Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED Turn Signals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adolimpio
I installed LED light bulbs, front and rear and as expected the flasher relay did not like the lack of current, similar to a defective bulb. This caused the flash to be slow and both dash indicators to flash.

When the relay senses low current it removes the ground connection from terminal K, the blue/white wire which is the common for the dash indicators. This causes a loop through the dash indicators causing them both to blink.

I tried the typical solution, which is installing resistors in parallel with each LED, but the standard 6 ohm resistors did not help. I needed to double them to 3 ohm and then the LEDs seemed dim.

I decided to try to override the relay and connected terminal K to terminal 31, brown, which is ground. This caused everything to work perfectly with no resistors installed. The only downside I see is that the relay can no longer warn you when a bulb is defective, but with 10,000 hour LEDs, that's not much of an issue.

I hope this helps others when upgrading to LEDs.
Geezer914
Sent a PM
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.