Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spark plugs-Edit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JamesJ
Any 2056 owners using stock FI?
What spark plugs are you using?

Update to this post:
Two of the spark plug holes(one on each side of the engine) in my new cylinder heads don't line up with the engine tin holes. I am not able to get the spark plug socket on the spark plug unless the spark plug is already installed. I am also not able to remove the spark plug all the way out without jamming the socket against the tin.

Option 1: make the freshly powder coated engine tin holes larger to accommodate the stock NGK 13/16" hex spark plugs. These have a 1mm protrusion.

Option 2: use NGK 5/8" hex spark plugs. These have a 3mm protrusion. Will this be an issue?

Other options?

Thanks

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
mlindner
I'd stick with the NGK's. If you run rich go with the BR5ES (one step hotter).
JamesJ
So +1 for NGK BR6ES
Brian Fuerbach
NGK BP6ET
Geezer914
NGK BP6ES
VaccaRabite
I like the BR5ES. They seem to run a little cleaner being one range hotter.

Zach
DRPHIL914
Running BP6ET in my 2056, although i was told by several engine builders inclunding mine they will go to a 7 if running in the summer in a hot region like ours as the 7’s are a step cooler, last time i did a plug check they were prefect after running 1500 miles from last fall winter and spring plugs were about perfect . i hardly drove this summer so i didn’t switch. run them for a few hundred miles and check them.
jim_hoyland
Does the heat rating depend on the spark plugs gap ? Should, say a 2056 use a different plug than a stick engine ?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 31 2022, 09:30 PM) *

Does the heat rating depend on the spark plugs gap ? Should, say a 2056 use a different plug than a stick engine ?

depends on a lot of factors, like my builder and other mechanics dont like the resistor plugs he says they run hotter, run low resistance wires,, and a non resistor plug, 6 seems to be sweet spot, my motor is higher compression running higher octane, but i look at the plug, and my AF , if i was running richer, i might run a hotter plug(5) but the 6 seems perfect judging by what i see on the plug, but also he says run a 7 in summer heat , cooler plug helps maybe a bit with higher head temps we see on the 2.1 builds and even stock 2.0's. the Bosch plugs i ran on my original motor when i got the car wwere the W7's. . lots of factors but right now, im staying iwth the BR6ET's.
930cabman
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Oct 31 2022, 06:06 AM) *

NGK BP6ES

I run these with a twin carbed 2056 (mild cam) she runs great, except when cold. Color is spot on
sportlicherFahrer
Another +1 for NGK BR6ES plugs. Run great with stock injection up here in the PNW, both L-jet and D-jet.
ClayPerrine
agree.gif

BP6ES.... or BPR6ES if you get noise in your radio.

worn
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 1 2022, 12:29 PM) *

agree.gif

What radio do you speak of? Oh. The dial thing. Perhaps yes, but when driving I cannot hear it. Plus, I am too old.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(worn @ Nov 1 2022, 05:02 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 1 2022, 12:29 PM) *

agree.gif

What radio do you speak of? Oh. The dial thing. Perhaps yes, but when driving I cannot hear it. Plus, I am too old.

I turned mine on the other day for the first time in about 5 years. But I didn't listen to the radio. I used it to amplify the Google maps voice giving me directions.

Clay
JamesM
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 31 2022, 04:44 PM) *

Running BP6ET in my 2056, although i was told by several engine builders inclunding mine they will go to a 7 if running in the summer in a hot region like ours as the 7’s are a step cooler, last time i did a plug check they were prefect after running 1500 miles from last fall winter and spring plugs were about perfect . i hardly drove this summer so i didn’t switch. run them for a few hundred miles and check them.

Are you running the 2.0 or 1.7/1.8 plug location? Heard a lot of good things from Vanagon owners about the ETs so bought a box and switched my van over to them recently. Was thinking about trying them in my 1.7 as I read the plug design accomplishes an unshrouding of the spark similar to the 2.0 plug relocation.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(JamesM @ Nov 2 2022, 07:33 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 31 2022, 04:44 PM) *

Are you running the 2.0 or 1.7/1.8 plug location? Heard a lot of good things from Vanagon owners about the ETs so bought a box and switched my van over to them recently. Was thinking about trying them in my 1.7 as I read the plug design accomplishes an unshrouding of the spark similar to the 2.0 plug relocation.

new 2.0 heads , stock 2.0 plug location, so i cant comment on the 1.7 , 2.0 differences. i guess i can see the thought process of having that longer , not sure how that works out in reality.

Phil
JamesJ
Edit
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.