Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blinkeer wiring?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
torakki
'74 2.0l been sitting for a while and turn signals didn't work. After playing around with them, they now work but the top light in the fuel instrument flashes even when the turn signals are in the center (off) positon. Where are the 12 volts coming from? I've scanned the diagrams and all seems correct. Any ideas?
Thanks

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
That light always has 12v to it, and is possibly triggered to ground by two things.

1. There is a switch on the side of the master cylinder. It has a button in the center that needs to be reset to turn the light off.

2. The park brake handle has a switch that triggers the light when the brake is pulled. If the brake is not fully off, the light will be triggered. It is also possible it is a bad switch. Take the driver's seat out so you can see the switch. Make sure the button is popped up when the brake is pulled.

Clay
Lockwodo
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 27 2022, 05:40 PM) *

That light always has 12v to it, and is possibly triggered to ground by two things.

1. There is a switch on the side of the master cylinder. It has a button in the center that needs to be reset to turn the light off.

2. The park brake handle has a switch that triggers the light when the brake is pulled. If the brake is not fully off, the light will be triggered. It is also possible it is a bad switch. Take the driver's seat out so you can see the switch. Make sure the button is popped up when the brake is pulled.

Clay

In the case of #1, it may mean that brake pressure was lost at some point, so the flashing light may indicate a leak in the master cylinder or a brake line or caliper.
torakki
OK. Clay, you're on to something. First, I checked the switch on the hand brake. No difference, in or out. Then, jacked up the car and pushed in the little plunger (maybe 1/8"). A little hard to push in and stayed in. Light still flashing but when I release the hand brake, it goes off now.
Lockwodo - I recently bleed all the brakes and slowly getting a good pedal. I will continue to bleed since the hand brake wont stop the car from rolling. I think there's a stuck piston or two.
Could it also be that I have the wrong relay for the blinkers? I found this one in my box of old parts. It matched the socket it goes in (blades, not pins). All the other relay plugs are pins.
Thanks for the responses.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
Bleeding the brakes almost always makes my light come on; just gotta reset the MC switch. smile.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(torakki @ Oct 28 2022, 04:31 PM) *

OK. Clay, you're on to something. First, I checked the switch on the hand brake. No difference, in or out. Then, jacked up the car and pushed in the little plunger (maybe 1/8"). A little hard to push in and stayed in. Light still flashing but when I release the hand brake, it goes off now.

That's how it is supposed to work.

QUOTE(torakki @ Oct 28 2022, 04:31 PM) *

Lockwodo - I recently bleed all the brakes and slowly getting a good pedal. I will continue to bleed since the hand brake wont stop the car from rolling. I think there's a stuck piston or two.

Did you check the venting clearance on the rear calipers? It has to be set correctly or the park brake won't work. The procedure is in the Haynes manual. But be aware, the clearance they specify in there is wrong. It should be .004 not .008.

Hope that helps.

Clay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.