Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Restoration seen today at C&C
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Cal brought his grievous -6 restoration to C & C in Tustin today. Parts of work was done at Cary’s shop and later at Ben Martins.
Added to VIN database
jim_hoyland
Hopefully Cal will chime in and give more details.
Cairo94507
Nice to see another 6 on the road. Is that a full cage? beerchug.gif
raynekat
We in Oregon don't speak of Ben Martin any more.
Cary's work was always the best.
davenorcal
QUOTE(raynekat @ Oct 29 2022, 03:18 PM) *

@Raynekat-Why do you say this?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 29 2022, 02:55 PM) *

Cal brought his grievous -6 restoration to C & C in Tustin today. Parts of work was done at Cary’s shop and later at Ben Martins.
Added to VIN database

Gorgeous yes ! ..... Grievous ? no. biggrin.gif
raynekat
QUOTE(davenorcal @ Oct 29 2022, 04:37 PM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Oct 29 2022, 03:18 PM) *

@Raynekat-Why do you say this?

PM....and I can tell you.
flyer86d
What does it have for an engine? It reminds me of Chris Worley’s old car. Similar rear flares. Nice!

Charlie
mb911
QUOTE(raynekat @ Oct 29 2022, 02:18 PM) *

Oh no why is that?
calcoatsworth
finally a chance to reply:

It's an original Six that I have owned for nearly 40 years. When I bought the car it had been repainted, had a 911 E motor and the original 14” Fuchs were stolen, so in my mind there was no need for originality. Most of it’s life was spent awaiting restoration as life continued on . The start was a custom roll cage (that picks up all suspension points) and all the old school stiffeners (Automotion - Garretson -etc) by Rod Millen Motorsports. After that, my search for someone with a shared passion for the project ended when i met Cary Kutter. We found quite a few things in common with 914’s and my time in SCCA Pro Rally as the nucleus so work began. After Cary’s tragic and sad passing, the project was completed by Ben Martin. The engine and transmission were fully rebuilt by Jeff Gamroth and the team at Rothsport Racing.
The body is mostly stock, but as an architect I had to clean up every detail I could find!

…and finally the details requested:

1970 914-6
15 x 7 Fuchs
Bremtek (period) brakes
Automotion (period) suspension bits
2.4 L “E” motor with MFI (198 hp on the dyno)
Bursch headers and muffler (an homage to my Arcadia / Pasadena upbringing)
Momo “George Follmer” steering wheel (another homage)
….. and lots more little bits by Rod, Cary and Ben

I’m happy to answer anything else.
Cairo94507
@calcoatsworth - Congratulations on 4 decades of ownership and a beautiful car. I hope you are driving it regularly so people can remember and appreciate these wonderful cars. beerchug.gif
Jett
QUOTE(calcoatsworth @ Nov 1 2022, 02:26 PM) *

finally a chance to reply:

It's an original Six that I have owned for nearly 40 years. When I bought the car it had been repainted, had a 911 E motor and the original 14” Fuchs were stolen, so in my mind there was no need for originality. Most of it’s life was spent awaiting restoration as life continued on . The start was a custom roll cage (that picks up all suspension points) and all the old school stiffeners (Automotion - Garretson -etc) by Rod Millen Motorsports. After that, my search for someone with a shared passion for the project ended when i met Cary Kutter. We found quite a few things in common with 914’s and my time in SCCA Pro Rally as the nucleus so work began. After Cary’s tragic and sad passing, the project was completed by Ben Martin. The engine and transmission were fully rebuilt by Jeff Gamroth and the team at Rothsport Racing.
The body is mostly stock, but as an architect I had to clean up every detail I could find!

…and finally the details requested:

1970 914-6
15 x 7 Fuchs
Bremtek (period) brakes
Automotion (period) suspension bits
2.4 L “E” motor with MFI (198 hp on the dyno)
Bursch headers and muffler (an homage to my Arcadia / Pasadena upbringing)
Momo “George Follmer” steering wheel (another homage)
….. and lots more little bits by Rod, Cary and Ben

I’m happy to answer anything else.

Thanks for sharing! Glad to see this car on the road!
jim_hoyland
Thanks for adding all the details, it was a pleasure meeting to at C & C at Enderle Center.
Over the past several years we have bee treated to rarely seen 914s and the history of all is unique.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.