Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tarett Sway Bar and Backer Plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LefthandRev
I picked up a Tarett front sway bar. I also bought the triangle backing plate for reinforcing the inside wall of the wheel well. This is going to mount to my Elephant Racing GT3 front suspension.

I just got off the phone with Elephant Racing. I asked them if it was necessary to trim the plate, or if it should be oriented with the flat side down... they didn't have an answer and said only one other person had asked that question ever...

Tarett Adjustable Sway Bar

So, Teeners... does anyone have experience with the plate and this setup?

IPB Image

tygaboy
In order to fit the backer plate, you have to cut a slot in the support structure on the inside of the chassis so the plate can drop into position. I opted to cut that backer, weld the lower element to the Mad Dog reinforement plate as a captured nut. You can see the burn through on the one marked "pass". Then I welded the cut edge of the backer to the chassis.
These are pics of things in process.
LefthandRev
Well, first off - thanks for showing me pics. It's really a shame that it can't be installed with the triangle plate pointing upward.

Makes me with I had asked someone about this before I pulled the trigger. I don't have access to a welder, so I think I'm going to have to take it somewhere.

I am glad to know about the Mad Dog reinforcements.

When I got off the phone with Elephant this morning, he said that the plates were designed not to need welding, but I think that's just not going to work for a 914 with the reinforcement interfering with the backing plate.

I guess I should reach out to Mad Dog and get a set of those plates.

Retroracer
To be clear - to fit the plate to the car you don't need to weld anything; just to grind / cut out the slot as Chris's photos show. He opted to weld / attach it to the body & add reinforcing plates - but you don't HAVE to. Those reinforcing plates are optional, but do help spread suspension loads from the bar nicely.

Chris's car ( @Tygaboy ) is modified slightly over stock smile.gif , so he is applying best practices and making sure - as he would say - "that's not going anywhere"

- Tony
LefthandRev
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Nov 7 2022, 02:05 PM) *

To be clear - to fit the plate to the car you don't need to weld anything; just to grind / cut out the slot as Chris's photos show. He opted to weld / attach it to the body & add reinforcing plates - but you don't HAVE to. Those reinforcing plates are optional, but do help spread suspension loads from the bar nicely.

Chris's car is modified slightly over stock smile.gif , so he is applying best practices and making sure - as he would say - "that's not going anywhere"

- Tony

I appreciate that input, Tony. I reached out to Chuck at Elephant Racing for his input as well, but I think this is enough encouragement for me to get my 2.0L/4 doing the right thing.

Since it's dry with blue skies here in Seattle, surprisingly, I think I'll take it out for a spin and burn off some of that gas in the tank so it'll be easier to pull.

Cheers!
willieg
I went the Tarrett route with my front sway bar. No welding required. Grind the slots and place bracket, point down, as shown in Chris’s picture. Gas tank needs to be pulled so this is a good time to replace old fuel lines with stainless steel lines. BTW: Don’t pay too much attention to the way Chris does things. His skill sets are way beyond most of us.
NARP74
A coupe of similar pics at the bottom of this build thread. I love build threads...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...27376&st=40
LefthandRev
Got it all installed on Tuesday, did some driving Wednesday, tuned it up today. It's cornering like a chief now. Unreal! I wouldn't have believed the improvement had I not done this.

The car is so responsive now. Mated with the Elephant Racing GT3 front end, this thing just holds the ground.

infraredcalvin
Would you mind sharing some pics of the ER GT3 front suspension?
LefthandRev
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Nov 10 2022, 06:00 PM) *

Would you mind sharing some pics of the ER GT3 front suspension?

Sure. Sorry if these come out too large. They're hosted on Imgur and I don't feel like going through the process of resizing them, as they've been up there for a while. The pics with the Tarett are new as of this week.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

ValcoOscar
NICE....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW0QWYnA1x0
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.