Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: INFO Request for Nor-Calers - PC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SLITS
Have a customer with a 2.4T engine he wants to stick in a dune buggy (likes the sound). A few years ago, he dropped one of the timing chains, pulled the engine and sat it in the corner of a shop.

He is in SF area and wonders who to take it to to evaluate/fix it. He does not want the cast split, just the top end fixed. "It may see 1K per year, so I don't want a total rebuild".

Any recommendations....smart ass answers ok

ArtechnikA
as i suspect you know, there are master-link chains made for times when you don't need to split the case.
i donno if a 2,4T is an interference engine or not (my guess is yes...)

i know a few good shops up there - Jerry Woods and Alan Klingen at The Stable come to mind. they'll be expensive and may not want the liability of doing a top-end only on an unknown engine.

best i can do at the moment...

a 2,4T is what - 125HP tops?

he oughtta sell the engine as a core and put in a 2-point-something T-IV -- and get a MP3 of 911 noises to play through headphones while he's on the dunes. it'll be lighter, cheaper, faster. just MHO.
SLITS
Thanks Rich...I didn't make the call on the fix....told him it would be better to find a running 6 and drop it in, but offered to ask anyway.

I would like to have the 2.4 for a "never-happen" six conversion. biggrin.gif
McMark
I'd be willing to look at it.

707-738-5686
mightyohm
2.4T is one of the only non interference configurations thanks to it's 7.5:1 compression.

Oh and it's 140HP. And I love that engine. Fun fun fun.
Dave_Darling
The ones I know are pretty much in the South Bay, not SF. If those are acceptable, then...

RMG Enterprises, Sunnyvale. On El Camino just off Mary--actually, on the alleyway parallel to El Camino, back behind Bugformance.
Heyer ("higher") Performance, Mountain View. Old Middlefield, between Rengstorff and San Antonio.

I bet Rich and Larry could do the job, too. High Performance House, Redwood City.

Bob over at RMG is very possibly the best guy for street Porsches in the area. My attorney's SC goes to RMG. Tony at Heyer is good, very no-nonsense, no BS. He used to work on my 914s before I really started to... And after I'd screwed them up... And we all know Rich and Larry, right?

Jerry Woods, in Campbell, is the engine guy.

None of the above are cheap; all are worth it. Woods may be overkill for "just a top-end"...

--DD
neo914-6
You can try these guys:

Rich Bontempi
HPH High Perf. House
Work: 650-364-6234
Work: (877) 914-4YOU
E-Mail: HPHPORSCHE@aol.com
2431 Spring St.
Redwood City, CA 94063

Cliff Brown
Porsche-R-Us
Work: 415-673-1485
Mobile: 415-846-1680
E-Mail: Porsche911Parts@hotmail.co
San Francisco

theol00
GD Racing
1169 Montgomery Ave, San Bruno, CA 94066

tel 650 742 9322

Gary is the owner - knows Porsches like nobody I know - and does not overcharge or over do work !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.