Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question for 2.7 CIS owners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nate W
Hi, I have a 71 914 and am trying to plan for installing a 2.7 that I have. For those of you that have a 2.7 CIS installed in your car, where did you locate the fuel pump , filter and accumulator? I was planning on installing in the front near the steering rack, but is it a bad idea to have the high pressure lines run through the whole car?

The 911 it came in had pump and accumulator in the engine compartment. I have replaced the main fuel lines with stainless, but are regular “high pressure” rubber fuel lines and the smooth style hose clamps compatible with the 150 PSI CIS fuel pump?

Also do I need to run any additional wiring besides oil temp and oil pressure for this engine? Maybe power for warm up regulator? I appreciate any input.
Thanks
Nate
r_towle
The 914 had some very high pressure coming from the front mounted pump to the fuel pressure regulator in the engine bay.
Get tangerine racing stainless steel lines, it will be fine.

I would rather have the fuel pump up front, underneath tank.
Robarabian
Nate,

PM me with your email or cell number. I have a 914-6 running a CIS 2.7. I also run MSD ignition box with a Bosch distributor.

fuel pump in front.

Stainless steel lines.

Filter and accumulator in engine bay

Power for the WUR, Cold start valve and the Thermo time switch all come from the yellow starter wire. There are diagrams online. (put one on this post for you)

What else? I can send photos of most of it, and my engine is on the floor right now, but I am set to install tomorrow.

RobertClick to view attachment
kerensky
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 4 2022, 06:22 PM) *

I would rather have the fuel pump up front, underneath tank.

It's been about 47 years, and I was a wee lad of 8, but I seem to recall moving the pump under the tank was "the Fix" for vapor lock?
r_towle
Rusty Tank—->filter—->expensive pump—>lines to rear—>filter—> expensive accumulator—-> expensive engine.

Dual fuel filters, they are cheap insurance
sixnotfour
Depending onthe year of 2.7.. some have a return line from accumulator,, and or you can just plug the line,,
Nate W
Thanks for the replies
arbitrary
Watching this with interest… my 73 6 conversion has a 1980 3.0 SC engine but is fitted with a 2.7 CIS system. I guess that was the solution decided upon to get around the lambda stuff that would have fitted to a 1980 engine. But presumably due to engine compartment constraints the cold start injector was removed. And the WUR gets power all the time, not just when cranking.
Robarabian
That is a matter of wiring. Somehow they wired that hot instead of from the Starter Yellow lead. Easy to fix likely. (WUR)

Here is the link to the CIS Primer Page that I have learned alot from

https://www.jimsbasementworkshop.com/CIS/CIShome.html

QUOTE(arbitrary @ Nov 6 2022, 02:45 AM) *

Watching this with interest… my 73 6 conversion has a 1980 3.0 SC engine but is fitted with a 2.7 CIS system. I guess that was the solution decided upon to get around the lambda stuff that would have fitted to a 1980 engine. But presumably due to engine compartment constraints the cold start injector was removed. And the WUR gets power all the time, not just when cranking.
Root_Werks
My 2.7 conversion has the fuel pump up front (1975 914, easy peasy). The accumulator, filter etc. reside on the stock 911 mounting assembly. I mounted the entire assemble on the passenger side where the 914-4 altitude thingy went.

I'll see if I can get a picture.
Root_Werks
Filter on top, accumulator below. PO had the assembly mounted where the 4cyl EDU would've gone, but I mounted the MSD box there. Had to find a new home for the fuel stuff. Seems to work well, although I haven't tried pulling spark plugs yet.

Root_Werks
Different angle, the fuel filter is an easy swap which is nice.

nditiz1
SOT: I really like how well CIS works, but damn if carbs don't free up room

Click to view attachment
Nate W
Rootwerks thanks for the pictures, can you show any around the area of the fuel distributor/ rear trunk area? I see there are a few versions of the FD and all are a tight fit. Some people have mentioned turning the CIS around for 914s but the few pictures I’ve seen are a different CIS system than what I have (1974)Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
I'll get some better pics soon. Done a few CIS engines in 914's. Most common way to make things fit is rotate the fuel dist 180. Mines rotated 90. PO built a pretty snazzy plenum to accommodate the 90 rotation.
mb911
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 6 2022, 03:36 PM) *

I'll get some better pics soon. Done a few CIS engines in 914's. Most common way to make things fit is rotate the fuel dist 180. Mines rotated 90. PO built a pretty snazzy plenum to accommodate the 90 rotation.

I am going to be helping someone do this over the winter. Gotta figure out how to fit everything.
sixnotfour
73 special 74 -75 special 76-77 speciall ,, thats 2.4 t0 2.7 early 3.0
Root_Werks
Believe my CIS system is the 74-75, at least the fuel distributor is. Took me a moment to get the in/out correct (no arrow).

Here's a shot with engine in before my 914 was sent off for paint. It shows the 90 rotation and air filter on the side rather than toward the firewall/fan. It's not something I would have thought about doing, but turned out pretty nice.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.