only half a car rust battle wise. The time I devote to the frame will be extensive but, from there up, it's all fiberglass work (I cut my teeth on that years ago). Well except for the hood and rotten doors, lol.

And I look at it as way to improve my welding skills and fabrication chops without a super investment in the car. So it's all upside.

I think she could be a very nice candidate for a swop and fun driver - so I may want to do that. Put the 2.0 back in the 75 and spend some real money there. I have my 16 year old dismantling that car (bagging parts and labeling). He's in love. That project can take 2 or three years, I'm ok with that and love passing on the skills. I wish my father had taught me to shape metal and weld... we'll see if it can pull him away from driving virtual super cars online. Though I did see him in the seat of the rusty 75 with that smile... the three gauge dial... the period gauges at eye level, the seats. The 914 is Racer X!
LouCity914
And so it begins. I've learned over my years of restoration to always assume it's worse than it appears. This car was no exception. I got her blocked up and the wheels removed this weekend so I could start the exam.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/02fa8iszk3wpzTUhd11LdPrKQ

https://share.icloud.com/photos/07btphv5kr4ofUcrHjYfM0cQw

https://share.icloud.com/photos/098jJ8eB8NnmN_ZnQgpNk8cuQ

I will need to remove the entire kit. It appears that whoever added it didn't prep the areas where the fenders and other pieces were attached. The result - rust on all metal where the Chalan kit is attached. I had a hunch the was the case when I purchased it.

In the end, it will make the job easier as I can prep and paint the fenders (at least the prep) off the car. And once removed I'll be able to have full access to the tub - without having to cut the original medal fenders off (someone did the before me).

If I have to cut the fiberglass - no big deal (resin, cloth, filler, sand, sand, sand). At least ir will cut the metal work down.

I'm curious if anyone else has had the experience of removing and re-attaching a kit?

Cheers

Freezin 914
welcome.png

My prediction of your future,
sawzall-smiley.gif type.gif smash.gif welder.gif type.gif driving.gif first.gif

Welcome to the sickness!
LouCity914
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Nov 2 2022, 06:09 AM) *

welcome.png

My prediction of your future,
sawzall-smiley.gif type.gif smash.gif welder.gif type.gif driving.gif first.gif

Welcome to the sickness!

Pretty much nailed it. Is it wrong that I actually love the challenge? I was born with a grinder in my right hand! Also, can someone explain how to insert photos directly here? The only option I seem to have is linking them.

This project will have lots of pics!

Cheers and thanks for not being one of those people who insult you on your project before they know a thing about your experience. Notice the 67 MGB in the background,,, I've seen rust that most would run away from...
emerygt350
Ouch, that looks pretty rough. Have you looked into aftermarket stock fenders? If I were in your position, I would probably want to go back to stock or flares (just to make life easy). Problem is, last time I checked, the aftermarket fenders were very expensive. Others know more on that than I do.
LouCity914
I'm going to try to salvage these fiberglass fenders and re-condition them. Even if I have to cut them off, fiberglass work is easy cheesy as long as I can keep them together for the most part. This is going to be a budget build. I'll save my big $ for another, less far gone car.
dstudeba
How to add pictures to your post
LouCity914
QUOTE(dstudeba @ Nov 2 2022, 09:18 AM) *

Thank you - I should have investigated a bit more.
LouCity914
This picture really tells the story:

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(LouCity914 @ Nov 2 2022, 09:46 AM) *

I'm going to try to salvage these fiberglass fenders and re-condition them. Even if I have to cut them off, fiberglass work is easy cheesy as long as I can keep them together for the most part. This is going to be a budget build. I'll save my big $ for another, less far gone car.

I've had to learn this lesson a few times. But you save money in the long term buying the less rusty car...

Someone had a not-rusty roller here last week they wanted to get rid of. Buy it and transfer the good stuff over. You will be SO FAR ahead in the long term.

With either of the 2 cars you have now, there is going to be a lot of sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif before its rocking nana.gif .

Zach
LouCity914
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Nov 2 2022, 12:04 PM) *

I've had to learn this lesson a few times. But you save money in the long term buying the less rusty car...

Someone had a not-rusty roller here last week they wanted to get rid of. Buy it and transfer the good stuff over. You will be SO FAR ahead in the long term.

With either of the 2 cars you have now, there is going to be a lot of sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif before its rocking nana.gif .

Zach

Understood. I don't mind the work as it keeps me sane.

LouCity914
QUOTE(LouCity914 @ Nov 2 2022, 12:16 PM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Nov 2 2022, 12:04 PM) *

Zach

A roller would be a good option, don't get me wrong. Just going to dive in a little deeper - there is a point at which this could be an option. But, for now my time is mine alone and I enjoy the challenge.

bbrock
QUOTE(LouCity914 @ Nov 2 2022, 07:14 AM) *

Is it wrong that I actually love the challenge?

Probably, but I share your disease. I'd much rather save a basket case than buy something in great condition. screwy.gif

Carry on! smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
KELTY360
[/quote]
[/quote]

Let me get this straight; You 'graduated' from rusty MGBs to rusty 914s and you expect us to believe you're sane?

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to buy a boat from you. shades.gif

welcome.png

BTW, around here, sanity isn't a requirement.
LouCity914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 2 2022, 01:04 PM) *

QUOTE(LouCity914 @ Nov 2 2022, 07:14 AM) *

Is it wrong that I actually love the challenge?

Probably, but I share your disease. I'd much rather save a basket case than buy something in great condition. screwy.gif

Carry on! smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

That's what I've always said. Saving one gives much, more pleasure. I've always had to wrench, grind, weld and build. I'm way to poor to do anything else.

Saved a 73 MGB recently and she loves me for it... she tells me every day I drive her!!!

People with the money can buy what they want (no disrespect). Poor builders have to imagine what a car could be. Big difference.

Cheers,

Todd
LouCity914
[quote name='KELTY360' date='Nov 2 2022, 01:04 PM' post='3039208']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Let me get this straight; You 'graduated' from rusty MGBs to rusty 914s and you expect us to believe you're sane?

welcome.png

[/quote]

I never mentioned sanity - I'm bat shit crazy. Who has an unfinished 67 MGB MK1 on a rotisserie and has to move it over to make room for the rusty Porsche 914?

I daily drive a 73 B every chance I get (year round). That's the opposite of sane. I have a new Toyota Tacoma and I'd rather drive a roadster with no heat or AC! I need that smell in the morning with my coffee to wake me up!!!

I think I found my crowd!!!

Cheers,

mb911
[quote name='LouCity914' date='Nov 2 2022, 11:18 AM' post='3039214']
[/quote]
[/quote]

welcome.png

[/quote]

I never mentioned sanity - I'm bat shit crazy. Who has an unfinished 67 MGB MK1 on a rotisserie and has to move it over to make room for the rusty Porsche 914?

I daily drive a 73 B every chance I get (year round). That's the opposite of sane. I have a new Toyota Tacoma and I'd rather drive a roadster with no heat or AC! I need that smell in the morning with my coffee to wake me up!!!

Cheers,
[/quote]

That is awesome. I try to be that way as much as I can as well. inspirational shot of my carClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
LouCity914
[quote name='mb911' date='Nov 3 2022, 07:31 AM' post='3039372']
[quote name='LouCity914' date='Nov 2 2022, 11:18 AM' post='3039214']
[/quote]
[/quote]

welcome.png

[/quote]

Cheers,
[/quote]

That is awesome. I try to be that way as much as I can as well. inspirational shot of my carClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
[/quote]

Thanks for the inspiration! Good looking 14! I’ll be at it awhile for sure - but it beats not having a 914 (or two lol) to save!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.