Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flatten Curly Vinyl?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StarBear
Cleaning out under the seats while replacing carpet. Would like to flatten the edges of the vinyl covering the seat “dams(?)” as long as everything is open.
Have soaked it in vinyl treatment to soften. See pic, of course.
Would a hair drier work to soften it further, followed by light wood block press maybe?
If not, some other technique?
Thanks!
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
@StarBear

are these the pieces of vinyl you are talking about?

Click to view attachment

photo of mine when i was going through it recommissioning a couple of years ago.
i recall its very thin vinyl. unusually thin.
probably so it could take up all the different contours.
it was all curled like yours at the edges.

i washed them in warm soapy water. got them all clean.
because i did not want to use any "pollutants" that might affect a later glueing process.
i glued them all back down again with a contact adhesive.
using the double tack method. ie i also sprayed glue in the area of floor i was glueing to.
(i marked it out and made a paper stencil to stop overspray.
it appeared to hold the edges down which had curled tightly as you describe.

mind you i have not had a look to see whats happened since.
its probably curled again. not sure.

the problem with the vinyl is that like all plastics it gradually ages and loses its plasticizers. i think that is the generic name for the compounds used to make flexible plastics.

i'd be cautious using heat as it often has a result which exaggerates the curling.
ie it makes it de-plastize even further.

another solution would be to find some vinyl sheet from an uphostery source that matches the original and use that.
however i think it will be hard to find sheet vinyl as thin as the original stuff.
StarBear
Yes, those pieces, particularly the ones going across the channel in front of the seat rails.
Was wondering and not sure about the heat, so thanks for the warning.
Hadn’t thought about gluing them down; might remove, clean and prep then glue. beer.gif
JeffBowlsby
Wait for a hot summer day to heat them up and flatten them.
StarBear
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Nov 8 2022, 01:58 PM) *

Wait for a hot summer day to heat them up and flatten them.

Looks like I’ve maybe missed the window of the season for that. Next summer project!
@wonkipop Here is a better pic of the section of vinyl of note. Not easy/able to remove without removing the console box by the looks of it. So, will go with Mr. B’s option.
One side finished with prep; waiting for some new hardware and finish prepping driver’s side. beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.