Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GB: D-Jet ECU testing session UPDATE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
I am holding a D-Jet ECU testing session on November 26, using my VW-128 tester. This is for the 1.7L and 2.0L cars only. The tester is an interposer configuration and I use an NOS 049 MPS interposed with your ECU to test them together to evaluate all ECU functions.

6 ECUs are currently in the queue for testing.

The cost is $125. + return shipping cost with a brief report of what was tested and its results. I do these in batches to minimize set-up time and cost. If you send it to me by Nov 26, I can include it. Paypal preferred, checks also accepted.

If interested send me your zip code and email address by PM for a full quote with shipping cost.
friethmiller
Jeff, I've got 4 ECUs that need testing. Will send in one box. PM with Zip sent.
TX914

Does testing include the CO adjustment knob on the ECU? I have an ECU from a 76 (0 280 000 052) where the knob seems to have no effect unless full clockwise (TPS properly adjusted). If testing indicates bad, can that potentiometer be replaced?
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(TX914 @ Nov 9 2022, 04:45 AM) *

Does testing include the CO adjustment knob on the ECU? I have an ECU from a 76 (0 280 000 052) where the knob seems to have no effect unless full clockwise (TPS properly adjusted). If testing indicates bad, can that potentiometer be replaced?

The VW1218 tests the ECU in functional blocks (circuits). The idle AFR pot is part of one of the circuits tested, but the pot is not discretely tested in this process. If that circuit block is found to be defective then the pot can be removed, tested and replaced if its bad, but I do not do ECU repairs.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Jeff can you actually test a control unit without also having it installed on the car? The old tester we had needed to be hooked up inbetween the control unit and the the factory control unit wiring harness.

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Nov 8 2022, 08:34 AM) *

I am holding a D-Jet ECU testing session on November 26, using my VW-128 tester. This is for the 1.7L and 2.0L cars only. The tester is an interposer configuration and I use an NOS 049 MPS interposed with your ECU to test them together to evaluate all ECU functions.

6 ECUs are currently in the queue for testing.

The cost is $125. + return shipping cost with a brief report of what was tested and its results. I do these in batches to minimize set-up time and cost. If you send it to me by Nov 26, I can include it. Paypal preferred, checks also accepted.

If interested send me your zip code and email address by PM for a full quote with shipping cost.

JeffBowlsby
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Nov 9 2022, 09:40 AM' post='3040448']
Jeff can you actually test a control unit without also having it installed on the car? The old tester we had needed to be hooked up inbetween the control unit and the the factory control unit wiring harness.

They are tested as installed into a D-Jet car. All the testers require to be interposed into the FI system.
rjames
Great service you're offering Jeff.

On a related note, I would love to hear recommendations based on actual experience for where the ECUs can be rebuilt.

I have one that is bad (causes the car to go rich and stall) but testing may not reveal anything wrong because it only happens intermittently. As the ECUs are getting harder to find I'd like to try and get it repaired so I have a spare. Although narrowing down what needs to be fixed on it would probably be difficult given the issue is intermittent.
JeffBowlsby
Had a great turn out for this testing session. I ended up with 17 D-Jet ECUs in total to evaluate. The VW1218 tester does an excellent job of evaluating the ECU functions in 9 separate sectors and tests the sectors individually. I also provide a summary report indicating which sectors are good/bad, but basically for each ECU with a bad sector, the tester manual recommends that the ECU be replaced.

4 ECUs turned out to have one or more bad sectors, but 3 of the bad ones were previously known to be defective and were from my stash.

Thanks to everyone who participated I hope you will find peace of mind knowing whether your ECU is good (or bad) and the information generally useful.

One thing that was interesting was that one of the ECUs that had one or more bad sectors actually functioned well...because I ran my 2.0L with it. So just because you might think an ECU is good...it might not be.

I will plan another one of these sessions in the spring for anyone interested.
Quinn Moore
Great, I'll be on the spring run. (Missed this one, due to car being in the shop).

flag.gif

QM
rudedude
Bosch D-Jetronic factory fuel injection tester. There is one of these for sale on craigslist near where I live if anyone is interested. Not to take anything away from Jeff's service but I can't believe there are many left.
friethmiller
Jeff,

Thanks for offering this service. Just got your message about my ECU (it passed). You are more than welcome to restore my ECU case before sending it back. biggrin.gif Kidding! Looking forward to doing that part myself.

JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(rudedude @ Nov 29 2022, 06:21 AM) *

Bosch D-Jetronic factory fuel injection tester. There is one of these for sale on craigslist near where I live if anyone is interested. Not to take anything away from Jeff's service but I can't believe there are many left.

The equipment I used for this is actually a Grundig tester AKA VW1218, not Bosch. I have a Bosch tester also but it tests the FI system and it’s components in a different way and does not evaluate the ECU to the level of detail as the VW1218.
friethmiller
Any recommendations on cleaning up/restoring the ECU case? I've seen them painted gray but want to keep it unpainted/original.
TonyA
I would like to know that answer as well?
rjames
What are the 9 sectors in an ECU?
friethmiller
QUOTE(TonyA @ Nov 29 2022, 04:49 PM) *

Might be like restoring the 914 horn. I used a Dremel with a mini-wire brush on it. Turned out pretty good.

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 29 2022, 02:53 PM) *

What are the 9 sectors in an ECU?

JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Nov 30 2022, 06:17 AM) *

QUOTE(TonyA @ Nov 29 2022, 04:49 PM) *

Might be like restoring the 914 horn. I used a Dremel with a mini-wire brush on it. Turned out pretty good.

Click to view attachment

Looks great!
seanpaulmc
Missed this tread entirely! headbang.gif

I have two boxes for your Spring run. Look forward to hearing about it. Thanks, Jeff!

-Sean

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Nov 28 2022, 07:19 PM) *

Had a great turn out for this testing session. I ended up with 17 D-Jet ECUs in total to evaluate. The VW1218 tester does an excellent job of evaluating the ECU functions in 9 separate sectors and tests the sectors individually. I also provide a summary report indicating which sectors are good/bad, but basically for each ECU with a bad sector, the tester manual recommends that the ECU be replaced.

4 ECUs turned out to have one or more bad sectors, but 3 of the bad ones were previously known to be defective and were from my stash.

Thanks to everyone who participated I hope you will find peace of mind knowing whether your ECU is good (or bad) and the information generally useful.

One thing that was interesting was that one of the ECUs that had one or more bad sectors actually functioned well...because I ran my 2.0L with it. So just because you might think an ECU is good...it might not be.

I will plan another one of these sessions in the spring for anyone interested.

emerygt350
Is this going to happen before the salt is off the roads? Also... If something is broken, is there anything that can be done or is it just find a good one?
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jan 25 2023, 07:36 PM) *

Is this going to happen before the salt is off the roads? Also... If something is broken, is there anything that can be done or is it just find a good one?

I calendared a prompt for April but we can do it most any convenient time with a couple weeks to organize it ad collect the ECUs. Just need to do more than a few to justify the equipment set-up time. If an ECU is dead or unfunctional in some way, just replace it. I tested 16 last time and only 1 was bad.

Anyone who is interested please post that here in this thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.