Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater cable removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
obscurity
I was taking the heater cables out before I send the car to paint removal and I can't seem to get the drivers heater cable removed. Is this just a brute force thing or is there a trick? Is it easier to just replace the tube?
jhynesrockmtn
Is it inside the tubes from the rear firewall? It is one wire for both sides from my memory, not two separate ones.
NARP74
One wire for both tubes. Does the cable move at all? If no movement it could have been welded to the tube from a previous repair. Do you want to keep the cable? If not, you can cut off the end that sometimes gets stuck when it enters the tube at the firewall.
obscurity
QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Nov 2 2022, 05:00 PM) *

Is it inside the tubes from the rear firewall? It is one wire for both sides from my memory, not two separate ones.

You are correct. It is one cable with ends that go through two tubes through the fire wall. One came out easy but one has a tight turn and does not want to come out
obscurity
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Nov 2 2022, 05:06 PM) *

One wire for both tubes. Does the cable move at all? If no movement it could have been welded to the tube from a previous repair. Do you want to keep the cable? If not, you can cut off the end that sometimes gets stuck when it enters the tube at the firewall.

They both move but one can not make the turn inside the tube and is stuck
NARP74
Take the rear tunnel panel plate off and see if anything is obstructing it. Could be another repair that hit the tube, even a bolt or screw that dented the tube. You can tell where the problem is by how far it moved until it stops. Work back to there and see if you can find that spot in the tunnel. Should not be any hard bends, more gradual to get the cable through.
mepstein
QUOTE(obscurity @ Nov 2 2022, 06:01 PM) *

Carefully reduce the bend of the tube. You can use a Phillips screwdriver in the end of the tube to reduce the radius by a few degrees
Mikey914
If one is stuck someone may have got creative. Check at the handle. You should be able to cut there and remove easily as it's only the cable going into the engine compartment.
NARP74
Don't forget you have to get one back in if you plan to run heat. Getting it out is easy, lots of options. Might not be so getting one back in. Figure out what is wrong and fix it. Don't be a DAPO. No harm intended...
Mikey914
My money is on it's somehow tethered to the handle, which should be an easy fix.
obscurity
Has anyone replaced the tubes with slightly larger?
bdstone914

[/quote]
Carefully reduce the bend of the tube. You can use a Phillips screwdriver in the end of the tube to reduce the radius by a few degrees
[/quote]

@obscurity

I think Mark is right. I had to do this recently to remove a cable. Look for any kink in the tube. Straighten slightly.

If it is stuck and you cant move it, cut the tube off ahead of the bend and replace it later.
mepstein
[quote name='bdstone914' date='Nov 5 2022, 03:22 PM' post='3039766']
[/quote]
[/quote]

@obscurity

I think Mark is right. I had to do this recently to remove a cable. Look for any kink in the tube. Straighten slightly.

If it is stuck and you cant move it, cut the tube off ahead of the bend and replace it later.
[/quote]
I couldn’t get a new one in one of my cars. Reducing the radius by just a degree or two let it slide in easily.
obscurity
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 2 2022, 06:37 PM) *

Worked like a charm!
mepstein
QUOTE(obscurity @ Nov 6 2022, 12:01 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 2 2022, 06:37 PM) *

Worked like a charm!

Awesome!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.