Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock shift knob comes off…
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
peteinjp
So yeah – like the title says. We have such excellent driving roads for the 914 here. Curve after curve after curve with a nice long straight soft band head followed by tight right hander. Hard on the brakes- heel toe go for the downshift to 3rd timed right at entry and%^]!*|!}. …. Knob in hand car in neutral little harder on the brakes. Front starts to wash out- little softer on the brakes and coast through. Whew. I’m just not used to going into a corner without decel and I don’t like it one bit.

So- how are these held on?? Mine has some type of wavy shim but that’s not nearly enough.

Pete
VaccaRabite
You need to replace the crush ring. You may also have a slightly cracked knob that is expanding juuuust enough to keep the crush ring from doing its job.

You can try a paper shim to add a little more grab to your crush ring, but you should not need to. If you try this cut a strip of computer paper about 13mm wide, and put it over the top of the shifter rod. Then drive the knob and crush ring down over the top of it.

I have also installed stockish knobs using just paper an no crush ring. You need to fold the paper a few times and then drive the knob down over it as above. I've also used felt. Whatever so long as you are getting a tight friction fit.

Zach
KELTY360
You might also try a lighter grip on the knob. That was a lesson I learned back in 1973 when the knob came off multiple times and I finally changed grip pressure.
Cairo94507
I agree with VacaRabite - check the knob to be sure it is not cracked along the base/shaft. Order a new crush ring or 3 biggrin.gif . Clean everything and install the knob. It took me a few tries to get mine installed correctly so it was tight. Good luck. beerchug.gif
Steve
I wrapped a piece of black electrical tape around the top of the shaft and then used the insert and knob. Nice tight fit.
bdstone914
QUOTE(peteinjp @ Nov 2 2022, 03:49 AM) *

So yeah – like the title says. We have such excellent driving roads for the 914 here. Curve after curve after curve with a nice long straight soft band head followed by tight right hander. Hard on the brakes- heel toe go for the downshift to 3rd timed right at entry and%^]!*|!}. …. Knob in hand car in neutral little harder on the brakes. Front starts to wash out- little softer on the brakes and coast through. Whew. I’m just not used to going into a corner without decel and I don’t like it one bit.

So- how are these held on?? Mine has some type of wavy shim but that’s not nearly enough.

Pete

Use a genuine Porsche crush ring. I noticed the Dansk rings are a poor fit.
NARP74
I made an install block out of scrap wood to help get it on all the way. Put this over the knob with a few layers of cloth and wack it lightly with a dead blow to get it down all the way. You can measure the depth inside the knob and mark the outside with some tape to make sure it is fully seated.
Click to view attachment
GregAmy
914Rubber sells them, too. That fixed mine.

https://914rubber.com/shifter-crush-sleeve

@Mikey914 , Mark you should add a CNAME DNS record of www.914rubber.com pointing to 914rubber.com. Using the "www" fails as "cannot be found" and I'm sure that may be affecting your web traffic...
jhynesrockmtn
The 74 I bought had a new aftermarket shift knob that was softer than an original. I found the original one in the glovebox. Put it on, hasn't come off since.
StarBear
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 2 2022, 10:42 AM) *

I wrapped a piece of black electrical tape around the top of the shaft and then used the insert and knob. Nice tight fit.

agree.gif
914sgofast2
2 word solution to fix it:
Duct Tape!
TheCabinetmaker
Get a real crush ring
NARP74
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Nov 2 2022, 03:44 PM) *

Get a real crush ring

I agree...
peteinjp
Ok- thanks guys. I'll check the knob for cracks and get a new crush ring and see how that goes. I lightened up my grip after the first time and had no problems but its a bit loose anyway. I watched a vid of Walter Rohrl recently and he drives like hell with just his finger tips dancing on the wheel.... lessons to be learned in grace for sure.

Pete
emerygt350
Last time I autocrossed mine, best run of the day, shifted into 3rd, cause I was going that fast, knob comes off, throw the knob and get it into gear, swearing up a storm. Pull up into grid "oh no, where did I throw that almost irreplaceable original 200 dollar piece of my car..."
Mikey914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 2 2022, 08:15 AM) *

914Rubber sells them, too. That fixed mine.

https://914rubber.com/shifter-crush-sleeve

@Mikey914 , Mark you should add a CNAME DNS record of www.914rubber.com pointing to 914rubber.com. Using the "www" fails as "cannot be found" and I'm sure that may be affecting your web traffic...

Thanks, I'll check it out.
-Mark

PS We make a version with an allen set screw. I will do more up.
-Mark
mlindner
I drilled and taped near the bottom and put in a grub screw. Problem solved.
peteinjp
QUOTE(mlindner @ Nov 3 2022, 07:29 PM) *

I drilled and taped near the bottom and put in a grub screw. Problem solved.

Kinda thinking along those lines if the new shim doesn't do the trick. My hand covers the whole knob so it would have to be a place that I wouldn't notice.

Pete
Cairo94507
I would be concerned about cracking the base of the knob if I drilled and tapped it for a screw. I used a new crush-ring and mine is nice and tight. I do like the block of wood ( @NARP74 ) that fits the diameter of the knob so you can evenly tap it to make sure it is seated all the way down onto the shifter. beerchug.gif
Mikey914
You can add a dab of epoxy. It will grab onto the shifter, but can be broken loose to remove. It's probably the best alternative for a stock knob. Yes the stock will crack.
Ansbacher
I have found that the only way to solve the problem permanently is to drill and tap for a small recessed allen screw. When done, it's barely noticeable and truly keeps the knob on.

Ansbacher
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.