Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CA DMV....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CCSmith58
---I'll EDIT the post---
Thanks to all for the for the replies !!
I was just a little worried about CA DMV getting too much info, but what the hell.....
I'll throw out some more about the car and my issues...

My concern is that when the car is complete it will NOT be a 1975 1.8 4cyl 914.
'75 chassis / frame - '95 rebuilt / modified 3.6 engine
'74 rebuilt / modified 915 Transaxle - Performance Suspension - ect....
I bought the chassis / frame from a Gentleman in Utah.
A roller. No engine or trans.
The Title was not in his name.
It's a Colorado Title from the Owner he bought it from in 2016
The car is currently in Utah being restored / rebuilt.
I'm not sure if the car has all 4 (?) of the VIN tags / stamps.
I'll check with the Builder in Utah.
There we go...
I'll start asking about CA Insurance later....

Hello 914ers !!
looking for info on registering an out of state, MODIFIED 914 with CA DMV.
I'm in Los Angeles County. 5 miles N & W of the RoseBowl.
Message me for more details of the vehicle.
I'm a ways away from a finished car.
Just want to start gathering info..... THANKS !!Click to view attachment
SO.O.C914er
What year is the car that will make a difference?
CCSmith58
The body is a 1975
Lucky9146
Best bet is AAA if you have it. I had a '74 that had been off the road for many years in WA, was brought back into CA by previous owner who never registered in CA for the 3 years he had it. I was worried. Went to AAA, they verified VIN and Bada Bing I was in business. Good luck.

driving.gif white914.jpg
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Nov 7 2022, 06:09 PM) *
Best bet is AAA if you have it.

agree.gif

Find a AAA office nearby and go there in person.
Hands down the best and easiest way to deal with anything DMV related here in CA.
driving.gif
Robarabian
Make sure the car has the frunk VIN plate, the Window sill vin plate AND the door sticker. Without all 3, AAA and DMV will reject you and make you go to the CHP for further. Then you may have to get a "reissued" VIN which you want to avoid. If you need a replacement door sticker, they are easy to get, takes about 6 weeks.

AAA looked at the window Vin and the door jamb one, and just glanced at the one in the Frunk. But they did look.

The car was registered in CA, was bought by Ric Birks in Utah. Then I bought it and came back to CA and it was missing the door sticker...Because it was "out of state" event though I had the original CA plates in the car, they said it needed full VIN inspection.

I didnt bring the car to them first, I started the paperwork and they gave me a heads up as to what was required. I got a temporary registration for 30 days and told them it was in the mechanics shop. That gave me time to get the sticker and install it so everything matched. Passed no problem then.
Steve
agree.gif
Go to AAA if you can. I moved from CA to AZ and then back to CA with my 2.7 six. Same crap with the DMV, but my door jam sticker was missing. He didn’t ask about the missing door jam sticker, but this was 22 years ago. My car is also a 75.
Cairo94507
CarBone does the door VIN stickers. beerchug.gif
sb914
Definitely use AAA super easy. When we moved to Oregon I went into the dmv and there was Only ONE person in line. I thought I was in a twilight zone episode!
ValcoOscar
agree.gif

Go to AAA

I've brought in about 5 P cars from out of state, super easy as long as VIN plates and paperwork check out.

I had George of Auto Atlanta do my door jamb decal a year ago, and had it within 10 days.

O

willieg
1975 cars and older are exempt from emission controls in California. That is a huge plus. Because ofCovid, the DMV offices were not doing inspections when I wanted to register my 1974 914. So, I went to a business that works with the DMV and this business does all of the face to face with the DMV. They came to my house, as the car was not running, checked the VINs in all the right places and two weeks later, I had a registered vehicle.
CCSmith58
edit bump
DennisV
QUOTE(CCSmith58 @ Nov 7 2022, 05:11 PM) *

I called CHP about VIN verification so I could see what it would take to title our 356 in California. All the expected ID plates and stamps are present and matching. I have a clean title from another state. The engine is sitting in the floor next to the car. The officer politely but firmly told me:
  1. We will not come to your location. If it won't run, you have to bring it on a trailer.
  2. Neither CHP nor DMV will verify a car unless the drive train is installed in the car.
914sgofast2
You will probably need an “official “ brake and light inspection to get that 914 licensed and registered in California before the DMV will give plates and papers.
bkrantz
QUOTE(DennisV @ Nov 10 2022, 04:38 PM) *

QUOTE(CCSmith58 @ Nov 7 2022, 05:11 PM) *

I called CHP about VIN verification so I could see what it would take to title our 356 in California. All the expected ID plates and stamps are present and matching. I have a clean title from another state. The engine is sitting in the floor next to the car. The officer politely but firmly told me:
  1. We will not come to your location. If it won't run, you have to bring it on a trailer.
  2. Neither CHP nor DMV will verify a car unless the drive train is installed in the car.

Sounds bureaucratically strict. In Colorado my county (the taxing authority) told me to call city police. They sent a compliance officer to my house. He checked the VIN on the repainted car (windshield pillar number plate and stamped front inner fender), with the engine still on the stand, and issued the paperwork for my CO title.
PCH
I registered a 1971-4 in California. AAA wanted to see all the smog related stickers in the right places. One wasn't readable because of wear and its location relative to the light.

I had to get a "new" sticker in order to complete the registration process.
Mike Bellis
In California a 1975 vehicle is exempt from bi-annual smog inspections but not exempt from properly functioning smog equipment. Every vehicle entering the state needing registration will require a VIN inspection.

If you want to be compliant with the law, The car, when running will need to go to a referee inspector to verify the drivetrain, and then they will put a BAR sticker that defines it will be required to have ALL of the donor engine's smog equipment in place. If it's a '95 motor, you need all the smog equipment from the donor car. Since there are no smog inspection requirements, you could possibly skip this step.

Be advised that pre-C-demic, the CA DMV would run random rolling smog inspections. I haven't seen any since 2019. They are very rare but could put you in violation if you get caught in one. They also dip diesel fuel tanks in trucks looking for red diesel (farm or tax-free fuel).

If the car has a "salvage" title, you will need the brake and light inspection. Otherwise, you won't need one.

The VIN verification is real. I have done both the DMV and CHP. DMV was easier as they know nothing about cars. The CHP knows about VIN's and modifications. I recommend the DMV. They will look for common VIN locations and not at the engine at all. Trailer it in and don't mention there is no engine. No VIN in the engine bay. If they ask why you trailered... "No tags", so you can't drive it.

If you are the current registered owner, it's easier to make the transfer and usually cheaper. Just pay all the fees they have and you should be done.

I've brought several cars /motorcycles into the CA. going direct to the DMV is by far the best way to go. Just don't volunteer too much information. Glad I don't live there now. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.